PDA

View Full Version : ? about Admin Sep

AMARINELOVESME
08-05-07, 11:37 PM
Hello everyone,
My husband has been a marine for 5 1/2 years now and has recently been having problems with his knee. An MRI was done and nothing was found as the cause of his pain. When he went in for the results the doc told him that since they were unable to find anything wrong with his knee his command can start the admin sep process. I am in the dark about the whole process and what he can do. My husband loves being a Marine and the thought of admin sep is really bothering him. If anyone can explain to me what the process is I would greatly appreciate it. My husband doesn't want to talk to me about it since he only gets very upset when he thinks about it.
Thank you for all of your help!

GySgtRet
08-06-07, 08:07 AM
At my 16 year mark in the Marine Corps I was facing a medical seperation. I have degenerative disk in my lower spine L4 to L5 at S1. Anyway, the neurologist did not know what the diagnosis was because she hadn't consulted the orthopdeidic doctor she just assumed that I had a neurological problem. A long story short. Make them diagnose your husbands knee problem. Just because there is nothing found doesn't mean there isn't something wrong. It took my persistance for 2 years to get the diagnoses from the ortho. Just my advice to you both.

Good luck Ma'am

dscusmc
08-06-07, 09:06 AM
Admin sep boards and medical boards can get a little complicated. I've seen a number of cases where a Marine is experiencing pain and he can't pass a PFT - all sorts of things can happen. I don't...

GySgtRet
08-06-07, 09:28 AM
Well put. I couldn't think of all the widgets to adive. Thank you Marine.

TuckerMarineMom
03-13-08, 11:22 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum but have a question - if I'm in the wrong place, please do direct me. I have 2 sons currently on the Island in recruit training. One is thriving and the other has a broken pelvis. All that I know is the injured recruit is facing a Physical Evaluation Board. It sounds very serious. My question is what to expect and just what should I do to support my son?

Idena
03-13-08, 03:45 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum but have a question - if I'm in the wrong place, please do direct me. I have 2 sons currently on the Island in recruit training. One is thriving and the other has a broken pelvis. All that I know is the injured recruit is facing a Physical Evaluation Board. It sounds very serious. My question is what to expect and just what should I do to support my son?

You might have better luck posting this as its own topic so that more people see it. Good luck - I don't have an answer for you, but I can point my husband in the direction of this thread later on, because he should certainly know.

SlingerDun
03-13-08, 05:06 PM
Hello everyone,
My husband has been a marine for 5 1/2 years now and has recently been having problems with his knee. An MRI was done and nothing was found as the cause of his painThe MR image alone is not a diagnosis, its a tool. Combined with range of motion and flexion tests, palpation and doctor/patient and or doctor/doctor discussion, "can" lead to a diagnosis. This injury was not diagnosed and indeed neglected if all the medical personnel relied on were images that revealed no pathology. As the Gunny mentioned this Marine needs a professional diagnosis. It's in the realm of an orthopedic surgeon. He needs to locate said professional.

My observations with animals of the 4 legged performance variety that exhibit sudden knee lameness without clinical signs beyond pain are; often experiencing micro ligament or tendon tears that may or may not show up on soft tissue imaging films. If the injury remains stressed it seems to take forever to heal. If the pain subsides for weeks or months followed by acute pain, it was tested to soon. Problems inside the joint capsule are also common but usually show up as inflammation. Fluid pockets would be detectable and arthritis or any bone remodeling would show up on film. He might want to consider a glucosamine MSM supplement if the pain persists and is soft tissue joint related. Has he tried DMSO for pain relief?

--->Dave

Phantom Blooper
03-13-08, 05:52 PM
About the knee problem....I agree with Slinger Dun that MRI and X-Rays are tools....even though not active five years ago I injured my knee and I complained and it was masked by they didn't see anything and gave anti-inflammatory meds and wanted to give pain but I declined and took Tylenol.

To make a shorter version they set up exploratory arthroscope surgery in June 2005 after 2 1/2 years and seen tears and rips that were repaired.

The pain except arthritis in both knees went away.

Cold and damp weather bothers it.

I also agree with the Lt's advice and I also agree with the GySgt's advice.

Have a pinpointed diagnosis and treatment before any separation procedures start....if this means taking it up the chain of command.

It will save hassle in the long run and later with the VA process whether he is processed out or retires later in life.Good luck to him...and hang in there.:evilgrin: