PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Marine exactly where he wanted to be, says family

thedrifter
07-28-07, 06:17 AM
Posted on Sat, Jul. 28, 2007
Fallen Marine exactly where he wanted to be, says family
LOUISVILLE MAN KILLED TUESDAY IN IRAQ

ASSOCIATED PRESS

A Louisville Marine killed in Iraq this week was intent on fighting in the war and headed straight to boot camp after graduation from high school, his family said.

Lance Cpl. Robert A. Lynch, 20, of Louisville died Tuesday in Diyala province. Two other Marines were killed in the military operation against a Sunni insurgent stronghold, the military said in a statement.

"He'd tell me all the time, 'Mom, I'm going over there to fight for you,'" his mother, Angela Robinson, told WLKY-TV.

Lynch was assigned to 1st Battalion, 12th Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary Force in Okinawa, Japan.

Lynch's brother, Michael, also fought in Iraq.

"I would be honored to go the same way my brother went," Michael Lynch said. "It would be an honor. I'm so proud of him."

Lynch graduated in 2005 from Louisville's Seneca High School, where he was a well-liked member of the ROTC.

"Robbie was a little bit of a jokester. He put a smile on your face, but when it came time to get something done, he was the first to jump in and stand shoulder to shoulder with you," said retired Marine Col. Richard Maloney, who taught Lynch in ROTC courses at the school.

"He had so many friends here, the word went around like wildfire," Maloney told The Courier-Journal. "This is a big loss for us."

Mike Smith, pastor at Eastside Praise Ministry Center, said he baptized Lynch about a year and a half ago.

"He was so charming and kind," Smith said. "There was a side of him that truly believed in what he was doing. He was convinced his life in this capacity was really going to make a difference."

Killed alongside Lynch were Cpl. James H. McRae, 22, of Springtown, Texas, and Cpl. Matthew R. Zindars, 21, of Watertown, Wis.

Funeral arrangements were pending.

Ellie

thedrifter
07-28-07, 06:37 AM
Lance Corporal Lynch Remembered

Posted: 6:50 PM Jul 27, 2007
Last Updated: 7:48 PM Jul 27, 2007

The mother of a 20-year-old Marine from Louisville, who was killed in Iraq this week, said her son’s patriotism was clear from the time he left.

Lance Corporal Robert Lynch was one of three Marines killed on July 24, 2007, in an IED explosion.

Lynch’s mother said he would tell her all the time he was going to Iraq to fight for her.

On July 26, Lynch’s ROTC instructors poured over pictures of him, remembering a confident kid who loved to make people laugh.

“He is a very positive, upbeat, real confident, good on his feet, a little bit of the jokester. We saw a lot of promise, a little bit surprised that he decided to go to the Marine Corp,” Col. Richard Maloney said.

Governor Fletcher has order flags to be lowered to half-staff in honor of Lynch.

Lynch’s body will be flown to Louisville for his military funeral.

Ellie