PDA

View Full Version : Fatbody Goals

KittyRina
07-23-07, 01:05 PM
I thought this would be a good place that we can all put our goals, whether it's losing wieght, gaining weight, running longer, or anything of that nature.

My Goal: August 18: 265 lbs.

Stay Moto!

GriT
07-23-07, 01:30 PM
Good thread. My ultimate goal..

300 PFT Score

Current:

Pushups: 40
Pullups: 8
Crunches: 50
3 Mile run: TBA (Probably not too bad, i'm an avid runner)

I have quite awhile till I'm able to enlist so this should keep me busy.

bgsuwoody
07-23-07, 03:20 PM
:usmc: <---I want to earn an EGA

LoganS2k7
07-23-07, 03:55 PM
My goal is to gain about 10 pounds before Bootcamp. I think i'm about 130 now so i'm trying to find a good way to gain weight. Righ tnow i'm eating about double what I should be haha.

TrevelyanInc
07-23-07, 04:26 PM
Hey Logan, come to my place and eat what I'm missing, I'm trying to get down to 145 before I ship

Books
07-23-07, 05:15 PM
I want to be losing between 10-15lbs in body fat per month starting August 1st.

jungholee90
07-23-07, 06:28 PM
I already achieved my goal of gaining 10lbs, now I am keeping at 143. Now my next goal is to get my pull-ups and crunches up: I had zero pull-up at my very first IST a week ago and I got it up to 2 now. I have plenty of time until I ship, so I will work toward 20 pull-ups, 100 crunches, and 20 min 3-mile run. Oh, and of course my main goal is to earn the title of United States Marine!

Jdncowboy
07-23-07, 07:01 PM
:usmc: <---I want to earn an EGA

I'm gunna go with bgsuwoody on this one. Doing everything i can to get my body into what it needs to be so i can go earn the title.

winniele
07-23-07, 07:27 PM
Seeing that i've already earned my EGA and don't need to gain nor lose weight, i will say i would want to learn to be a better leader as a Marine. That is my goal.

GriT
07-23-07, 08:19 PM
I'm gunna go with bgsuwoody on this one. Doing everything i can to get my body into what it needs to be so i can go earn the title.

I think that goes without saying. You guys got any specific physical goals your working towards?

bgsuwoody
07-23-07, 08:21 PM
I think that goes without saying. You guys got any specific physical goals your working towards?

Yes Get through exactly 13 weeks of bootcamp in order to earn one of these ---> :usmc:

Marine84
07-23-07, 08:25 PM
woody.........you funny! That IS a good answer though.

HurricaneRJ
07-23-07, 08:37 PM
Loosing 10lbs by next week, so there is no doubt that I'm under 227 and so i can finally eat healthy again. I'm getting really sick for loosing 5lbs a week. I'm starting to loose stamnia and I'm getting these ****ing headaches.

Also to go along with Woody. Earn the EGA, become a kick-ass Marine.

jetdoc
07-23-07, 08:39 PM
Good thread Kitty, its a good thing to have goals and to let others know about them, its gives you some extra incentive.

Kurby494
07-23-07, 09:51 PM
Starting weight: 322lbs
Current weight: 235lbs
Goal weight: 200lbs

I'm hoping to get there by the end of september at the very latest.

HellMarcher514
07-23-07, 10:13 PM
146-148# Now
Stable 150+ before Boot (so that daily fluctuations won't ever put me under 150)
Be able to run 3 Miles with a decent score (current 1.5 time is bad @ 10:53, have yet to time a 3 Mile), like >21 minutes.
Earn my EGA

KittyRina
07-24-07, 10:49 AM
Thanks, doc!

Everyone's long term goal is to get that EGA.

Forgot: Start weight 290-ish.
Current weight 275 (it's been ONE month)
August 18: 265
Final Goal: 150-155 or a sat body-mass index.

Good goals, everyone! Stay Moto and post those successes as they come!

SlingerDun
07-28-07, 01:45 AM
The weight goals are admirable but you all know its something you will have to maintain throughout your tour/s. If you have a sedentary MOS the weight will sneak up on you, your uniforms will need tailoring and you wont look as tight as you did when you reached your goal weight. PFT scores will drop. if you begin now to look at losing or maintaining weight as a lifestyle change you will have more methods available in your bag of tricks for maintaining long term health and this will become a habit. It's easier said than done and alot of professional athletes cant seem to do it and get soft in the off season, but you will be a Marine 24/7 even on leave. Its your job to stay in shape so treat it like that and put the Million dollar cry babys to shame.

