PDA

View Full Version : Brothers in arms re-enlist to fight together

thedrifter
08-10-07, 11:18 AM
Brothers in arms re-enlist to fight together
Lance Cpl. Shawn M. Coolman

MARINE CORPS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif.(Aug. 9, 2007) -- With 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment ready to deploy to Iraq, approximately a dozen dedicated Marines and Sailors chose to re-enlist or extend.

Eleven Marines and two Navy corpsmen of Company I chose to re-enlist or extend so they can stay with each other for another tour in Iraq.

"The main reason they extended is because of their fellow Marines here," said 1st Sgt. Thomas D. Russi, 40, Company I first sergeant, from Temecula. "They are top caliber Marines and Sailors, they have benefited the strength of the company."

The service members said they chose to remain together for several reasons.

"I didn't feel like I was done yet," said Cpl. Brandon A. Koch, 24, a mortarman from Potosi, Mo. "I have new Marines that I didn't want to send over to Iraq by themselves."

"Originally I wasn't going to extend but I felt that it wasn't my time to leave," said Cpl. Cody C. Turpen, 22, a squad leader from Del City, Okla.

"I am going to do another four years and see what happens from there. Mainly because of the guys I came in with. I couldn't see them go to Iraq without me.

"Also, I have a wife and a child on the way, and I need to do what is best for my family," said Turpen.

The Marines and Sailors capitalized on the opportunity to pass invaluable experience and knowledge they've learned in Iraq to younger Marines who haven't deployed yet.

"I got to deal with two different deployments, I can give them knowledge of their weapon systems and infantry knowledge," said Koch.

"Having these guys here is very good for our company because of all their experience," said Pfc. Chris J. Rogers, 21, a mortarman from Brighton, Mich. "And it helps all of the guys who haven't been over there yet."

It takes a dedicated warrior to stay for another deployment, said Russi, adding that the Marines and Sailors who re-enlisted represent the top leadership for Company I, and they have the love for the Corps to stay for another deployment.

Ellie