PDA

View Full Version : So you want to be Recon/Scout Sniper/John Wayne

kbs95125
07-16-07, 07:07 PM
All of this is information I found by using Google.
Before you ask a question that has been answered already, read the forums,
THEN USE THE SEARCH TOOL!

SCOUT SNIPER-

How do I become a Scout Sniper?

Criteria:
1. Lance Corporal through Captain.
2. Infantry MOS or MOS 0203.
3. Vision correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. Color blindness is discouraged.
4. Serving in or designated for assignment to a Scout Sniper billet.
5. Minimum of 12 months remaining on current contract upon completion of course
(Does not apply to reservist)
6. Must score a First Class PFT on course convene date.
7. Current rifle Expert. Must have qualified in the last fiscal year.
(Reservist can have a score three years old, but must be current Expert)
8. No courts martials or NJP within the last six months.
9. Minimum GT of 100.
10. No history of mental illness.
11. Must be a volunteer.
12. It is HIGHLY recommended, but not required, for the student to have completed the following MCI courses: Land Navigation, Patrolling, Calling and Adjusting Supporting Arms, and Reconnaissance Marine. It is also recommended but not required that the student have conducted basic Scout Sniper field skills: stalks, consealment, field sketches, range cards, range estimations, and firing of the M-40A1 prior to attending the course. Students should also posses a high degree of maturity, equanimity, and common sense.
13. Bottom line: the best, most experienced infantry you can send.

Two of the better ways of becoming a Scout/Sniper are through a Recon unit or an Infantry Battalion. First join the Marine Corps with an Infantry MOS. While in Boot Camp you will need to shoot Expert on the rifle range, become at least a second class swimmer and score a high first class PFT. Upon completion of Infantry training you will be given the opportunity to volunteer for Recon or Force Recon. If you successfully complete their indoc you will be sent to a Recon unit where you will first qualify as a Recon Marine then given the opportunity to volunteer for Scout/Sniper School. BN Recon and Force Recon have school seats assigned to them for every S/S School.

The other way is to be sent to an Infantry Battalion and then volunteer for the Scout/Sniper Platoon. The S/S Plt runs indocs annually and pulls in personnel from the BN. Each Sniper unit runs its own version of the indoc but they are all extremely difficult. Once in the unit you will go through all the training to become a sniper before ever going to S/S School. Once at the school you will be expected to have all the basic knowledge of a Scout/Sniper and the advanced knowledge of an infantry Marine. You will show up with everything that you will need to make it through the school including your ghillie suit. There are no second chances at the school and drops are a daily occurrence.
Marine Snipers are generally regarded as the best snipers in the world. There is a reason for that!

What training and schools can I expect to attend?

Initial training consists of Marine Recruit Training, & the School of Infantry, which includes training as a rifleman. Students are then assigned to a Scout/Sniper Platoon (after successful completion of a grueling Indoc). Upon successful completion of the Indoc, Marines receive various technical and tactical training. Once a Marine is a sound Sniper he is then sent to an 11 week Scout/Sniper School. Upon successful completion of Scout/Sniper School a Scout/Sniper can attend many professional military schools. Among these are: Airborne, Pathfinder, Ranger, Combat Diver, Basic Reconnaissance Course, Mountain warfare & assault climber, Jungle operations, specialized training in urban tactics, Close Quarters Battle & shooting skills, demolitions, communications, photography, sketching, controlling aircraft landing operations and directing Airstrikes, Naval Gunfire and Artillery.

Minimum Requirements: Male, volunteer, 0300-Infantry MOS, E2 - E7, 01-03 0302 or 0203, expert rifleman, having a second class or higher swim qualification, a first-class score on their Physical Fitness Test (PFT), eye sight correctable to 20/20, not color blind, no office hours or Non-Judicial Punishments within last 6 months, qualify for a secret security clearance, and posses a GT score of 110 or higher.
Marine Corps PFT:For a perfect score: 3 mile run in 18 minutes, 20 deadhang pull-ups(No Swinging), 100 sit-up/crunch's under two minutes.
Obstacle course: Tests upper body strength and should be completed around a minute.
Swim Qual: 500 meter swim using side or breast stroke, 50 meter swim holding a weight out of water, tread water for 30 seconds holding a weight out of water, no signs of panic.

