PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Rank

marinepooly1361
07-30-07, 08:26 AM
Hey all,

I just enlisted into the DEP and cant wait to go off to boot camp.

My recruiter has told me that if I can get two more people to enlist, then I can get a promotion to PFC at graduation. I was just wondering if there is any other way to gain rank. Whether in boot camp or before.

I would really like to come home on leave in Dress Blues and will do whatever it takes to earn them.

Thanks

Phantom Blooper
07-30-07, 08:54 AM
I was just wondering if there is any other way to gain rank. Whether in boot camp or before.

Earn it!

For your questions do a search in the Poolee Forum and you will get your answers...let your fingers do the walking!:evilgrin:

MKinney
07-30-07, 08:55 AM
Squad leaders and the guide usually got PFC unless they were already contract PFCs. If you get PFC outta Recruit training you can get more people to enlist on your leave and get meritorious Lcpl. Also during your MOS school, sometimes they give Merit LCpl for being the top in your class, etc.
There's so many ways to earn rank.

jinelson
07-30-07, 09:10 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/156100.jpg

Welcome Aboard marinepooly1361!

There are several other ways to be promoted on graduation day as it sounds as if you dont believe that you can get two keeper refferals to enlist.
None are easy or what some of our senior Marines would call give a ways. Squad Leaders, Guides, Scribes, High Shooters and 300 Pft recruits are generally meritoriously promoted to Pfc upon graduation these days. But you don't want to put your cart before your horse, just graduating as a Marine is a major challenge which you will find out. I suggest that you spend the next five months reading everything here and that includes our archieves, PT like there's no tomorrow and after that ask questions that have not been covered. Honormen are few and far between and the competition is enourmous. Do an advanced search for Covey_Rider and read what he says he was our only Company Honor Man and he has posted advice.

Jim

jetdoc
07-30-07, 02:50 PM
Thats how I got my PFC...and it pays the same as anyway you get PFC.

marinepooly1361
07-30-07, 02:54 PM
Thats how I got my PFC...and it pays the same as anyway you get PFC.

which way?

jetdoc
07-30-07, 03:07 PM
I was DEP for a year, so I had given my recruiters about 5 or 6 buddies names...not sure if they actually went in, guess they had to?

MikE90
07-30-07, 04:14 PM
My friend got me to enlist into DEP. He said that when I went to MEPS his social security number and name were on some of my information so he got his credit for PFC. Im trying to get someone else to join :)

jetdoc
07-30-07, 04:23 PM
Hope it works out MikE90. Sure is good to get a pay raise straight out of bootcamp ie: PFC

Marine84
07-30-07, 06:28 PM
which way?

he means any way you get PFC you still get paid the same. You'll get yours by referring 2 people, I got PFC out of bootcamp because I took ROTC in high school, somebody else may pick it up by having college credits - any way you get it.

Phantom Blooper
07-30-07, 06:30 PM
any way you get it

The best philosophy of life!:beer:

Marine84
07-30-07, 06:40 PM
Do you get PFC for just referring somebody - seems to me they would make it one of those "if they join, make it through DEP and bootcamp and earn the Title" type thing. You know kind of like when offering rewards for arrests AND convictions - the one that done it might get arrested but not convicted, you know?

Marine84
07-30-07, 06:41 PM
I know that's right Phantom!

chili77bowl
07-30-07, 06:56 PM
I got my PFC for being prior service...wait a minute, I went from E-4 to E-2?! DAMN IT!

marinepooly1361
07-30-07, 07:15 PM
somebody else may pick it up by having college credits - any way you get it.

ok

im going to be taking some college courses in august at the community college. probably not a whole lot, but will those credits be applicable to what your saying?

Phantom Blooper
07-30-07, 07:27 PM
marinepooly1361

Have you put a search in for the question that you are asking in the Poolee Forum? The answer is there. I know it's easy for someone to answer it for you. A key word and a leadership trait in the Marine Corps is Initiative.:evilgrin:

Marine84
07-30-07, 08:48 PM
ok

im going to be taking some college courses in august at the community college. probably not a whole lot, but will those credits be applicable to what your saying?

You'll have to ask your Recruiter - I have no clue (been out for a while) what would count and what wouldn't. If you're asking if you make several of the requirements, will it help you pick up a stripe faster...........................NO!

Look at it this way - PFC out of bootcamp ain't bad - better than starting out with nothing on your sleeve.

HurricaneRJ
07-30-07, 09:09 PM
ok

I don't think Community College credits work. From what I'm told is that it has to be from an acredited 4-year university.

DW23
07-30-07, 10:20 PM
I don't think Community College credits work. From what I'm told is that it has to be from an acredited 4-year university.

