PDA

View Full Version : Greetings From DC

bgsuwoody
07-07-07, 02:08 AM
Greetings from the Nation's Capital

Just had a great day in DC. Let me give you the details. After a long night of fun we decided to skip the Marine Corps Museum and hold of until tomorrow. Instead we went out to 8th & I and decided to try and see the Evening Parade. Well all of you know how hard I have been trying to get tickets and was unable to. Well, we got there at 5:00 (2 hours before entrance and 4 hours before the show). We met a WWII veteran and his wife who had been trying to get tickets for 3 months and they couldn't. They told us we would get in for sure, but it would be a long wait. About 30 minutes before entrance we were told that we were standing in the wrong place and we had to move. This put us from the first four people there to like 50th in line. It sucked. Well in the spirit of the Marine Corps a lady saw that this happened to us and gave us and the Marine and his wife all tickets. You should have seen the grin on my face. It was the greatest thing that happened to me. We got seats...pretty good ones...and were in well before the people that were waiting around us (Some had to sit on the concrete).

Oh my god though, I don't know how to explain this event to you. There is a bunch of bleachers around the parade field surrounded by the Barracks and the Commandants House. It's an amazing scenery. The Marine Corps Band and the Drum and Bugle Corps was amazing. The Silent Drill Platoon was the most awe-inspiring thing I had ever seen. Taps being played from the roof of the Barracks and just all the pomp and showmanship of the event was amazing. Not to mention the pass and review went on right in front of us...soooo cool. I met many awesome Marines and the spirit of generations of Marines was awesome. Just being around there with so many Marines and 8th and I Marines wanting to know you and being so friendly was amazing. This is probably one of the greatest things I have gotten to do in my entire life. Especially on the 50th anniversary of the event itself. I have so many pictures and I will be getting them up on here as soon as I possibly can. Maybe tomorrow after I give you installment two of the series...The Marine Corps Museum.

I recommend this event to everyone. GO GO GO. Get tickets for next summer and get out there you will not be dissapointed. It's about an hour and a half and its just so cool to see. As you can see I am really giddy about this now and well damnit I deserve to be. I hope everyone is doing well and if you have any questions about the Parade I can try to answer it for you. I will continue to have fun in my travels tomorrow and get some pics up asap.

--Woodall

jungholee90
07-07-07, 02:15 AM
Man, that's awesome! I wish I could've seen those stuff actually on sight, I've only seen some stuff on youtube and that was it. It sounds like lots of fun, I can't wait til I see the pictures!

Kurby494
07-07-07, 08:07 AM
Lucky SOB!!!;)

jetdoc
07-07-07, 08:37 AM
Mike, as we live outside DC we have seen a few of the evening parades. Its been quite a few years since we've been to one, but as you know, its well worth taking the time to see one.

http://www.mbw.usmc.mil/

devildoghopeful
07-07-07, 08:44 AM
I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL AUGUST 3rd! Seriously, it's killing me inside - I've already seen it but hell, I still feel like a 4 year old waiting for Christmas!

SnowPaint078
07-07-07, 10:02 AM
Ya you are lucky, make sure you get TONS & TONS of pic's of the USMC Museum.

Marine84
07-07-07, 10:10 AM
See Woody..................did I tell you it was going to be awesome or what?

That's cool as hell that you got in like that - just imagine what people will do for you when you're one of us. You guys had the best seats in the house too! Did it give you a little "woody" when you saw all that blue and white come out from around both corners of that building?

I am so glad for you that you got to see it - glad you had a good time.

bgsuwoody
07-08-07, 02:03 AM
Well today was another great day. The Marine Corps Museum, for the second time, was just as awesome as the first time I went. Had a beer in Tun Tavern and soaked in all of the immersions! I took plenty of pictures and if I make it in time for poolee chat tomorrow I will be putting them up. The place is amazing if you have never been there. Then went to the Nationals/Brewers baseball game (probably my last before bootcamp...less than a month now) and it was fun. Saw many of the memorials and headed home. Another great time in DC. You can't help but love this country when you come here. If you have never been I really feel bad for you because this is like my millionth trip and I still cannot get enough. Well, I will make a lot of posts tomorrow as I see some things I can cover :). However, got a long drive tomorrow so see you all at poolee chat probably!