--->Dave

jetdoc
07-28-07, 09:20 AM
Good point Slinger. I like to say that its not going on a diet, which is temporary. You are making a lifestyle change and you can't go back to your old lifestyle or your weight will spring back up.

If you make it only temporary to get in the Marines, your entire time in the Marines will be miserable. As Slinger said, your uniforms will start to get tight, you will be struggling to make weigh ins and be worried all the time about it. Why be unhappy. You have to make a lifestyle change. Its easy to say, but very hard to do.

As we all may know as you lose weight your fat cells shrink. The only way to make them go byebye is to have liposuction. So as you lose weight the fat cells shrink and you get smaller in size.

Fat cells have memory though, so they are sitting there waiting for us to gradually go back to our old lifestyles...then they, (fat cells), can get big again and be happy...and make us unhappy. They spring back real fast and get larger than last time, thats why if you yo-yo diet you may notice this.

So it has to be a permanent lifestyle change and if it takes the Marines to do this then thats cool, but we have to remember that just being in the Marines will not be enough to keep off the weight. Boot camp is different as you're supervised 24/7, out in the fleet you can eat at Burger King for every meal...fall back on that and well, we all know what happens then.

Good luck to everyone and keep using us here for support.

Fubar5812
07-28-07, 11:30 AM
Current weight 128 lb

Goal weight is 140 by the end of october.I keep telling myself "just keep eating,just keep eating"

jetdoc
07-28-07, 02:42 PM
I can give you a few extra pounds I need to get rid of, lol.

Fubar5812
07-28-07, 02:51 PM
I would love them,can you send them to me fedex? or UPS ground? :P

jetdoc
07-28-07, 02:55 PM
I get a 75% discount with FedEx, so lets go that route, haha.

KittyRina
07-28-07, 03:10 PM
Current weight 128 lb

Goal weight is 140 by the end of october.I keep telling myself "just keep eating,just keep eating"

I'm Italian... I LOVE to cook pasta... lemme send you the few hundred pounds of fettucini, linguini, and angel hair pasta I WONT be eating this next year.

Worsham
07-31-07, 01:44 PM
Not to pick on you guys, but please...stop calling it the EGA.

It is the eagle, globe and anchor!

Eagle for nation.

Globe for worldwide service.

Anchor for naval traditions.

You haven't even earned it yet.

You'll understand when you get back, I promise.

KittyRina
07-31-07, 02:36 PM

Eagle for nation.

Wow! I didn't even realize I was doing that!! I usually never say "EGA" when I'm talking, but i guess my hands have minds of their own.

Costello
07-31-07, 02:38 PM
My goal is to be able to do the 20 pulls and run a 3 mile in 22 or less with full Flak equipment on and be able to tap out my recruiter who is a MCMAP instructor.

so far, I'm at 16 pulls, a 25:37 run time, and still geting my a$$ kicked but coming closer as we go

Costello
07-31-07, 02:39 PM

Eagle for nation.

Actually, yesterday I heard 2 Marines refer to the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor as an EGA, while speaking mind you...I was kinda shocked

Worsham
07-31-07, 02:41 PM
Don't repeat their mistake....

MikE90
07-31-07, 04:19 PM
Loose 10 pounds and do 10 more pullups.
Last Weeks IST
Pull Ups- 4
Crunches- 75
Run- 10:38

BrianMc223
07-31-07, 06:43 PM
Peak Weight: 295
Current Weight: 260
Goal Weight: <240 By mid September.
Current Pull-ups: 0
Goal Pull-ups: 20
Current 1.5 mile: 17 minutes
Goal 3 miles: <26:20
Crunches: Not sure, not worried.

I want Recon. (I know the odds are not in my favor, but I don't care.)

SF23MikE
07-31-07, 07:32 PM
Now:
Pullups: 4
Crunches: 75
1.5mi Run: 11Mins

Goals: 10 Pullups
Cut 2Mins off Run
Learn All General Orders

Kurby494
07-31-07, 09:07 PM

It's good to shoot for the most but make sure you recognize that these goals are your long term goals. Set up some intermediate goals for yourself as benchmarks along the way.