Not true, my CC credits were accepted.

marinepooly1361
07-31-07, 06:30 AM
cool, thanks everybody

MikE90
07-31-07, 11:32 AM
I was on my recruiting district website and I found an explination of the referral program HERE (http://www.1mcd.usmc.mil/promotion.htm)

Costello
07-31-07, 01:57 PM
I got my 2 referals in already, and an extra 2 also so I get the dress blues out of boot too. And according to my Gunny, if I get 2 more to join on my 10 days leave after boot, I'd get Lcpl.

I'm not really concerned about rank or pay, it's not that important, just earning the title. I still try to get the referals in though because I look at it as helping my recruiters, not myself. They've done so much for me over the last year so I try to make their job easier because it's not exactly simple to get people to signup ya know

onux16
07-31-07, 08:56 PM
There are five general ways I can think of to earn PFC out of boot camp, one of which should NOT be an option.

1. Two people must join the DEP program -- and I believe they must go to boot camp, too. Ask a recruiter. Also, I highly recommend waiting until you get PFC, then get three people to join for a meritorious LCpl. And three people recruited will add useful points towards earning Corporal.

2. Prior military service. This includes any branch of the military, the Coast Guard (which is technically part of Homeland Security), and even ROTC. All derivatives of ROTC, including NJROTC, Junior Marines, etc, are included.

3. Education higher than high school. Depending on your education and if you hold any degree, your recruiter may be able to guarantee you earning PFC at graduation.

4. Time in grade/service (TIG/TIS). It's no walk in the park being a Private, but suck it up for three more months after boot camp and the rank of PFC is yours. YES! Boot camp counts as TIG/TIS.

5. TIG/TIS in the Special Training Company. STC consists of four platoons: 3 platoons of MRP, and one for PCP.
---MRP is the Medical Rehab Platoon. As the name states, recruits who are "broken" or overall medically unable to train (even for pneumonia!) are routed to MRP until recovery. This is NOT where you want to be. Trust me on this one.
---PCP is Physical Conditioning Platoon, or more commonly known as Pork Chop Platoon. Usually the heavier kids are in this platoon, but anyone who can not pass a PFT or Initial Strength Test (IST), regardless or weight, are routed here. Again, this should not be an option for any recruit/poolee.
Believe me when I say that the Special Training Company is not where you want to be, no matter how difficult boot camp seems.

Haffner
07-31-07, 09:29 PM
If you are not a LCpl. at the said time when you get 2/3/whatever contracts in, those contracts do NOT count towards your cutting score. Getting contracts for cutting score points refreshes once you pick up LCpl. I brought 2 civilians into the Corps, was accredited for them, however, they will not count towards my cutting score since I wasn't a PFC yet (I've verified this numerous times).

08-01-07, 01:44 AM
I got my PFC for being prior service...wait a minute, I went from E-4 to E-2?! DAMN IT!

...looks like I'll be in the same boat. . . . . .damn. . .

MKinney
08-01-07, 07:48 AM
Onux you forgot, being an Eagle Scout gets you contract PFC.

Marine84
08-01-07, 08:05 AM
Not true, my CC credits were accepted.

you HOPE!

marinepooly1361
08-01-07, 08:38 AM
Well, whatever happens I'll still be happy with the green uniform, because I will still be able to wear the EGA.

DW23
08-01-07, 02:50 PM
you HOPE!

What do you mean by that?

jetdoc
08-01-07, 02:54 PM

Probably that they may not accept CC credits? I'm going out on a limb here.

08-01-07, 03:18 PM

I think you have to have a minimum of an Associate's degree. When I originally joined the Army, you would come in as an E-3 with an Associate's, or an E-4 with a Bachelor's.

I know that the Marine Corps regulation would be different, but I'm sure it's along the same lines, except there's probably no way to come in as a Cpl, let alone LCpl (besides prior service).

DW23
08-01-07, 04:45 PM
I think you have to have a minimum of an Associate's degree. When I originally joined the Army, you would come in as an E-3 with an Associate's, or an E-4 with a Bachelor's.

I know that the Marine Corps regulation would be different, but I'm sure it's along the same lines, except there's probably no way to come in as a Cpl, let alone LCpl (besides prior service).

My recruiter told me you only need 15 college credits to pick up PFC.

bgsuwoody
08-01-07, 04:54 PM
I have a bachelor's degree and the highest promotion the Marine Corps gives for it PFC.

