PDA

View Full Version : How to respond

Future93
07-07-07, 05:17 PM
I have talked to many many Marines and I;ve told them that I want to be a Marine. We talk for a long time and when we are done talking, a lot of them say "Semper Fi" to me. Since I'm not a Marine I don't know what to say back...if anything. I don't even know if they should be saying it to me since it is a Marine thing. Can someone tell me what to do next time it happens?
Thanks

COUNTRYBOY92
07-07-07, 05:31 PM
They dont expect you to respond. I never do.

SgtHopperUSMC
07-07-07, 05:59 PM
I have talked to many many Marines and I;ve told them that I want to be a Marine. We talk for a long time and when we are done talking, a lot of them say "Semper Fi" to me. Since I'm not a Marine I don't know what to say back...if anything. I don't even know if they should be saying it to me since it is a Marine thing. Can someone tell me what to do next time it happens?
Thanks <TABLE class="" style="MARGIN-TOP: 10px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=table-left><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> oAnswers.blockUserEnabled = true; </SCRIPT>

</TD><TD class=bg-icon-answer>

The correct Military Jargon for that is "Semper Fi" which is Short for Semper Fidelis which is Latin for "Always Faithful". Semper Fi is the USMC Motto. it is used to modivate marines to get the job done to full excellence to be commited to the purpose and never leave the purpose unresolved.In that one word Marines can say Hello, how are you, Hoorah brother, and godspeed.My Brother is a Marine. Hoorah is like a super modivational word. Inspires the heart and soul of a marine to strive for excellence. Sometimes when you see a marine begin to get irratated with the task at hand he will shout a big HOOORAH!!!! and strive for perfection at that task. (quoted from a web page)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If I was to say to you "Semper Fi" I guess in your case I would be telling you to keep on working hard if you truly want to be a Marine. Or more likely that I am still keeping the faith in what I did or am doing. You do not have to respond to it at all. It is a closing statement. So "Semper Fi" ...:flag:

kbs95125
07-07-07, 06:57 PM
The couple of times I've been in your situation I have responded with "Motivated, Dedicated" to be polite and if the Marines are swearing up a storm (I had a few extremely drunk and entertaining Marines stop me outside of a bar once. 10 minutes I'll never forget haha) I usually just say that I'm F'ing motivated.

Never got a negative reaction from either.

Accord
07-09-07, 10:53 AM
Civilians say Semper Fi to me all the time and i'll gladly shake their hand and give them a grunt or a Semper Fi right back at them. Nothing wrong with that as far as i'm concerned, i'd rather have civilians saying "Semper Fi, thanks for your service" as opposed to being called a baby killer or some other BS like that.

However, being that you're a poolee I wouldn't go up to a Marine and say Semper Fi, but if a Marine says Semper Fi to you then you should have no shame at all in saying Semper Fi right back.

kbs95125
07-09-07, 11:40 AM
I definitely wouldn't say I would feel ashamed at saying Semper Fi to a Marine, but more or less disrespectful considering they, such as yourself, have earned it.

By the way Accord, the quote you have is amazing. I laugh everytime I read it. Was that your own or did you find that someplace else?

Kildars
07-09-07, 03:16 PM
<TABLE class="" style="MARGIN-TOP: 10px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=table-left><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> oAnswers.blockUserEnabled = true; </SCRIPT>

</TD><TD class=bg-icon-answer>The correct Military Jargon for that is "Semper Fi" which is Short for Semper Fidelis which is Latin for "Always Faithful". Semper Fi is the USMC Motto. it is used to modivate marines to get the job done to full excellence to be commited to the purpose and never leave the purpose unresolved.In that one word Marines can say Hello, how are you, Hoorah brother, and godspeed.My Brother is a Marine. Hoorah is like a super modivational word. Inspires the heart and soul of a marine to strive for excellence. Sometimes when you see a marine begin to get irratated with the task at hand he will shout a big HOOORAH!!!! and strive for perfection at that task. (quoted from a web page)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If I was to say to you "Semper Fi" I guess in your case I would be telling you to keep on working hard if you truly want to be a Marine. Or more likely that I am still keeping the faith in what I did or am doing. You do not have to respond to it at all. It is a closing statement. So "Semper Fi" ...:flag:

I don't mean any disrespect -- The Marine Corps says Oorah, not Hoorah. I think Hoorah or Hooah is army?