PDA

View Full Version : Integrity57

kbs95125
07-17-07, 06:44 PM
Hey Tony, your PM box is full and I feel its important enough to post here so you can get it.

My response to you last message to me:

I enlisted after the regulation took affect. I believe I started the process...on the 28th of April. DEP'd in on the 1st of May. My recruiter was unsure about trying with me as well. I told him that I wouldn't take no for an answer. I needed to try. If I tried and failed so be it, God had other plans for me. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try.

They don't want to try for the waiver because waivers are alot of work for them. And all the time they spend on processing one persons waiver(s) could be spent getting 3 other people who don't need them in. You just have to show them that you want it, so at least if it doesn't go through they know they didn't waste the time on someone who wasn't determined. Can you really walk away without getting someone to at least submit the waiver for you?

bgsuwoody
07-17-07, 07:22 PM
Well, well, well, Integrity. God knows I won't accept you taking no for an answer. Comence giving you **** again. Come on, you know you want this, don't settle for second best. Go in there again and tell them you aren't leaving this time until they put you in a waiver...

jetdoc
07-17-07, 07:56 PM
See Tony, thats what I was saying too, don't take no for an answer from 2 recruiters from the same office....use the Chain of Command and when you have totally used up all of your options then at least you know you gave it your total 100% best and you won't regret anything.

bgsuwoody
07-17-07, 07:58 PM
Especially cause you tats are pretty sweet lol!

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-18-07, 02:02 AM
Honestly, I think he may be in a situation where he can do something else with his life of have them removed. The Marine Corps is serious about the tattoo policy. If you're borderline, you may get through. But, I think he goes beyond that.

As I told him on the other forum, I think his best option would be to become a Corpsman. He would be with Marine units, would be accepted as a Marine once he proved himself to his unit, and doesn't have to come up with thousands of dollars to get the tats removed.

I just hope his situation shows othe wannabes that you need to think about everything you do... it could come back to haunt you.

jetdoc
07-18-07, 08:35 AM
E4B, not only is the removal process expensive its hurts like the dickens, from what I've been told.

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-18-07, 12:45 PM
I am sure it does. I never decided to "decorate" myself, so I wouldn't know.

kbs95125
07-18-07, 01:41 PM
The biggest problem with the removal process besides the pain and the cost is the scars its leaves.

E4B,
I had told him some of those exact same things, and the tattoo policy is dead serious, especially in the recruiting district he is in. I had to go through the same waiver process he should be going through. I think the biggest problem he is facing now is not even being allowed the chance to try for a waiver. Its just a matter of if the BGen who is approving the waivers for your district is having a good day or not. The same day I was approved for my waiver I saw someone with 2 felonys get a waiver as well. A woman from my RSS with prior service in the Army, couldn't get a weight or prior service waiver though.

Like my recruiter told me, I had the determination to get the waiver and get in, and if it didn't go through we'd try again in a few months. If I didin't get afeter a second I probably wouldn't have.

Tony, when you have to do your part I told you about for the waiver, make sure you have at least 3 really good references, especially if they have a military background and you've known them longer then you've had the tattoos. If you can get more then 3 do it!

Fubar5812
07-18-07, 01:43 PM
I've noticed 2 of the recruiters at the station in my town have sleeves,so they don't mind if you get a tattoo AFTER earning the title?

bgsuwoody
07-18-07, 01:47 PM
You could get grandfathered in if you had the tatoos before the new regulation went into affect. However, now you are unable to get sleeves or other tattoos that display below PT gear.

HurricaneRJ
07-18-07, 02:16 PM
Getting a Tattoo is okay in my book, but don't go to extreme while in service. Sgt. Jetdoc has some really good ones. The Iwo Jima Flag raising is my favourite, but that is unacceptable now. My NCOIC has the EGA on his right upperarm and a green dragon going from his back to his upper leftarm. His tattoos are okay because it doesn't show with any uniform he has on.
Now there are a lot of well capabale guys that have tattoos and the new policy really hurts some person trying to serve his country. I don't like the new tattoo policy but if the commadant wants it this way, then so be it.

jetdoc
07-18-07, 02:17 PM
There should be some sort of a period that they can look at it as a case by case basis. Its not like he was looking at the Marines after he had the tats and knew about the policy. I believe he was in the process while the new reg came out? Clear that up maybe?

Integrity57
07-18-07, 04:01 PM
I started getting tattooed a couple years before I really looked at joining the Marine Corps and in January of this year I decided that the Corps was what I wanted to do with my life and started getting in shape, then a couple months before I finished up my Aviation Maintenance school the new Regulation was put into effect and since I hadn't enlisted by that time I wasn't eligable to be grandfathered while in the DEP. Today I went back to the RS and no one was there and this was about an hour ago my time. I plan on calling them in a short while and seeing what information I can get from them about this because, like I said in another thread, as soon as I said "I want to enlist" the Sgt. said he couldn't do anything for me because I had half-sleeves on both forearms and they are clearly visible in PT gear, which is prohibited in the new Regulation.

jetdoc
07-18-07, 04:10 PM
What Aviation Maintenance school are you talking about Tony? Were you already in the DEP? If so I thought thats technically enlisted? Sorry if this is repeating for you, just trying to get it straight in my peanut.