KittyRina
07-31-07, 11:49 PM

Never, never NEVER doubt yourself. You want to be a Marine? leave the words DON'T and CAN'T out of your vocabulary. If you say you CAN'T, then you can't. If you say "I CAN lose ten pounds by next month" you WILL lose 10 pounds by next month. KEEP ON TRUCKIN!!!!!!

08-01-07, 01:36 AM
PT Goal: to be able to outrun my wife when she finds out what i did last weekend......

nah, just kidding.....

Current Weight: 185
Goal: Burn 5 - 10 pounds of FAT and lose these mini-rolls
Method: No More BEER !!!!

Costello
08-01-07, 12:08 PM
alright, ran a practice PFT last night with my recruiter and some fellow poolees, so here's the current stats:

Weight: 203
Pulls: 17 (had a bad day though)
Crunches: 100
3 Mile Run: 23:54 (stopped in the woods for a head call though)

Overall I'm happy with it, but I'm doing it again tonight to better it

jells08
08-01-07, 12:26 PM
Im at 118 little tiny thing. Ive got 18 pullup 100 crunches 7 minutes 1.5 mile but i need about 30 extra pounds lots of noodles and fat boy foods

bgsuwoody
08-01-07, 12:29 PM
It's good to shoot for the most but make sure you recognize that these goals are your long term goals. Set up some intermediate goals for yourself as benchmarks along the way.

I am 100% going to agree with Kurbs here. I attempt to make weekly and monthly physical goals. With this you need to be keeping a log of your progress. This will allow you to see what you were able to do and what you do now. It is motivational and it gives you a way to judge your goals for the next week/month. As well you will be able to better understand when you hit a peak or a wall and need to try something new. I myself needed 3 different types of pullup programs alone along with going to the gym in order to get to 20 pullups. Keep up the good work, but like Kurbs said, short specific goals are key to your success

bgsuwoody
08-01-07, 12:30 PM
double post

bgsuwoody
08-01-07, 12:30 PM
My button wasn't working, triple post

KittyRina
08-02-07, 10:51 AM
I am 100% going to agree with Kurbs here. I attempt to make weekly and monthly physical goals. With this you need to be keeping a log of your progress. This will allow you to see what you were able to do and what you do now. It is motivational and it gives you a way to judge your goals for the next week/month. As well you will be able to better understand when you hit a peak or a wall and need to try something new. I myself needed 3 different types of pullup programs alone along with going to the gym in order to get to 20 pullups. Keep up the good work, but like Kurbs said, short specific goals are key to your success

Agreeing w/ both of you. When I started on my journey I thought "Holy *&$# I have to lose 120 pounds in a year?!??" and it got me down, but then I thought "okay, if I lose 10 pounds or so a month, I can do this," and that is what I focus on. Sometimes I still get a little un-motivated because I can't see the progress, and noone else can see the progress, but I know that I'm doing SOMETHING right, because that number on the scale keeps dropping down. It's all about the "baby steps".

AMW
08-02-07, 11:30 AM
My goal is to lose at least 15 pounds in a this month and get all my scores up. I can do the dead hang just fine, sit ups I'm at like 65 right now but I'm out of shape and practice, run time... meh I couldn't tell ya I just got over a bout of Taco Bell induced food poisoning so i've been a little weak over the past week.

Funny thing is... I weigh 196 but even my recruiter was asking me where I was hiding the bricks because i guess I don't look it, I guess I look a good 40 pounds lighter. So now I'm thinking if I lose 40 to DEP in I'll be a stick! No actually it'll probably all come from the stomach, the rest of my body is actually fairly toned, I've let a few beverages get to me :p

But I agree with what everyone is saying, sometimes you gotta look in the near future to see that your goal really is possible, like Kitty said up there 120 pounds in a year sounds like a lot but once you break it down and look at it like oh thats really only 10 pounds a month, its not bad.

Another thing I like to use is never saying I HAVE to do X goal I always like to say I WANT to or I GET to! When I was talking to my manager I was talking about how I GET to lose 40 pounds to DEP into the Marines. Maybe thats just me though

xdirufilth
08-03-07, 02:42 PM
Current
Pull-Ups: 5
Crunches: 77
1.5 Mile - 11:36

Goal
Pull-Ups: 15
Crunches: 90
3 Mile - < 25:00

When Next Year Rolls Around I hope to have either hit this goal or surpassed it.

