PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready

Lickdem89
07-08-07, 01:37 AM
i want to be sure im the best in bootcamp i workout twice a day doing heavy weights for 5 days a week and do stadiums for at least a mile but thats all for my senior year of football and looking good but what do i need to do to be physically and metally ready for bootcamp i gotta a whole year

USMC90
07-08-07, 01:44 AM
As all the Marines here would and will say. It's not the physical aspect of boot camp that will get you, it's the mental part. I don't think you can really prepare for that IMO. Just pray you're strong enough for that.

jungholee90
07-08-07, 01:47 AM
Thats great, wow that's all for football. Anyways, we're shipping out on same date and also to same MCRD! Well, you should get all the knowledges you can get from this forum and memorize them all. Physically, I think you're doing great. Mentally, I am not really sure how you can prepare for it.. just I guess be ready? haha. Here are links to those knowledges:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49232

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28850

jackson07
07-08-07, 12:06 PM
Just to point out.. lifting all those weights won't do you a whole lot in boot. You need to make sure you can do hundreds of calisthenics. Those are what will make you or break you in boot from the physical aspect.

immaproshooter
07-08-07, 12:19 PM
As all the Marines here would and will say. It's not the physical aspect of boot camp that will get you, it's the mental part. I don't think you can really prepare for that IMO. Just pray you're strong enough for that.

you are right and as was also mentioned endurance is key as for the physical aspect goes....lifting weights wont get you anywhere..... its about 90% mental and 10% physical....as long as you have endurance which you should with football already you will fly through everythign jsut fine...dont stress about it so much:marine:

SnowPaint078
07-08-07, 12:46 PM
Try screaming your lungs out for awhile, The more you lose your voice now the stronger it will be at bootcamp. Thats actually what I'm doing right now. You will lose at bootcamp I am 100% sure, but you probably dont want to stand out being the first one to lose it.

Click Sir, Open Sir, Aye Aye Sir, Yes Sir, Freeze or Die, Marine Corps, Kill, 1-2-3-4-exc...
That should get you started.

SnowPaint078
07-08-07, 12:54 PM
Oh ya & remember Marines move with speed & intensity. When you call off make sure its quick, short, sharp, and loud. In other words dont stress the words.

Zulu 36
07-08-07, 01:04 PM
Well, don't let these guys scare you too much. Lifting weights isn't going to hurt you. However, you need to become skilled at pushups, crunches, pullups, and running (minimum three miles). Learn the PFT requirements and try to exceed those, not just barely making the IST.

Ask the newer Marines which other calisthenics are commonly in use at boot camp these days. Work on those. Running stairs periodically does help your legs and wind, but nothing replaces plain old running distances.

Search this site and discover the postings of basic Marine knowledge. Memorize that knowledge.

If you are in excellent physical condition and have an excellent grasp of basic knowledge, you will be ahead of the game. Thus, less mental stress (mostly self-imposed kind). You can concentrate and worry about learning the new things being thrown at you, including BDR (basic daily routine), drill, rifle maintenance, etc.

You will still have the Tasmanian Devils in Smokey Bear hats on your butt anyway, but you can have the self-confidence that comes with having a bit of a head start. If your football coaches liked to play screaming mind games, you'll also be a touch ahead in that area as well.

You will never be 100% prepared for the DIs and their head games, no matter what you learn here. That you just have to gut out.

jackson07
07-08-07, 02:53 PM
Side Straddle hops, and mountain climbers, Marine Corps pushups, double time in place.

immaproshooter
07-14-07, 08:59 AM
Oh ya & remember Marines move with speed & intensity. When you call off make sure its quick, short, sharp, and loud. In other words dont stress the words.

get it right Speed, Volume & Intensity....lol......but you are right dont stress words or drag them out they'll ***** at you to quit singing to them and never wisper even if y ou lost your voice cause they'll think you are being sweet to them and want to ...well..i hoip eyou get the idea ill leave the last part of that outa the forum......