PDA

View Full Version : Marine back from war zone

thedrifter
08-07-07, 04:44 AM
Marine back from war zone
By Rebecca Hattaway
CLAREMORE PROGRESS (CLAREMORE, Okla.)

CLAREMORE, Okla. — Sgt. Mark Dean has made his family proud.

In the Marines since 2003, Dean has served three tours of duty in Iraq.

Among his many accolades, he is the recipient of the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, as well as several other medals and ribbons that adorn his uniform.

Now he’s planning a career in the military.

“The pride that you have — you can’t describe it to anybody,” said his wife, Becky, who is expecting their first child. “And when you see others support him, that’s a whole other feeling.”

It’s an emotion shared by his mother, Diana Dean of Owasso, and grandmother, Ruth Fuller of Claremore.

“I have spent time on my knees,” Diana Dean said. “I give God thanks and glory for his safe return and for how supportive Becky has been.”

After making their home in Owasso and attending Rogers State University since his last deployment, the couple has recently moved to Camp Pendleton, Calif.

“I will be an instructor until my officer package comes back from the general,” Dean said.

They will then return to Oklahoma where he plans to attend the University of Oklahoma and earn a bachelor’s degree before beginning flight school.

“My main goal is to fly now — I want to try that side of the Marines,” he said.

Dean entered the military right before the war in Iraq and upon graduating from boot camp was immediately sent overseas.

“I was always fascinated by the Marines — what I’d seen in movies — and I wanted to fight for my country,” he said.

During his three stints in Iraq, Dean has seen the success the U.S. military has had in “training the Iraqi army and police to take over their own territory,” he said. “The first and second tours compared to the third shows they’ve come a long way. Last time I was in the city of Ar Ramadi we were attacked every day. There was fighting all day, every day. But I got word from them that they haven’t been attacked in five months. The Iraqi army and police have taken over the city and are rebuilding it. The people are happy.”

It was news he was especially glad to hear for the sake of the Iraqi children with whom he had bonded.

“I love the children over there. I’ll never forget them — they’re precious,” he said. “We would talk to them in Arabic a little and help them calm down and go to sleep. They would hold on to their Marine’s legs and say ‘please don’t leave us; when you’re here we’re safe.’”

However, it was his comrades Dean was most concerned about.

“It’s a family,” he said. “I consider them my brothers; without each other, we’re dead.”

His dedication to his men was recognized with the Bronze Star, the fourth highest combat medal, with a Combat V for Valor.

“I received this for two different battles,” he explained. “I exposed myself to fire — being attacked from nine or 10 different positions all around — while I helped direct fires, helped my guys and made sure they had ammo.”

When a mortar landed next to him, shrapnel was lodged in his leg, but Dean continued to fight, and later received a Purple Heart.

“I was just doing my job,” he contended. “I wanted every one of my men to return home.”

Even when talking to family back home, Dean’s men were never far from his thoughts.

“He stayed in line for hours to make a one-minute phone call — he was faithful to do that,” Diana Dean said. “He would say, ‘Pray for my men. I want to bring them back home to their families.’”

But any praise he receives from his loved ones, Dean quickly differs back to them, grateful for their faithful support throughout the time they were apart.

“The wives — they give thanks to us, but we need to thank the wives,” he said. “They have it the hardest. We signed up for it, but this was involuntary for them.”

Dean has continued to keep in touch with his men.

“I try to call them every week,” he said. “They’re all doing great. They’re all making something of themselves — they actually have the discipline to do it now.”

Rebecca Hattaway writes for Claremore (Okla.) Progress.

Ellie