HurricaneRJ
08-03-07, 05:06 PM
For the month of July final fitness report

Pull-ups: 6
Crunches: 115
1.5 Mile: 9:24
Weight: 225
Ship Weight: 213

My goal is to loose 2-3 lbs a week, and gain a Pull-up a week. I have made myself a delicate pull-up program that I know will jump up my Pull-ups in no time.

sycomarine5085
08-03-07, 05:34 PM
i am in njrotc and i need to get my pt sores up for rotc and so i can join the marines in like 340 days. i can do lots and lots of pushups and crunches but i am really big and i weigh like 236(as of toadys physical) and i cant run to well. i am working on it but nothing is working for me or if it is it is really slow.

HurricaneRJ
08-03-07, 05:42 PM
OKay, I can help.

Start by doing everything small first. Your 236, not to far from me, depending on how tall you are it shouldn't be a problem.

Just start running at a slow pace with a short distance. Eventually your body will develop into a runners body, with better breathing and a bigger airway.

With crunches, just max out everyday, and for pull-ups just do them.

If you want to loose weight the only thing I can suggest is, eat nothing but protein andcelery at night. Also drink nothing but water and grapefruit juice to help loose the weight. Celery burns fat eat those whenever you feel hungry and the weight is sure to fall off. Keep us updated and never give up. a 1,000,000 people have been through NROTC, there no reason you can be 1,00,001. Keep at it. Progress doesn't show in days, it takes a week to notice a significant change, take Sundays and Fridays off to give your body a chance to recover and start from there.

Take small steps. i've lost 85lbs to DEP in. i have to loose another 12 to ship out to boot camp. Which means in total I wll have to loose 97lbs before I can start my career.

I've lost 85 solid pounds in 9 months. Don't go for those quick diets, they don't work. hydroxycut works, but you have to stay on those. Keep at it, and in due time you will make it.

marines dont die, they just go to hell and regroup.

Correction

Marines don't ie, they just go to hell an regroup.

Read the forums rules.

HurricaneRJ
08-03-07, 06:05 PM
Damn, i try to correct someone and I **** up. Damn that **** is embarassing!!!

sycomarine5085
08-03-07, 06:15 PM
you got it. and for the record my sister was the former batalion cdr. for the unit. i am the upcomming supply officer and am looking to earn my lt jg rank(navy rotc). i am hopefully going to get batalion cdr.(5 butter bars in the navy ranks) my senior year in h.s.

oh thx for reminding me, ive got to go in to school on monday and work with my supply people. i got a full invintory due on the 11th and we havent even started yet. oh well we work fast and hard and my people love and respect me.

HurricaneRJ
08-03-07, 06:17 PM
Still fix your line in your signature. The Marines here are very picky about Marine not being capatalized. Also proper use og grammar is a must around here.

jells08
08-03-07, 06:33 PM
Armstrong pull-up program got me from 8 pull-ups to 20 in about 1 1/2 months. Check it out for yourselves.

futuremarine129
08-03-07, 10:46 PM
Like GRiT I want a 300 on the PFT and I got about a year before I can enlist so thats plenty of time to work on it.

Pull Ups - 9

Sit Ups - 71

Run - 21ish

= 198

DaftPunk
08-04-07, 12:00 PM
Peak weight: 348lbs
Current : 312lbs
Needed to enlist: 214lbs

If I lose 10lbs a month I can enlist in about 11 months......

So my goal is to lose about 7-10 lbs a month.

dabigeddie1
08-22-07, 11:13 PM
Peak Weight= 356
Current Weight=318
Goal Weight=200

I met up with a recruiter and he put me on this 3 day diet, ive been on it for a month and a half...ive lost 38 lbs so far...im also going to the gym and working out in the mountains whenever i have time

my diet...it really works!

3 day diet courtesy of:
my recruiter
*** i lost 11 lbs in my first 3 days***

"DAY ONE"

BREAKFAST- black coffee, tea, or water, 1/2 grapefruit, 1 slice of toast, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.

LUNCH- 1/2 cup tuna, 1 slice of toast, coffee or tea.

