PDA

View Full Version : What is it like sleeping in a MCRD?

futuremarine129
07-25-07, 08:31 PM
What is it like sleeping in the bunks at any MCRD? Do they make you sleep like straight and stiff like a log or can you roll around and stuff? Also do they have a specific way to making the bed or a time limit? This is in all seriousness to so don't think I'm messing with you guys.

Zulu 36
07-25-07, 08:54 PM
What is it like sleeping in the bunks at any MCRD? Do they make you sleep like straight and stiff like a log or can you roll around and stuff? Also do they have a specific way to making the bed or a time limit? This is in all seriousness to so don't think I'm messing with you guys.

After lights-out you can sleep standing on your head as long as you're in your rack.

Yes, there is a prescribed way to make your rack and you will have essentially a time limit to get it done in the morning after reveille. You will have several tasks to perform in a limited time after getting up, and making your rack properly is one of them.

Don't worry. You are taught how to make a rack correctly and even get practice at it. Some people get more practice than others. By the end of boot camp, you will be very proficient at rack making.

Chumley
07-25-07, 08:55 PM
You will be taught to make a rack faster than you thought possible, and exactly the same as everyone elses. When you are put to bed, you will usually sleep hard and fast because you are worn out. Many mornings I awoke in just about the same position I fell asleep in... just plain dawg tired. It's all good. You will not be allowed to have a teddy bear.
C

Marine84
07-25-07, 09:06 PM
By the end of boot camp, you will be very proficient at rack making.

Ain't THAT the truth?

You'll learn how to make that thing so tight you can bounce a quarter off of it! We used to be a tad lazy at times and wouldn't even sleep in the dang thing - we slept on top of it with an extra blanket for cover - that way in the morning all we had to do was straighten it up a tad before going out the door and throw the extra blanket in a wall locker.

These days you guys get to use your own linens in the fleet. I ran across someone I was in with (he's a Capt now and STILL AD) and he was telling me about some "comfort of life" program that was started in the 90s or some such noise.

Billd
07-25-07, 09:14 PM
Once you're in the racks. Depends on the Senior DI. My platoon had to mount into the racks, lying at attention, then on the DI's command, slam both arms down twice and shout "Oorah, United States Marine Corps, Platoon 370" Then DI would say "REEEAADY!! SLEEP" We all would then answer "Aye, Aye Sir" then you could sleep however you wanted. DI's need sleep too, they don't get up in the middle of the night to see what position you're sleeping in. You will have no trouble sleeping. You will be extremely tired by the time lights out rolls around. In third phase your DI's may want you to sing the Marine Corps hymn before going to sleep. If you get to do that, it is a very motivating experience. When we got to do that I remember thinking, "man, I'm gonna make it"! By the way, youngest son ships 6 August, oldest son is in Iraq and will be home about the same time the youngest Graduates from Recruit training. Marines all over this house! OOORAAH!!!!

sparkie
07-25-07, 10:06 PM
You ever sleep with charlie horses going on? Get over it.

GySgtRet
07-26-07, 05:55 AM
When I went through at Parris Island as Billd points out then we would on command and sometimes this seemed to take forever to get done. "good Night Chesty wherever you are" Sometimes we would sign all three verses of the Marine's Hymn, it depends on if all the recruits sounded off all day or not and if you were really dog tired you would get messed with even more.

sparkie you mentioned charlie horses oh yeah, then they keep jabing at you till you run it out but you can't run it out because you are ordered to sleep, dang that was painful but it is all good in the end.

Good luck young man, don't think so much about it.

:usmc: :iwo:

Marine84
07-26-07, 07:40 AM
Our little ritual was once we were told to get in the rack, we had to sing the Lord's Prayer - they wouldn't let us sing the Hymn until further into training (and even then we screwed it up and weren't allowed to sing it again at lights out). Then we had to say goodnight to God, Country and Corps and the lights would go out. Every now and then, we would start that whole "goodnight John Boy" thing from the Walton's and giggle like a bunch of school girls.

Ironrider
07-26-07, 08:19 AM
We had the barracks next to the PT field an I had the top bunk. I faced the portholes...I had the joy of watching airliners take off and land....and wishing I was on one...:marine:

Chumley
07-26-07, 08:23 AM
Our 2nd Battalion barracks was within smelling distance of the Burger King. At night, with the windows open, we could smell the food cookin...that was torture.

DWG
07-26-07, 08:34 AM
Our 2nd Battalion barracks was within smelling distance of the Burger King. At night, with the windows open, we could smell the food cookin...that was torture.

