PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa

AbSofSteeL
07-14-07, 03:23 PM
Hello all, I was wondering how does one get deployed to Okinawa? Is it a luck of the draw type thing or do you have to fulfill a criteria. Thanks

Zulu 36
07-14-07, 05:01 PM
Basically, luck of the draw. Your MOS has a lot to do with your specific chances to go to Oki. If you spend much time in the Corps, you will see Oki whether you want to or not.

Quinbo
07-14-07, 05:39 PM
Just keep saying to yourself that the last place on earth you want to go is Okinawa, please don't send me to Okinawa etc. It will be the first place you get sent.

Robert Browell
07-14-07, 05:51 PM
:yes: When I joined "The Corps"goin to okinawa was just a stepping stone to"Sunny Southeast Asia"!!:thumbdown The island of anything goes!!I spent a small fortune(comin&goin) on that island:usmc:

Marine84
07-14-07, 05:53 PM
I always thought it was somebody in S1 playing darts with a rotating dart board with names on it. Who knew?

Never went to Oki (except the one night at Kadena on the way to Iwakuni). But, Iwakuni for a year was a VERRRRRRRRY good time!

jetdoc
07-15-07, 08:49 AM
Just keep saying to yourself that the last place on earth you want to go is Okinawa, please don't send me to Okinawa etc. It will be the first place you get sent.

A bit of reverse psychology works well in the Marines, lol. Should've used it to keep me off the USS Midway.

Marine84, I took that route to Iwakuni a couple of times, wished I spent at least a few days on the Island.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-15-07, 09:00 AM
And, the one night in Kadena was when I wasn't there! LOL.

Bein a winger, I spent about 45 days in Kadena back in 85. That was my only time on 'the rock'.

Suggestion: Request "Overseas assignment" from MOS school. You might stand a chance to get it then.

MKinney
07-15-07, 09:25 AM
I requested Okinawa in MOS school and Here I am. Been here going on 6 months now. Stationed at Hansen with 7th "Crime" for about a month before they realised I was suppose to be with Marine Corps Base Butler (AKA camp foster). Applying to get my POV now and taking college courses. It's humid as all hell and a Typhoon just hit us :D

What MOS are you hoping for?

Quinbo
07-15-07, 09:28 AM
Truth is that if you get sent to Oki with an infantry unit you will not want to go back. You won't get to see much of the economy but will see a whole lot of field time. After my first trip over there I never wanted to see that place again and ended up seeing it a total of 4 times. I think the more often I said I hated the place the more likely I was to go back. I have talked to many Marines that were stationed there (vice deployed there) that really liked it. It is after all Japans Hawaii.

Quinbo
07-15-07, 09:32 AM
I requested Okinawa in MOS school and Here I am. Been here going on 6 months now. Stationed at Hansen with 7th "Crime" for about a month before they realised I was suppose to be with Marine Corps Base Butler (AKA camp foster). Applying to get my POV now and taking college courses. It's humid as all hell and a Typhoon just hit us :D

What MOS are you hoping for?

MKinney we have discussed this before. MCB Butler is a base. Camp Foster belongs to it, so does, Hansen, Scwaub etc. Kinda like Pendelton is a base and Meteo, Horno, Margerita etc. belong to it.

jetdoc
07-15-07, 09:49 AM
Bulk, hell brother, Hawaii is Japans Hawaii...lol.

Marine84
07-15-07, 12:25 PM
Yeah abs...............just mouthe it all the time especially when you walk into S1 for any reason "I DO NOT want to go to Oki!".

Wish I had figured that out early in the game - I NEVER got sent anywhere that the guys got to go because I always wanted to and asked to go. My last year in a few of them got orders to go to Yuma, AZ for 20 some odd days for a buildup - Top asked if I wanted to go, I told him "hell no - wasn't no way I wanted to be stuck in the sand, sun and heat for 20 some odd days and besides, there ain't no place to shop!". Couple of days later, I had orders AND I FINALLY earned my Ordnance Wings!

Quinbo
07-15-07, 12:57 PM
There is a training area in Hawaii called PTA. Marines from Oahu are sent there on 30 or 45 day training exercises. I think I would rather train on the moon. When I re-enlisted for barracks duty the first thing I said was good-bye PTA ..... you guessed it. The Marines of Marine Barracks Pearl Harbor were sent over there to train and because I had been there so many times I should know the drill. Ran into my old unit over there and they seriously gave me some grief .... ha ha .... no more PTA for you. I'll take Oki over that hell hole any day.

sparkie
07-16-07, 10:36 AM
Was on Oki When the Japanese took over. All of a sudden one day, all them Jap police came out of the woodwork standing around in the Ville. Sure did tone down the party.,,,,

AbSofSteeL
07-16-07, 01:11 PM
Thanks for all the reverse advice lmao... I wonder if that really works.

JinxJr
07-16-07, 01:30 PM

That's how I ended up there. I hated it so much I had to be dragged to Kadena Air Base kickin' and screamin' because they wouldn't extend me for another tour. Exchange rate was 230 yen to the dollar and I lived like a king and had a job where I only worked about 3 weeks a quarter and wore out two sets of tires on a Matsuri 12 speed bike.

JinxJr
07-16-07, 01:36 PM
I was at Camp Hanson. Comm Instructor for Division Schools, TDY from 7th CommBn. I spent more time doing the USO Tour Guide thing than I spent in the shop. Life was never so good...I was damn lucky to land that job. I even worked at the SNCO Club working the Game Room and Bartending.

chili77bowl
07-16-07, 07:13 PM
dude, first off, WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD YOU WANT TO COME HERE!?

Stay away, stay far away....it's a nice place if you come for say 6 months on UDP, but I've been here for 2 years and have a year left and I (as well as my wife) am going stir crazy.

Marine84
07-16-07, 08:42 PM
dude, first off, WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD YOU WANT TO COME HERE!?

Are you kidding? That place is a single man's paradise especially when you get to go to Korea and the Phillipines every now and then. And all the women they rotate in and out of the country to work the bars? I would find it unbelievable as hell if THAT part has changed in 20 years - maybe it's just because you're married, you aren't in it so you don't see it going on.

chili77bowl
07-16-07, 08:45 PM
That could be it...but I was here, single, in 2001 and it wasn't all that either.
Nice place to visit, and yes, LOTS of water sport things to do...but as far as staying here...there is a reason we call it "The Rock".

Then again, maybe my ideas of fun were always a little off of every OTHER Marine's ideas of fun.