DINNER- 2 slices any type of meat(3oz), 1 cup string beans, 1 cup of beets, 1 small apple, 1 cup of vanilla ice cream.

"DAY TWO"

BREAKFAST- 1 hard boiled egg, 1 slice of toast, 1/2 banana, coffee or tea.

LUNCH- 1 cup of cottage cheese, 5 saltine crackers, water.

DINNER- 2 hot dogs, 1 cup broccoli, 1/2 cup of carrots, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream.

"DAY THREE"

BREAKFAST- 5 saltine crackers, 1 slice cheddar cheese, 1 small apple.

LUNCH- 1 hard boiled egg, 1 slice of toast.

DINNER- 1 cup of tuna, 1 cup of beets, 1 cup of cauliflower, 1/2 a cantaloupe, 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream.

* DIET WORKS ON A CHEMICAL BREAKDOWN AND IS PROVEN. DO NOT VARY OR SUBSTITUTE ANY OF THE ABOVE FOODS. SALT AND PEPPER MAY BE USED BUT NO OTHER SEASONINGS. WHERE NO QUANTITY IS GIVEN THERE IS NO RESTRICTIONS, OTHER THAN COMMON SENSE. THIS DIET IS TO BE USED 3 DAYS AT A TIME. IN THREE DAYS YOU WILL LOSE 10 LBS. AFTER THREE DAYS OF DIETING, YOU CAN EAT YOUR NORMAL FOODS, BUT DO NOT OVER EAT. AFTER FOUR DAYS OF NORMAL EATING, START BACK ON THE THREE DAY DIET. YOU CAN LOSE UP TO 40 LBS. IN A MONTH. IF YOU STICK TO THIS DIET. IT IS A SAFE DIET.

**DO NOT PIECE BETWEEN MEALS**

NOTE: ICE CREAM IS ALWAYS VANILLA

HOPEFULLY BY EARLY TO MID NEXT YEAR I WILL BE ABLE TO GO TO MCRD SAN DIEGO AND EARN ME AN EAGLE GLOBE AND ANCHOR-->:usmc:

HurricaneRJ
08-22-07, 11:58 PM
Yeah, the three day diet. It works for sure, but your only loosing mostly muscle and it will come back REAL QUICK.

dabigeddie1
08-23-07, 12:23 AM
Yeah, the three day diet. It works for sure, but your only loosing mostly muscle and it will come back REAL QUICK.
Yeah I noticed that, because the first two weeks on it i did not do much weight training or cardio and when i finally did i noticed i was weaker so thats when i started to work out more...I have a question for you, do you know of any breathing techniques I could use when running?

Bullrider
08-23-07, 02:29 AM
Last month I weighed in at 284, at todays DEP meeting 263.

My goal is by Sept. 20 to be at 225 lbs so I can enlist, however afterwards I am going to drop to 200 lbs.

My doctor says I can not drop below 200 lbs or something bad will happen, I forget. I measured my bodyfat at 284 lbs and it was( I believe) 26% ,using calipers.

08-23-07, 04:05 AM

..You seem to be very quick to preach and act like you've been there and done that .. but I would only say, that until you earn the title, I would'nt offer any advice. .. . I've already been through the Army BCT (and that dont mean sh*t) and saw enough "know-it-alls" cry and beg for a phone call home to mommy and lil sista .. so seriously, just concentrate on making sure that you get a 1st class PFT score all the way through; otherwise, nothing you type on here means anything .. . ..

HurricaneRJ
08-23-07, 06:14 AM
2007614. I have been there and done that when it came to loosing weight. I lost an average of 10lbs a month since January. So I could DEP in at 225.

Thats the first diet I did. I lost weight, but I ran out of the required food and my weight comes back quickly. Anytime you loose weight real fast it will come back real fast. It's just common sense. You just have to keep doing it. It's the same with Hydroxycut, I was on that, ran out of pills and like that I got my weight back. So I just stop relying on more on the diets to loose weight, so I just stuck with eating celery and drinking grapefruit juice to burn more calories and of course did more PT. I'm not offering him any advice on the Boot Camp. I've busted my-ass from 310 down to where I am now. Tried just about everything to get there too.