Basic Infantry knowledge is a must as is land navigation. Failure of one evolution will fail you from the indoc. They will supply all special material, you will supply your own war and writing gear. You must bring all needed uniforms. A high first class PFT is mandatory. All events should be passed with 80% or better. Medical drops will be allowed to retest in the future. DORs(drop on request) or quitters will not be allowed to retest at a later date. This is an individual and team effort. They want to evaluate you and how you work with the group. Patrolling is with a full combat load. If you can't hump at least 70 Lbs you probably will not make it! Stay in shape and stay motivated. Indocs usually wash out 80% with some finishing at 100% failure.

RECON-
What training and schools can I expect to attend?

Initial training consists of Marine Recruit Training, & the School of Infantry, training as a rifleman. Students are then assigned to the Basic Recon Course. Upon successful completion of the BRC, Marines report to their assigned recon unit & receive various professional, technical and tactical training. Among these are: Airborne (basic and Military Freefall) Jumpmaster, Pathfinder, Ranger, Scout-Sniper, Combat Diver (SCUBA) Diving Supervisor, Mountain warfare & assault climber, Jungle operations, specialized training in urban tactics, Close Quarters Battle & shooting skills, demolitions, communications, photography, controlling aircraft landing operations and directing Airstrikes, Naval Gunfire and Artillery.

Requirements-

Recently, changes in recruiting have enabled young recruits with little experience to attend the RECON Indoctrination Program (RIP). Students with the MOS 0321 RECON Marine are then assigned to the Basic Recon Course (BRC). The new Marine will be placed in BRC with Marines with several years experience as well. But upon successful completion of the BRC, all Marines report to their assigned recon unit & receive various professional, technical and tactical training. Ask your recruiter about the RECON MOS Option if interested in becoming a RECON Marine.

The Marine Recon INDOC-

1st Force Recon's current "indoc" or RIP is a 48 hr. evolution. Previously, in order to even get invited to attend the indoctrination course, you must have between 3-4 years of experience in the field and should be scoring at least 285 on the Marine Corp PFT: As with any Special Operation units, you must be a stellar Marine with a near flawless record. Recently, the new program mentioned above will allow highly motivated new recruits a chance to attend RIP. As long as they are physically above average and are able to reach the scores above (275 enlisted – 285 officer) they can attend after bootcamp. Below scores represent a perfect 300 on the USMC PFT:

3 mile run (18:00min 100pts)
20 pullups (dead hang) 100pts
80 situps/2min. 100pts.

You will be required to perform two obstacle courses in under 2:00 each time, swim 500 meters in full cammies in 17:00, and other fun water activities. 10 mile ruck with 50lbs pack in under 2 hours is also graded.

It helps to prepare months in advance with swimming at least 4-5 times a week. Wear cammies and fins at least once a week too. Minimum swim practice time should be an hour daily.

You will also be required to perform what is called a Level Test which is:

Max Push ups 2min.
Max Sit ups 2min.
Max Pull ups 2min.
Max Flutter Kicks 2min.
Max 8 Count pushups in 2:00
Max scissors in 2:00

Your calisthenics workouts should consist of the above exercises performed every other day for a total of 3-4 times per week. The day of PT rest will help your muscles recover and be able to gain more reps in two minutes. Also practice perfect form but do each of the exercises as fast as you can. Speed and endurance is your goal.

Running is also a major part of INDOC. You should run at least 4-5 times per week and perform a rucksack run once a week in order to prepare for the following:

Forced March (or "Hump") for 20 miles @ 4-5mph
Rucksack Run 3-4 miles timed (with 50 lb)

After repeating the Marine PFT again you get to interview with the Team Leader and Company CO/XO. You may physically make it but still not get selected. Usually, it is attitude and teamwork difficulties that get you rejected at this phase of INDOC.

Once selected, the Marines are assigned Recon Indoctrination Platoon. This is similar to going back to bootcamp. The Marines have only supervised liberty, physical training and classes at all time of the day and night at the Amphibious Reconnaissance School (ARS) in Little Creek, VA or Coronado, CA. Once the Marine finishes ARS, he is a Reconnaissance Marine.

Refer to this thread for more information on the Recon Indoc from someone WHO TOOK IT.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46028&highlight=recon

John Wayne-

You could never be John Wayne! EVER!

That is all.

Sgt D
07-16-07, 07:37 PM
This is some good info poolee, but keep in mind that the Scout Sniper Indoc is mapped out by the unit conducting it. Therefore, it may be more or less difficult than what is listed here.

kbs95125
07-16-07, 07:41 PM
Thank you for that info Sgt. D

Hopefully the Poolees who need it, use it.

rick777
07-17-07, 02:25 AM
Awesome thread.

bgsuwoody
07-17-07, 02:53 AM
Where's the post for how to be as cool as you Score, I think that's what the Poolee's really want to know!