Accord
08-01-07, 05:42 PM
If you can somehow get contract PFC then absolutely do it, when you become a LCpl and the Marines you went to boot camp with are still privates, you'll be glad you did. The way you get treated as a LCpl is so much different than a private and PFC, i'm not going to lie and i'm not going to glorify it like a USMC TV commercial, for the most part you will be treated absolutely horrible as a boot Pvt and PFC in the fleet if you're a grunt and most days will be worse than boot camp. However when you pick up LCpl everything changes and it's like a whole different Marine Corps, and things get a lot better. Getting contract PFC doesn't mean jack as far as i'm concerned, the best thing about contract PFC is the fact that you'll be a LCpl a hell of a lot sooner and when you get to the fleet you want to become a LCpl as fast as humanly possible, whether it's meritoriously or TIS/TIG and being a contract PFC helped speed the process up. Anyone who tells you to not get contract PFC and "earn" the ranks is something I totally disagree with, frankly, the sooner you become a LCpl the sooner you'll be treated just like another one of the guys in the barracks, as opposed to a boot. You don't want to be treated like a boot any longer than you have to, so that means get contract PFC I don't care if you have to take night classes from now until the day you ship, do whatever it takes and get that contract PFC, 6 months from now when you hit the fleet you'll be so glad you did.

That's my 2 shekels.

Accord
08-01-07, 05:46 PM
Wrong. As long as the credits are from an educational institution recognized by the Department of Education, then they're good to go.

For future reference, do not pass word or advice if you do not know for a fact that what you're about to submit is the absolute truth, especially if you don't already have direct experience with it. If there is any doubt in your mind which there obviously was since you said you don't "think" then you shouldn't have replied. Just a heads up for the future.

Accord
08-01-07, 05:52 PM
Anyone who tells you to not get contract PFC and "earn" the ranks is something I totally disagree with
I need to clarify what I meant by this so it doesn't get misconstrued - tried editing the post but i'm past the time limit. What I meant by that statement was I totally disagree with someone telling you to go in as a PVT just so you can "earn" PFC. If the Marine Corps did not want you to become a PFC then they would not offer programs allowing you to "earn" the rank. You're simply earning it in a different way as opposed to TIS/TIG, if they give out gold bars for having a 4 year degree, then damnit you should at least get some mosquito wings for enlisting with a degree, you sure as hell earned it, just in a different way.

GriT
08-01-07, 05:56 PM
Well said, and HOLY HELL you're a LCpl. Man o man, seems like just yesterday you graduated. Well, probably felt alot longer for you, heh.

bgsuwoody
08-01-07, 06:03 PM
Yeah Accord Congrats on the promotion, I was hoping I would get the opportunity to say that since I can't post on the Open Squadbay...YET!

Kegs24
08-02-07, 12:57 AM
I just found out yesterday that I will be a contract PFC because I have 20 college credits. I was pretty excited to hear that.

Chrisbrv
08-12-07, 06:15 PM
I need to clarify what I meant by this so it doesn't get misconstrued - tried editing the post but i'm past the time limit. What I meant by that statement was I totally disagree with someone telling you to go in as a PVT just so you can "earn" PFC. If the Marine Corps did not want you to become a PFC then they would not offer programs allowing you to "earn" the rank. You're simply earning it in a different way as opposed to TIS/TIG, if they give out gold bars for having a 4 year degree, then damnit you should at least get some mosquito wings for enlisting with a degree, you sure as hell earned it, just in a different way.

I have Contract PFC from JROTC, my recruiter says that if I get two referrals I will get LCpl during my 10 day leave. I'm going Infantry and I'm wondering how that would be viewed in the Grunts by my peers and superiors? Will they still treat me as a Pvt/ PFC?

PS. Congrats on the Promotion. You earned LCpl really quick.

Chrisbrv
08-12-07, 06:16 PM
Edit- Double post.

Chrisbrv
08-24-07, 07:47 PM
bump hopefully someone sees this

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-24-07, 07:52 PM
A boot is a boot. You're not going to get special treatment just because you have rifles on your collar. You may even be the same rank as your fireteam leader if you hit cycles just right- but it doesn't matter. If you're a boot you will be treated as one.

davblay
08-24-07, 11:47 PM
All Marines are a Boot to someone else with more time in service! But trainees are trainees, don't matter what your rank is-----the person in charge of your training is the boss.

762mm
08-25-07, 01:50 AM
This kind of topic has me rather baffled.

Why is all the focus of so many poolees on gaining rank and position rather than earning their place by being the best recruit and then Marine that they can be? ( Terrific run-on sentence... )

I had a talk with a recently retired CWO4, and he told me the thing he did that he was most proud of ( even with his awesome history of service ) was being a good Marine first.

I believe there is a difference between wanting a promotion and wanting it for the right reasons.

Marine84
08-25-07, 07:43 AM
Just don't become a a$$hole as you pick up rank. What used to get me was boot Lts that had not been out of OCS a week inspecting me! I usually passed inspections with no problem but, a boot Lt failed me one time because the highest point of the emblem on my cover needed a touchup. It WAS my bad because I didn't pay attention to detail but..................I thought he was an a$$hole because THAT was the only thing he could find wrong.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-25-07, 11:30 AM
It is true that everyone is boot to someone else- but you know what I mean. When you first hit the fleet, you are a "Boot" and have to deal with it until you earn your place.