HurricaneRJ
08-23-07, 06:21 AM
Yeah I noticed that, because the first two weeks on it i did not do much weight training or cardio and when i finally did i noticed i was weaker so thats when i started to work out more...I have a question for you, do you know of any breathing techniques I could use when running?
Go to this link and read Walkinman's post. This Marine KNOWS what he is talking about when it comes to running.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52364

Rbatteate
08-23-07, 07:33 AM
Congrats on all the weight loss everybody.
Thats awsome you guys are doing all this work for the Corps.
Lets see, I have about 30 pounds I could gain, who wants to trade 15 college credits for 30 pounds?
anyone?

marinepooly1361
08-23-07, 07:40 AM
Congrats on all the weight loss everybody.
Thats awsome you guys are doing all this work for the Corps.
Lets see, I have about 30 pounds I could gain, who wants to trade 15 college credits for 30 pounds?
anyone?

If you need to gain weight, do it smart, just dont go packing on fat.

But I'll trade ya like 10 pounds fer 15 credits.....??

dabigeddie1
08-23-07, 10:10 AM
Go to this link and read Walkinman's post. This Marine KNOWS what he is talking about when it comes to running.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52364

Thanks bro, we got a long way to go, but were gonna get there...As long as we stay motivated and have that never quit mentality.

08-23-07, 02:10 PM
2007614. I have been there and done that when it came to loosing weight. I lost an average of 10lbs a month since January. So I could DEP in at 225.

Thats the first diet I did. I lost weight, but I ran out of the required food and my weight comes back quickly. Anytime you loose weight real fast it will come back real fast. It's just common sense. You just have to keep doing it. It's the same with Hydroxycut, I was on that, ran out of pills and like that I got my weight back. So I just stop relying on more on the diets to loose weight, so I just stuck with eating celery and drinking grapefruit juice to burn more calories and of course did more PT. I'm not offering him any advice on the Boot Camp. I've busted my-ass from 310 down to where I am now. Tried just about everything to get there too.

I hear you man, and I apologize for my little rant. Congratulations on your weight loss, and keep up the good work.

Rbatteate
08-23-07, 04:15 PM
I weigh 165-170... Im good on the weight, Ill lose it all anyways if its just fat.
That sounds great though, if we could do this surgically or something...
just get me the paper work. :)

JCam0331
08-23-07, 04:28 PM
I thought this would be a good place that we can all put our goals, whether it's losing wieght, gaining weight, running longer, or anything of that nature.

My Goal: August 18: 265 lbs.

Stay Moto!

don't even ship to boot camp with anything less than a 1st class pft

dabigeddie1
09-12-07, 01:47 PM
hows everyone doing with their weight goals? im still on the 3 day diet my recruiter put me on, its been working, just a few more months

DaftPunk
09-12-07, 02:30 PM
I'm coming along slowly, my goal was 10 lbs a month, This month I lost about 8 lbs, no good... But atleast I didn't gain any. One thing I did manage to do that was somewhat decent was run a mile in 11:23. Horrible I know, but concidering 2 months ago I could bearly do it in 14:00 its a start.

I'm hesitant to go on those "lose weight fast diets" some of you guys are on for two reasons, First being that I know from experiance, the faster you lose it, the easier it comes back and the secound being that I lift alot of weights and I've heard those diets get rid of muscle mass as well as fat. Can anyone conform this? Or am I just misguided? Can I go on one of those fast diet and take like protein supplemts to not lose any strenght? :no:

Another thing is that when I run, not always, but sometimes my knees hurt after the run. It will creep up after I shower up and am just idle, its not a horrible pain but I can feel it. However, if I start to walk around or even run alittle bit more the pain goes away. It never bothers me while I'm running or hiking, ect, but After I'm done is when it creeps up.
It goes away after a day of no running. Should I be worried about this? Will it go away as I get lighter? Should I be strechting better?

dabigeddie1
09-12-07, 02:54 PM
I'm coming along slowly, my goal was 10 lbs a month, This month I lost about 8 lbs, no good... But atleast I didn't gain any. One thing I did manage to do that was somewhat decent was run a mile in 11:23. Horrible I know, but concidering 2 months ago I could bearly do it in 14:00 its a start.

