PDA

View Full Version : I know that you aren't doctors,

Qwarkeh
07-17-07, 07:22 PM
but I've been having this one problem for the past month and a half or so.

I'm very new to running, and I've been having this pain in my shin (just in one leg) since the beginning of June. I happens only when I go above a slow jogging speed, every other time it is just fine. I have been jogging at a speed that doesn't cause any pain every other day, should I continue to do that? I'm just kind of worried because I don't want to hurt myself even more.

Phantom Blooper
07-17-07, 07:58 PM
The forum doctor is in...Check the Poolee Hall of Fame and search for shin splints.:evilgrin:

Billd
07-17-07, 08:40 PM
I do a little running and have been injury free for over 5 years now.
I'm no expert but have ran a marathon or two. I'm certainly no doctor but have learned a few things along the way.
Could be the shoes you're running in. There are three basic types of running shoes: cushioned, stability and motion control. which one is right for you depends on a few things like do your feet tend to roll out or in when you run, you can tell by looking at the wear pattern on some shoes you've been wearing for awhile. Also your arch height, is it a low, medium or high arch? You can tell by wetting the bottom of your foot and stepping on dry concrete, just a normal step, don't force it. Then look at the imprint left, if it looks like the whole bottom of your foot then you have a low arch, if there is a medium curve towards the outside of your foot then it's medium, sharp curve, high. if you find that your foot rolls in or out, then you need a motion control shoe, if you are a heavier runner, then you will need stabilty, light runner and your feet don't roll : a cushioned running shoe.
You can also check out www.runnersworld.com (http://www.runnersworld.com) Lots of injury info there and even a beginning runners forum. Nice folks that are willing to listen and help. There's even a high school runners forum.
The first and biggest mistake new runners make is going to Sports Authority, or footlocker type places and buying the cheapest pair of running shoes there is. You got to run in the right shoes to stay injury free. The "go fasters" you get at recruit training are New Balance. They have New balance running shoe stores in all the malls these days with a pretty knowledgable staff. They will get you in the right shoe.
One other thing to remember is that speed won't come over night. You have to build endurance before speed. The endurance part gets your muscles ready for speed. Trying to push it to hard to soon WILL put you on the sidelines with an injury. Even the Corps doesn't expect you to run 3 miles right away. They build up your endurance before they expect you to run 3 miles! Best thing to do is stay consistant. Every other day to Start and Never run hard two work outs in a row.
A drill instructor recently told some poolees too get to where they were comfortablle with 2 miles and he would take care of the other mile and have them ready for five by the end of training.
Oh yeah just remebered another site, www.roadrunnersports.com (http://www.roadrunnersports.com) They have a section there called "shoe dog" you answer a few qeustions about yourself and they will recommend the shoe for you.
Hope all this helps a little, just be slow easy and consistant till your ship date. The DI's will get you into the shape the Corps needs you in.
Also check out www.runinjuryfree.com (http://www.runinjuryfree.com)