PDA

View Full Version : 5 West Volusia grads heading to boot camp

thedrifter
07-29-07, 08:57 AM
July 29, 2007

5 West Volusia grads heading to boot camp
By JULIE MURPHY
Staff Writer

DELAND -- Rarely would five high school graduates from an area the size of West Volusia leave for boot camp together. But that's scheduled to happen Aug. 13.

John Becker, 19, Matt Martinez, 18, Jared Romsey, 18, and Danny Ryan, 17, all of DeLand, and John McCarthy, 18, Deltona, plan to head off for the Marine Corps Recruit Depot at Parris Island, S.C.

"I am really happy for all these guys, that they get to stay together," recruiter Staff Sgt. Ramiro Chavez said. "In the two years I've been doing this, I've never seen five guys leave together."

The four men from DeLand, all graduates of DeLand High School, knew each other before enlisting. They have gotten to know McCarthy, a Deltona High grad, through the Marines' Delayed Entry Program, which prepares high school seniors for service.

"We meet on Thursdays to go out running," Chavez said. "It also gives them an opportunity to do things ahead like take their physicals."

The Thursday runs helped trim Martinez down to a fit 195 pounds from the 250 pounds he carried as an offensive lineman.

"I thought I might want to play football in college," he said. "But I thought this was a better choice, and I wouldn't have lost weight if I hadn't joined the Marines."

None has been away from home for more than a couple of weeks. They leave with only their identification, $20 and an address book.

"And my Bible," Romsey said.

His father said he, too, is concerned.

"What parent wouldn't be worried with all that is going on in Iraq?" Robert Romsey said. "But I'm proud of him. He's the first member in our family to go into the military."

Chavez said it is not a foregone conclusion that these young men, or any recruit, will head to the Middle East.

"It depends on their job and their unit," he said. "I have some guys who have been in for two years and want to be deployed, who volunteer to be deployed, but their units aren't going."

Becker, who plans to study aviation electronics, decided when he was 10 to join the armed forces.

"It's a family tradition," he said. "Ninety percent of my family is either a cop or military."

Marine culture is a draw for McCarthy, who wants to eventually guard naval installations as a part of security forces.

"I like the camaraderie and the core values," he said. "Honor, courage and commitment are the core values, and they define every Marine."

Ryan plans to follow in Chavez's bootsteps even if it means a Middle East assignment.

"Combat support is a mix of jobs, and it could mean driving a tank or artillery," he said. "Staff Sgt. Chavez was a combat engineer, and it sounded pretty cool."

Martinez's mom, Beverly, holds good thoughts for all the recruits.

"He tested high for SWAT (special weapons and tactics), so I'm sure he'll go to Iraq," she said. "We should all be very proud of them and keep them in our prayers."

julie.murphy@news-jrnl.com

Ellie