I'm hesitant to go on those "lose weight fast diets" some of you guys are on for two reasons, First being that I know from experiance, the faster you lose it, the easier it comes back and the secound being that I lift alot of weights and I've heard those diets get rid of muscle mass as well as fat. Can anyone conform this? Or am I just misguided? Can I go on one of those fast diet and take like protein supplemts to not lose any strenght? :no:

Another thing is that when I run, not always, but sometimes my knees hurt after the run. It will creep up after I shower up and am just idle, its not a horrible pain but I can feel it. However, if I start to walk around or even run alittle bit more the pain goes away. It never bothers me while I'm running or hiking, ect, but After I'm done is when it creeps up.
It goes away after a day of no running. Should I be worried about this? Will it go away as I get lighter? Should I be strechting better?

Hey bro I've been on that 3 day diet my recruiter put me on for 2 months now, ive lost 56lbs so far, still got a long way to go...Anywho I've always been strong, when i was in high school playing football i was the strongest in my whole school of 3000+ students...I will admit I did lose alot of muscle, but the reason why I think I did is because I was focusing solely on Cardio not doing any weight training whatsoever...So i recently started incorporating push ups and other various workouts, nothing too much since your not trying to become a bodybuilder atleast not yet. Loose the fat first, THEN Gain the Muscles...thats where i F'ed up but you learn through your mistakes, if you want a copy of that 3 day diet go to my myspace @ http://www.myspace.com/dabigeddie1 its on my blog...or simply message me and i will send you it

dabigeddie1
09-12-07, 02:58 PM
:no:

When I played Football in High School I used to get this sometimes towards the beginning of the season, I used Icy Hot and the pain would go away...As i would get deeper into the season I would not get these pains anymore

DaftPunk
09-13-07, 12:18 AM
Loose the fat first, THEN Gain the Muscles...
I know, I know.. But I've worked hard to get where I'm at, I'd hate to back track.

But your absolutely right.

When I played Football in High School I used to get this sometimes towards the beginning of the season, I used Icy Hot and the pain would go away...As i would get deeper into the season I would not get these pains anymore
I have noticed that they come by less often than before, so maybe the kness where just geting used to running?:thumbup:

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-13-07, 12:24 AM
Saying lose the fat first and then gain muscle is totally wrong. Muscle mass increases your base metabolic rate, meaning you burn more calories just sitting there. The biggest key to losing fat is to increase lean body mass.

If you have a lot of fat to lose, you should be lifting heavy weights regularly- focusing on the large muscle groups of the legs, back, and chest. Doing anything else is doing yourself a disservice.

DaftPunk
09-13-07, 12:30 AM
Saying lose the fat first and then gain muscle is totally wrong. Muscle mass increases your base metabolic rate, meaning you burn more calories just sitting there. The biggest key to losing fat is to increase lean body mass.

If you have a lot of fat to lose, you should be lifting heavy weights regularly- focusing on the large muscle groups of the legs, back, and chest. Doing anything else is doing yourself a disservice.

Right, I think Accord said the same thing once... How did I forget that?

hmmm now that I remember he aslo said "Lift to burn fat, not to get strong" So I guess my question has been awnsered, Thank you.

JChebahtah
09-13-07, 12:45 AM
Ugh! I envy those of you that have to gain weight! I have to lose 10 lbs. to DEP in (have to be 155). I'm hoping to ship in November so I'm trying to get it done in a few weeks! You all are helping me stay motivated. Good luck everyone!

:]

dabigeddie1
09-13-07, 01:11 AM

my doctor is a rat bastard then...thats what he told me, altho its kinda worked for me maybe its all the PT im doing

HurricaneRJ
09-13-07, 07:54 AM
Ugh! I envy those of you that have to gain weight! I have to lose 10 lbs. to DEP in (have to be 155). I'm hoping to ship in November so I'm trying to get it done in a few weeks! You all are helping me stay motivated. Good luck everyone!

:]

10lbs??? I won't mention what most fat bodies had to loose. Stay motivated, you could loose 10lbs in two days if you knew the orginal method.