There's a Burger King on PI? :scared: What have y'all done to our Corps?:evilgrin:

Old Marine
07-26-07, 10:03 AM
A Burger King in Boot Camp. The Marine Coprs has finally caught up with the Air Farce.

Chumley
07-26-07, 10:26 AM
The BK was primarily for everyone but recruits...we could only smell it from where we were. When liberty Sunday came, 12 weeks in and 1 week to go until graduation, we swarmed it like a horny dog on a hairy leg.

DWG
07-26-07, 11:12 AM
The BK was primarily for everyone but recruits...we could only smell it from where we were. When liberty Sunday came, 12 weeks in and 1 week to go until graduation, we swarmed it like a horny dog on a hairy leg.

LIBERTY SUNDAY?!?! :scared:

It IS the air farce!!!:(

:D

Chumley
07-26-07, 11:43 AM
Hey salties, don't blame me, I just became a Marine there! That was 18 years ago. I bet now they even have soft serve ice cream, and the DI's tuck you in at night too.

Motorola07
07-26-07, 12:22 PM
There use to be fast food places at SD..Believe they took them out.

Hopefully you get the squadbays away from the Airport.. planes going in and out of SD sucked.

DWG
07-26-07, 12:43 PM
Hey salties, don't blame me, I just became a Marine there! That was 18 years ago. I bet now they even have soft serve ice cream, and the DI's tuck you in at night too.

Well, they always did at SD!:marine:

:D :banana:

white9165
07-26-07, 03:22 PM
Billd i am also shipping the 6th. is your son going to mcrd parris island??

jetdoc
07-26-07, 05:53 PM
Zulu 36 sez : "By the end of boot camp, you will be very proficient at rack making."

It gets in your blood poolee's, even to this I am always trying to be very proficient at making it with a nice "rack".

Is it wrong to say that, :D

sparkie
07-26-07, 06:07 PM
What kind of rack you talkin bout. Or are you just blowing your own horn?

jetdoc
07-26-07, 06:18 PM
Hey bro, still not mad over the Winger threads are you? lol.

sparkie
07-26-07, 06:26 PM
The Jews say "Thank God I was not born a woman" I say " Thank God I was not born a flyboy" { but to tell the truth, I wasn't a grunt either,,,,,Just a wanna be} Once stoled a transmitter out of a chopper to fix my COs comm jeep. does that count?

jetdoc
07-26-07, 06:42 PM
Sparkie, if I were born a woman I'd NEVER leave the house...why would I need to? hehe

sparkie
07-26-07, 06:47 PM
Like i told my wife. If I had a feminine side,,, I woulda worn it out years ago.

Marine84
07-26-07, 08:26 PM
Sparkie, if I were born a woman I'd NEVER leave the house...why would I need to? hehe

I know that's right!

jetdoc
07-26-07, 08:35 PM
Kim, "god" knew what he was doing when he made us...if guys had all the fun stuff that you women do then NOTHING would get done...just a bunch of guys lying around the house all day, playing with themselves, lol.

Oh wait, we do that now don't we?

I think I was born with issues, hehehe.

Marine84
07-26-07, 08:41 PM
Kim, "god" knew what he was doing when he made us...if guys had all the fun stuff that you women do then NOTHING would get done...just a bunch of guys lying around the house all day, playing with themselves, lol.

Oh wait, we do that now don't we?

I think I was born with issues, hehehe.

LOL :)

captainloozer
07-27-07, 09:32 AM
I'm from 2nd BN MCRD PI, we never had to make racks unless we were putting on clean linen or the DI's were making us remake them over and over for "practice". lol. It was during the summer so no one ever selpt under the linen. You just basically jumped out of the rack in the morning and got on line, the most we had to do was maybe tighten them up.

DWG
07-27-07, 09:37 AM
I'm from 2nd BN MCRD PI, we never had to make racks unless we were putting on clean linen or the DI's were making us remake them over and over for "practice". lol. It was during the summer so no one ever selpt under the linen. You just basically jumped out of the rack in the morning and got on line, the most we had to do was maybe tighten them up.

Then nothing has changed in 38 years! I never broke the covers on my rack either (and sometimes slept on the floor next to it). Faster on the move in the morning!
:marine:
Aren't those barracks air conditioned now?

jetdoc
07-27-07, 09:41 AM
I'm with ya Josh, It was during the summer and I NEVER slept under the sheets...unless we were practicing over and over and over.

We used to have to practice running up and down the squad bay holding our mattress then we'd do the @-hole to bellybutton jones and the Drill Instructors would yell, "sit". It was difficult to do this while holding your mattress in front of you, lol.

sparkie
07-27-07, 09:42 AM
It was fun sometimes to sleep on the parts of your field stripped m14 when the DIs found it to not be clean enough.