PDA

View Full Version : Back from MEPS...

Salezel
07-11-07, 11:23 PM
I just got back from MEPS last night and I have a question. I went to MEPS to do my physical so i can enter the DEP. I'm not 18 yet and so i needed parental consent. Well my when my parents got divorced we were given a paper saying my mom has sole custody. The MEPS people say the form we have is not valid so my dad still has joint custody.
I havent seen my dad in almost 7 years and I have no way of contacting him. So here is the qestion...

Do any of you know of any way to get around this or do I just have to wait it out until im 18?

Becuase I cant finish processing untill this issue is resolved

Zulu 36
07-12-07, 06:29 AM
Have you discussed this issue with your recruiter yet? If not, that is your first step.

Salezel
07-12-07, 08:13 AM
Yes, I have discussed it with him and he has no idea what to do. The only thing he can come up with is try to find my dad, or I had to wait until im 18. Poole LoganS2k7 told me that the recruiter should have a form i can fill out stating my dad has abandond me, since i havent seen or talked to him in almost 7 years and no one knows were he lives, we dont even get child support becuase DFS cant find him either. So when my recruiter gets back to his office I will ask him about that.

If any oneelse has ideas of what I can do I will be most gratefull.

davblay
07-12-07, 10:55 AM
I Tennessee, we can file what they call an ammendment to the custody of a minor child. If one of the parents fail to respond, then the court orders full costody to the filing parent. It takes time and money, about $1000.00 and about three months, but it eliminates the problem! You might want to ask a local attorney about that in your state, it may work in another way there.

I am assuming that they have joint custody. Even though he is gone, right?

Salezel
07-12-07, 01:47 PM
When my parents were divorced my mom was given a paper by the court stating my father was the non-custodial parent. When i gave that paper to the MEPS people they told me that it was an illegtimate form . Well the court says thats the only paper they have on the custody issue and since MEPS doesnt acknowledge it, MEPS say I have to get my dads signitature but i havent seen him in 7 years and Department of Family Services cant even get ahold of him to make him pay his back child support.

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-12-07, 03:37 PM
Honestly, just wait until you're 18. You won't be leaving until after then anyway, so it doesn't really matter. GO workout with your recruiter, pretend you're a poolee, and just wait until you're old enough to do it without anyone's approval.

Salezel
07-12-07, 04:11 PM
Thank you all for your advice! I called one of my dads old Army buddies and he knew where my Dad was so, I called him and I got him to go to his local recruiter and sing a form that they faxed to my recruiter. So I will be going to MEPS again on Monday, and Hopefully I will come back a Poole this time.

again thank all of you for all your advice and help

rvillac2
07-12-07, 08:27 PM
Outstanding News Salezel.
Outstanding Motivation.
Good Luck.

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-13-07, 12:26 AM
That is great. You looked at a situation you didn't like, came up with a way to resolve the issue, and you overcame the problem. Good job future poolee.