Integrity57
07-18-07, 04:20 PM
I was attending an Aviation Maintenance school through the Southwest Technology Center in a little town in southwest Oklahoma. No I wasn't in the DEP back then, I was planning on finishing my schooling and then enlisting in the Corps because I had made a promise to my parents that I would see my schooling through to the end and not just drop out and enlist.

kbs95125
07-18-07, 04:29 PM
I called my recruiter yesterday and we've apparently had 2 people go in this week for tattoo waivers, and I know they are going to have to do one for a friend of mine considering joining and he has 2 visible in PT gear. I don't have a sleeve, but I have the one on my forearm and the one inside my bicep that are both visible in pt gear.

I haven't seen your tattoos yet Tony, what do they depict? Thats really what they harp on. I have 7 tattoos total and 4 of them have guns which caused concern. Go figure.

Its all about who you talk to and how they interpret the regulations.

jetdoc
07-18-07, 04:30 PM
Ahh, ok. Its too bad you just didn't go into the Military before going to AMT school, that way you'd be an AMT, and it would've been paid for by Uncle Sam.

Hindsight is 20/20, I know.

Can you move to an area that would give you a better chance at getting a waiver? I know that probably not going to happen as its expensive and headache.

jetdoc
07-18-07, 04:36 PM
Living in Cali maybe the powers to be in your area have a more "Cali" outlook on tats Kyle. You're not going to have any probs I take it then?

Integrity57
07-18-07, 04:45 PM
There is no way I could move somewhere else unfortunately because I just moved to where I am only two weeks ago and have no money saved up because I had to quit my job to attend the AMT school I went to full-time.

Integrity57
07-18-07, 05:19 PM
Ok I just spoke with Sgt. Hudson at my local Marine Corps RS and he told me that there is no way, even if I went to another recruiting district, that I would be able to obtain a waiver for my tattoos. He told me that not too long ago he had a Poolee with only a 1/4 sleeve on his forearm not get approved for a waiver at MEPs. He then told me that the Marine Corps is starting efforts to not allow Active Duty Marines with large tattoos or many tattoos re-enlist and he said that this is through out the entire Marine Corps and all recruiting districts. I really have no other choice than to take him for his word, but I am not admitting defeat, I am going to Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome and continue with my enlisting process in the Navy and at least work alongside the Marines if I cannot be a Marine and serve my country proudly.

jetdoc
07-18-07, 05:23 PM
Bummer...

Integrity57
07-18-07, 05:47 PM
It is jetdoc, but I look at it as I still have a chance to serve my country and do something great with my life. Maybe before too long the Corps will repeal this regulation and I will be able to cross over and become a Marine, but until then I will serve proudly in the Navy alongside my Marine brothers and sisters.

jetdoc
07-18-07, 06:20 PM
Good attitude, I wonder how many good potential Marines we will lose out on before they tweak this regulation?

As whats been said many times, there isn't anything wrong with the Navy, its a fine branch with a rich tradition.

Phantom Blooper
07-19-07, 09:50 PM
Waiver Guideline Website
<HR style="COLOR: #ccccff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/Wa...pics/exams.htm (http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm)

kbs95125
07-19-07, 09:56 PM
The link is down or not working, sir.

kbs95125
07-19-07, 10:00 PM
Living in Cali maybe the powers to be in your area have a more "Cali" outlook on tats Kyle. You're not going to have any probs I take it then?

No sir, my waiver went through. However I believe Tony and I are in the same west coast district which would mean the same BGen. who reviewed my waiver would have been the one to look at his.

jetdoc
07-20-07, 03:18 PM
Kyle, your tats must be more hidden than Tony's ehh?

kbs95125
07-20-07, 05:22 PM
I have one on my right forearm, a banner with the word "loyalty". It's about 6-7 inches long. I also have another that covers my inside left bicep, and partially wraps around to the top of Flamingo in the jungle firing an M-16.

Those are the ones "exposed" in PT gear. I have 5 more under my shirt. From what I understand, Tony's are more extensive on the forearm then my own, however I was told I was doing the waiver for a tattoo not only because I had some that were considered "exposed" but also because I had more then 4.

jetdoc
07-20-07, 06:23 PM
Im at work so I can't check myspace, I will later, are you tats on there?

kbs95125
07-20-07, 06:41 PM
I know my bicep is, I don't know if my forearm is though

jetdoc
07-20-07, 06:49 PM
YOUR tats that is..hate the 5 minute window to make corrections.