PDA

View Full Version : Military Salute--Beaufort Marines & Sailors

thedrifter
07-18-07, 07:05 AM
07/17/07
Military Salute--Beaufort Marines & Sailors

Our Military friends and neighbors do more than just protect our country. Many make our communities a better place to live.

Turning Water Front Park into Water Festival headquarters doesn't happen overnight. It takes a lot of hard work from a lot of volunteers. Festival organizers depend on Beaufort marines and sailors to make it happen.

"They're young number one, willing to work, and they really do the heavy lifting for us and they are such an integral part of the success of the festival," said festival commodore Erin Dean. "I can emphatically say that we would not be able to put on a Water Festival without the support and help from our military folks."

"We're so fortunate to have our military helpers here...we couldn't do it without them," said festival coordinator, Sherri Little.

Working long hours out in the heat isn't an easy job, but these marines and sailors say they enjoy being able to lend a hand. "I wanted to see what it was like," said Beaufort Marine, Rico Brown. "I just wanted to be a part of something."

"It's a lot of work, but it's easy, not more than we do back on the Air Station," said Beaufort Marine, Marlon Green.

James Traenkner is a corpsmen at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort and has been volunteering with the festival for five years. He just arrived back from serving our country in the Middle East. "Just coming back off of deployment, we served our country overseas," said Traenkner. "We wanted to come back and serve our community so it gives us a chance to reach our hands out and help out the community."

"We couldn't be more proud of what they do for our country and what they do for us locally," said Dean.

For all these marines and sailors do for our country and our community, we at WTOC salute all of them who help make the Beaufort Water Festival a success.

Reported by: Jaime Dailey, jdailey@wtoc.com

Ellie