Integrity57
07-17-07, 11:27 AM
John Wayne-

You could never be John Wayne! EVER!

Damn skippy.

Accord
07-17-07, 02:09 PM
The requirements listed above are simply the basics just to get into STA Plt., not to become a scout sniper. You need to go through a hell of a lot more just to get a school seat, there are guys here in my unit in STA Plt. with three deployments under their belts who still haven't gotten a school seat yet and may never.

TrevelyanInc
07-17-07, 02:09 PM
Are you John Wayne? Is this me?

devildoghopeful
07-17-07, 02:32 PM
Who said that? WHO THE **** SAID THAT!?!?! Who's the slimy communist **** twinkle-toed ****sucker down here who just signed his own death warrant?

GySgt Hartman is the best charcter ever. I can only hope that if I get the chance to endure the test of finding myself worthy, that my Drill Instructors will be as hard, if not more so than him.

Integrity57
07-17-07, 02:47 PM
There will only be one John Wayne ever Trev, no one can fill The Duke's boots, no one.

kbs95125
07-17-07, 03:03 PM
Thanks for putting that information in here Accord!

kbs95125
07-17-07, 03:07 PM
Where's the post for how to be as cool as you Score, I think that's what the Poolee's really want to know!

I think it was hidden somewhere in the forum rules and regulations...:p

kbs95125
07-19-07, 09:18 PM
bump

kbs95125
07-27-07, 02:51 PM
bump again.

kbs95125
10-01-07, 12:47 PM
military dot com for the above link

kbs95125
06-09-08, 09:57 AM
Kill bodies

gobuffs10
06-09-08, 09:37 PM
well there goes my hopes of being a sniper.

my recruiter said every kid wants to be a sniper. so i kinda felt dumb.

Bolt Action
07-07-08, 06:28 AM
This was very informative. Gave me a clear understanding of what I might be getting myself into.

FattyTheFerret
07-07-08, 12:36 PM
From what I saw at the office and some googling around, these days you can sign up for MOS 0317 just like any other infantry MOS but I would imagine the same path after recruit training and SOI is necessary. I wonder what happens to the guys that don't qualify even though they signed up for it; I'm guessing they get sent to an infantry unit as a rifleman.

Awesome information. I've had my eye on scout/sniper for a while but due to a moral waiver it's not an option for me at the enlistment stage. Maybe one day.

amarine0311
07-07-08, 01:24 PM
I've had my eye on scout/sniper for a while but due to a moral waiver it's not an option for me at the enlistment stage. Maybe one day.

What the hell is a moral waiver??

FattyTheFerret
07-07-08, 01:52 PM
Felony charge when I was a kid. Not sure if that's the proper term for it but it's what stuck in my head. <br />
<br />
Since my waiver had to go above the district level it meant certain jobs were not an...

bgsuwoody
07-07-08, 04:44 PM
God I'm so glad this thread made it back lol

UsmcMotorT
07-09-08, 12:02 PM
Good info. I met a SSGT who started off in Food Services and became a Scout Sniper. He was with 1/23

MLMonk
07-10-08, 08:01 PM
My recruiter was a Scout Sniper, with over 800 missions under his belt. If anyone needs any other questions within the next week I can possibly ask him and relay it to you.

UsmcMotorT
07-11-08, 07:32 AM
YEa ask him if you really have to start off as an 03XX

I met a SSGT who started off in Food services and became a Scout Sniper.

If that's the case I wouldnt mind seeing if I can get that too.

thewookie
07-11-08, 11:12 AM
YEa ask him if you really have to start off as an 03XX

I met a SSGT who started off in Food services and became a Scout Sniper.

If that's the case I wouldnt mind seeing if I can get that too.

Anything is possible, I guess, but the only logical way that a SSgt. in food services could have gone to SS school would be to have done a lat move into the 03 field (or 02,& 58 fields), and then went the "normal" route.

The requirements are pretty stringent in regards to what MOS's they will let go to the school, and earn the title. Pretty much have to be an 03, they'll let some 02's, and also some 58's.

Some guys over time might have been lucky, and got a seat to the school, but if they aint an 03, 02, or 58 they never served in that billet.

Rains
07-22-08, 02:28 PM
So, If I was a combat engineer (Mos 1371) would I be eligble to apply for Force Recon? and if I met the required physical and asvab requirments?

*EDIT* Im sorry if im asking a question that was answered above but I am not familiar with a majority of military terms that are being used on this thread. :cry: