PDA

View Full Version : Question about MOS (computers)

Marine2B
07-19-02, 05:41 PM
I enlisted in the DEP about 8 months ago under the Data Systems program. I was told that it was basically PC repair and networking and stuff like that. The computer world is pretty much based on what certifications you have when it comes time to get a job and I was wondering exactly what certifications I would be recieving.

Sixguns
07-19-02, 06:56 PM
As a Marine, you will attend military schools to give you the basic understanding of your job/MOS as a Marine. The education and training does not stop here. As we all know, the computer and information technology is changing and advancing at a rapid rate. Our Marines must be able to keep pace with the times. Yesterday's training will not satisfy tomorrow's demands. I have several Marines who work within my command who are in this MOS.

They have Microsoft and other certification in a variety of areas including Windows NT, Java, HTML, networks, and LAN. They are also capable of upgrading systems and repairing CPUs. As if this weren't enough, they also attend user classes on the Microsoft Windows 2000 and all the associated software (access, excel, front page, etc.) These classes are the same ones that you might be able to attend at a local college. Even places like Office Depot, Staples and Office Max have seminars and training for these areas. As Marines in this field, these classes are paid for in full by the Marine Corps because it is a job requirement.

Whether you get the training as a Marine in a military school or through a civilian agency, you will be provided all certificates and training records to document your technical ability.

As an example of how marketable you may be, I had a friend here who left the Marine Corps as a Gunnery Sergeant with less than 12 years of service. He decided to leave the Marine Corps and give up his computer career and opportunity to retire in order to pursue a career outside the Corps in computers. Take a look at the military pay chart for a GySgt with more then 12 years of service and you will better understand why he left His pay doubled leaving the Corps!!!

smnelson
07-19-02, 10:23 PM
Sixguns is right on the money. I'm "Data Dink", as we are sometimes called, and I can tell you first hand, the Marine Corps has given me some great opportunities. I started back in '91 as a COBOL programmer, from there I went to UNIX Systems Administrator school, NT Administrator training, Web Design training, and quite a few other courses. Because the technology moves so fast, the Corps has to really try to keep the guys that can learn this stuff, so we get sent to a lot of high speed training. I can tell you that I'll have been in the Marines for 11 years in Sept. and I've been a GySgt since Feb. of this year. The main reason I stick around our Beloved Marine Corps, is because I love the camaraderie, what we stand for, and the fact that we can really make a difference in the world. I can also tell you that although making money is important, you truly have to love what you do!! And I truly love being a U.S. Marine!! If you have any other specific questions, I'd be more than happy to answer whatever you can throw at me!!