PDA

View Full Version : LULAC recognizes logistics Marine

thedrifter
08-03-07, 06:25 PM
LULAC recognizes logistics Marine

By Cpl. G. P. Ingersoll, MCB Camp Pendleton

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (Aug. 3, 2007) -- Try to talk to Col. Juan G. Ayala about his achievements, and he'll talk to you about good Marines.

To him, winning the League of United Latin American Citizens Excellence in Military Service Award for 2007 is a testament of the hard work and dedication of the people around him.

Ayala, currently the chief of staff of 1st Marine Logistics Group, spent 2006 in Iraq as the senior advisor to the 1st Iraqi Army Division. There he helped the Iraqi Army take over responsibility in battle for the first time.

Ask Ayala, and he'd only mention the men on the ground.

"My junior guys, they were awesome. They were the greatest example to an army of what a professional military can accomplish," said Ayala, from El Paso, Texas.

Ayala's own accomplishments did not go unnoticed by his closest sergeant major though, despite the achievements of the unit and its Marines.

"We always look to recognize our junior Marines," said Sgt. Maj. Steven J. Lara, sergeant major of 1st MLG. "Sometimes we forget our remarkable officers."

When it came time for the LULAC excellence awards, Lara knew just who to submit.

"Because of Colonel Ayala's performance and representation of our Corps, his efforts in fighting terrorism," Lara said, "I could not think of anyone more qualified on setting the example."

Of the requirements for the award, the first noted is that recipients must have "distinguished themselves in the war on terrorism." The last is to display qualities that distinguished him as a Hispanic leader in the military and community.

Lara illustrated how Ayala carried this Marine Corps ethos for ethnicity over into the Iraqi Army advisor job, and that Ayala treated Iraqi service members with the same respect as Americans.

"I was impressed with the unbelievable courage that he displayed and the confidence in the program, to serve men he didn't even know," Lara said.

By the end of Ayala's tour, the majority of the 1st Iraqi Army Division constructed a definitive command structure.

"I considered myself to be a part of the 1st Iraqi Army Division," said Ayala. "And they considered me to be a part of their tribe."

Ellie