PDA

View Full Version : Honoring Marine Corps Corporal Paul Brodner And Sergeant Andrew Lowe

thedrifter
07-27-07, 11:19 AM
HONORING MARINE CORPS CORPORAL PAUL BRODNER AND SERGEANT ANDREW LOWE (Duncan Hunter)
Library of Congress ^ | July 19, 2007 | Duncan Hunter

Mr. HUNTER. Madam Speaker, it is with the greatest sense of pride that I rise today to honor and pay tribute to Marine Corps Corporal Paul Brodner, Jr. and Sergeant Andrew Lowe. Corporal Brodner and Sergeant Lowe, both constituents of mine from El Cajon, California, recently returned from a seven month deployment to Haditha, Iraq, with Company E of the Second Battalion, Third Marine Regiment.

Immediately upon arrival in Haditha, which had a reputation as one of the most dangerous locations within Al Anbar Province and all of Iraq, Corporal Brodner and Sergeant Lowe's patrol were targeted and attacked by Sunni insurgents. For Marines in Iraq, especially those serving in Al Anbar, small arms and sniper fire, grenades and improvised explosive devices are a daily threat that challenge mission objectives and personal safety.

The Sunni insurgency in Haditha, at its strength, initiated a campaign of murder and intimidation. Despite being a hotbed of such activity, Marine units in Haditha launched a successful counterinsurgency operation that ultimately restored control of the city's infrastructure and resources to local officials and workers, and suppressed the sense of fear that was preventing Iraqis from joining police and security forces.

By the end of Corporal Brodner and Sergeant Lowe's deployment, Haditha's police force exceeded 200 volunteers and began conducting security operations independently of the Marines--who also began receiving regular intelligence reports on insurgent activity from city residents. Progress in Haditha became measurable, especially as attacks against Iraqi and coalition forces decreased from an average of ten per day to only a handful each month. Today, Marines and Iraqi soldiers are serving side-by-side and, most importantly, our Marines continue to provide Iraq's security forces with the training and techniques they will need to protect their government and its people.

It is without question that the service men and women who have served in Iraq have demonstrated absolute selflessness and courage. In fact, I am reminded of a recent conversation I had with a Marine leader regarding our efforts in Iraq, particularly the progress of our Marines in Al Anbar Province. The message relayed to me was, ``We are crushing the enemy in Al Anbar.''

Madam Speaker, this continued success in Al Anbar would not be possible without the dedication and commitment of Americans like Corporal Brodner and Sergeant Lowe. Their service and contributions deserve to be recognized and commended, and I hope my colleagues will join me today in honoring these two American heroes.

Ellie