PDA

View Full Version : Marines celebrate 58th Commemoration...

thedrifter
03-24-03, 07:41 AM
Marines celebrate 58th Commemoration...
Battle of Iwo Jima remembered
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 200332403454
Story by Lance Cpl. John F. Silwanus

IWO JIMA, Japan(March 24, 2003) -- Marines, Sailors, veterans and members of the Japan Ground Self Defense Force recently celebrated the 58th Commemoration of the Battle of Iwo Jima here.

The commemoration marks the anniversary of one of the Marine Corps' bloodiest battles. During the battle more than 6,800 Marines, Sailors and Soldiers lost their lives trying to capture the island.

"I still get a little choked up whenever I talk about it," said retired Marine Capt. Cyril O'Brien, a sergeant during the battle. "This ceremony represents what you feel, it brings a lot forward about the battle, about what happened here."

The ceremony recognized the warriors who fought in the battle, and honored the continuing ties between the U.S. and Japan. Several speakers came forward to recount the heroism shown on the island for those 36 days the war raged on.

For some of the younger Marines in the audience, the ceremony spoke to them and helped them realize its history.

"To me, being a part of the ceremony was a great honor because it brought all the veterans together and if it had not been for them we would not be here now," said Sgt. Jenny M. Goddbiff, a member of the color guard for the ceremony and Balch Springs, Texas native. "I also was able to see the island which is an opportunity very few are granted."

After the ceremony, many of the participants and guests traveled around the island visiting the sites, including the black sand of Invasion Beach, the steep climbs of Mount Suribachi and the Japanese cave fortresses underneath the surface.

"When I first arrived on the island, all I wanted to do was go explore, I think it's a huge part of our heritage as Marines," said Lance Cpl. Todd J. Howard, a member of the 21-gun salute and Waitsfield, Vt., native. "It defines who we are and what we are willing to do at a moment's notice."

The conclusion of the ceremony also allowed time for the veterans to reflect on what they had done with a younger generation of Marines.

"I got a definite feel of how much what we were doing meant to each of the many veterans that I spoke to," said Cpl. Rogan McCauley, who delivered a wreath to the monument during the ceremony. "I couldn't possibly describe the feeling that I had as I executed an "about face" and rendered a salute to the war veterans. I felt so much pride, honor, respect and awe at that time all at once. It was a great thing and I again feel I was privileged to be a part of it."

Sempers,

Roger

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200332403814/$file/Iwo.gif

Cpl. Rogan McCauley, telephone switchboard technician, B Company, Headquarters and Service Battalion, Marine Corps Base, lays a wreath at the foot of the Monument of Reunion during the 58th Commemoration Ceremony of the Battle of Iwo Jima. McCauley was part of a group of Marines to participate in the ceremony.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. John F. Silwanus

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200332405020/$file/Iwo2.gif

Lance Cpl. Antonio Rodriguez (right) and Sgt. Jenny M. Goddbiff, stand tall with the national colors during the 58th Commemoration Ceremony of the Battle for Iwo Jima. The ceremony recognized the warriors who fought in the battle, and honored the continuing ties between the U.S. and Japan.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. John F. Silwanus