Norkalkilla
09-13-07, 03:06 PM
I ship out to boot camp sunday and right now Im doing 264 on my PFT. 14 Chinups, 100 crunches and a 19 minute 3 mile. Im also doing this near Lake Tahoe at 6,000 feet elevation, so my goal is to bring my Chinups to 20+, and my 3 mile down to at least 17:59 for that perfect 300 on my PFT. See you all in december. :thumbup:

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-13-07, 03:22 PM
my doctor is a rat bastard then...thats what he told me, altho its kinda worked for me maybe its all the PT im doing

You can lose a little weight by restricting your diet and doing cardio. The problem with that line of thinking is that as soon as you try to return to a normal lifestyle you will gain more weight than you lost to begin with. (the yo yo effect) Your metabolism will be crashing as you go on a traditional low calorie diet. You will also be getting weaker, and weakness isn't a good thing for Marines.

As for lifting to lose weight and not to get strong- it doesn't work that way. If you're not getting stronger you're not building muscle- and that means you're wasting your time. You are trying to build muscle mass, which will make you stronger.

JChebahtah
09-13-07, 11:34 PM
10lbs??? I won't mention what most fat bodies had to loose. Stay motivated, you could loose 10lbs in two days if you knew the orginal method.

Well I'm gonna go soft here and say that girls have a harder time losing weight!! Naw, just kidding. But I've just plateued, already lost 20. Not sure about 2 days but I'll try!! And dang Norkalkilla! Keep up the hardcore-ness!

HurricaneRJ
09-13-07, 11:38 PM
10lbs in two days isn't really hard. The day your scheduled to go to MEPS. If your overweight or at weight, just sit in that sauna for an hour with a big black trash bag and you'll loose 6lbs in water weight. It's what I did.

DaftPunk
09-14-07, 10:54 PM
As for lifting to lose weight and not to get strong- it doesn't work that way. If you're not getting stronger you're not building muscle- and that means you're wasting your time. You are trying to build muscle mass, which will make you stronger.
Oh I am getting Stronger, every week:yes:

I guess what my real consern is, the Diet that dabigeddie is on doesn't seem to have a lot of protein, wouldn't that effect the lean body mass build up? Especially for someone who lifts 4 times a week (just the major mucle groups, none of that "beach-boy" body builder stuff)?

Or would it be good to do on the diet and then take protein suppluments?

Or am i just an idiot and don't know what the hell I'm doing? hahaha

HurricaneRJ
09-15-07, 12:13 AM
Any diet that claims to loose more than 3lbs a week is diet that goes after muscles. You will only get weaker by doing this diet.

But here is another important fact.

For every pound of mucsle you have you burn 200 calories aday. Just go running and the weight will fall off. Eat Carrots and Celery and lots of fruits and veggies to put in the nutrional value in you. As for protien. Eat alot of Baked Chicken or a Peanut Butter Sandwich.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-15-07, 12:33 AM
I hadn't really looked at much of the diet stuff people were talking about in the thread. Without a doubt you have to have protein to gain muscle. The best way to do it is through eating chicken, fish, and lean beef (from time to time, not often.) The protein supplements are great and have their place- but that isn't really here. They tend to be calorie dense and don't do much for you that you can't do with whole foods.

In Accord's thread he covers diet pretty well. Basically, eat often- eat balanced meals- learn about the GI index and use it to your advantage.

DaftPunk
09-15-07, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the answers Gentlemen, very helpful.:thumbup:

dabigeddie1
09-15-07, 03:43 PM
You can lose a little weight by restricting your diet and doing cardio. The problem with that line of thinking is that as soon as you try to return to a normal lifestyle you will gain more weight than you lost to begin with. (the yo yo effect) Your metabolism will be crashing as you go on a traditional low calorie diet. You will also be getting weaker, and weakness isn't a good thing for Marines.

Thanks for clarifying that for me, I have been losing alot of weight but I see what you mean, I have been getting weaker, my bench press max used to be 375 lbs, now im at 285

HurricaneRJ
09-15-07, 06:21 PM
Yeah it's going to go down more. Thats one thing I can't seem to figure out about the Corps is why would you want to send a recruit to training a whole lot weaker than before, but its the way the Corps wants it. I don't agree with it, but who the **** am I? I might have to get a waiver. The more I loose the weight the weaker I get. Even my run time has gone down.

If I work out for a solid week without running. i could easily gain pull-ups. But as soon as I hit the cardio again. My pull-ups go from 7 down to 4 down to 2 at times.

I bought the "Weight loss secrets, they don't want you to know about. If there is anything that I think my be useful I'll post it. But for now, just eat alot of protein to keep the mucsle.