PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Advice

RNelson
07-06-07, 03:55 PM
I am scheduald to leave for boot camp on July 23, but if I leave that day than my mom can not come out for my graduation. She wants me to postpone my shipdate, but I really want to get going with my life asap. Right now I'm torn between just going or trying to postpone when I'm leaving. Do you guys think it's more important to wait and risk my mom not be there for my graduation, or should I try to postpone and risk being extended all the way to an October or November boot camp?

SGTBrentG
07-06-07, 04:02 PM
Lots of graduates don't have their parents at their graduation. Is it your expectation that the Marine Corps takes in to account your mothers availability when considering your future assignments? You made a commitment. Now...either you want to be a Marine or you don't. Moms availability has nothing to do with it. So you tell us...do you go or do you not go????

Future93
07-06-07, 04:03 PM
I'm not a Marine or a poolee but I think you should go ASAP. You could try to see if your mom can reschedule whatever she has to do that is stopping her from going to your graduation. I mean what can be more important than your son becoming a Marine?

TrevelyanInc
07-06-07, 04:15 PM
My parents can't make it anyways, my mom will be overseas, my stepdad's at the fire department, and my dad doesn't talk to me. I'd ship tomorrow if I could IST again. Any questions?

PHILLYBOI
07-06-07, 04:23 PM
Believe me!! your mom is not going to miss that graduation, if she does she will definitely have a guilt trip. I think you should go because if she really really cares she will be on that first plane to PI or SD for that graduation.

RNelson
07-06-07, 04:32 PM
I really want to leave, but my mom is pulling the, "well they are the ones telling us it's so important to be there besides I believe my daughters graduation is somthing that I should not miss." I have tried to explain to her Sgt. Brent's point, but shes being pretty shelfish about it. I am planning on leaving as scheduald, and I told her that if she can't make it, I would take the first flight back home.

davblay
07-06-07, 04:52 PM
You go girl! Your MOM will understand, one day, the importance of your decision! If you could put off your future on a whim, then you would every time! The Corps is all Volunteer, but you made a commitment to them and they expect you to ante up on your end of the deal! It's not as simple as just saying, "OK we'll reschedule you", there's a lot of time and paperwork involved. I have no idea what kind of reason your mom has, but ask her to consider how difficult it waould be for her to reschedule, If it can't be done, then buy a ticket for the first flight out of South Carolina after graduation. As posted above, there a lot of Marines that graduate without having family there! It dosen't make you less of a Marine! I had no one there when I graduated in 1969.

SgtHMH
07-06-07, 05:08 PM
Well this is up to you to decide. But in the end you will be in a uniform that people will see you in forever. So does one day matter or is forever better ?

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

Semper Fi

Tyson
07-06-07, 08:18 PM
i'm going to put it too you the way a good friend of mine once told me who is trying to be a marine here you or your mother all the graduation foofoo stuff is just for show it doesn't make you a marine you make yourself, the best advice i can give you is get use to you family not being there for things,i spent last thanksgiving, christmas, and new years at mcrd sd and now this thanksgiving, christmas, and new years i will be and iraq, so its just something you have to make yourself hard to.... take it from me i miss out on my daughter growing up and my family

Covey_Rider
07-06-07, 08:56 PM
MY parents didn't go to my graduation and it wasn't any big deal. Invite somebody besides your parents...My girlfriend came out to see me and that's all that I needed. Your mom will have plenty of time to see you wear the uniform. Needs of the Corps are the needs of the Corps, they want you and expect you to ship on a certain date...so do it. Think of this as a life long lesson because it WILL NOT be the first time that you'll have to give something up because of the Corps.

Marine84
07-06-07, 10:46 PM
all the graduation foofoo stuff is just for show

And you will not believe what a show it is! It's soooooooooo much different seeing one from the bleachers! When you're out on that parade deck, you're not so "in tuned" to what's going on or has gone on while you've been standing there - I didn't...............believe it or not I didn't pay any attention to the other 3 freakin' BATTALIONS (the guys) that were out there with the 2 platoons (us girls) that made up 14 Series. I was 2nd squad but so far down the line I couldn't see any of the ceremony going on....................and besides I was practicing that million mile stare thinking about firing up that first cigarette and what I was going to do when I got home.

When you see it from the stands, it's a TOTALLY different thing. I saw my first one a couple of years ago and hell I cried for 100 and some odd kids that weren't even MINE..........................but they were ALL my Brothers and Sisters that day. I think it's awesome on the guys end - when they're told to fall out and you hear ALL of them yell "FALL OUT AYE AYE SIR" and do that about face - their girlfriends/wives/flavors of the week/Moms bust out SCREAMING like they're at a Justin Timberlake concert and running for the deck. Down on the girls end, they run directly to Dads! It's AWESOME!

Sorry for the rant but..................even though your Mom won't be there, you'll have MORE than enough people in the stands that will be proud for you! Go ahead and go................

RNelson
07-06-07, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the support and advise. I told my mom that I am planning on leaving as sceduald, but now she wants to go in and talk to Ssgt. about why they won't accomidate a date change, I think it's partly shes having a hard time letting me go and "grow up". The hardest thing right now is shes being really moody about me leaving and I think it's mostly disappointment that she won't be able to be there.

jetdoc
07-06-07, 11:13 PM
Rebekah, thats a tough one. I went through Jun/Jul/Aug and it was hot but I hate the cold and I hear it gets pretty cold in PI during the winter. Is it totally impossible for moms to rearange her schedule to come out for your graduation?

davblay
07-06-07, 11:20 PM
Fellow Marines, we seem to be overlooking the fact that Mom signed for her to enlist! ;)

RNelson
07-06-07, 11:20 PM
Rebekah, thats a tough one. I went through Jun/Jul/Aug and it was hot but I hate the cold and I hear it gets pretty cold in PI during the winter. Is it totally impossible for moms to rearange her schedule to come out for your graduation?

Pretty much she's a christian pre-school directer and the asst director already has that week off for business purposes, so the pastors there have said that they bolth can't be gone at the same time, and my mom as the "leader" has decided that if the asst. is not there to run things in my moms absence than she can't leave.(and shes arguing to me that the Marines are being unfair.Add in sarcastic teenage eye-roll) I'm glad that she wants to be there and be supportive.I know many of my fellow poolees are not that lucky, but I am really ready to get going with my life, so I hope she can attempt to work somthing out.

jetdoc
07-07-07, 07:46 AM
Pretty much she's a christian pre-school directer and the asst director already has that week off for business purposes, so the pastors there have said that they bolth can't be gone at the same time, and my mom as the "leader" has decided that if the asst. is not there to run things in my moms absence than she can't leave.(and shes arguing to me that the Marines are being unfair.Add in sarcastic teenage eye-roll) I'm glad that she wants to be there and be supportive.I know many of my fellow poolees are not that lucky, but I am really ready to get going with my life, so I hope she can attempt to work somthing out.

Moms is just being Moms and she can't see the situation from the Marine Corps perspective. You guys are in Cali, right? I know what I would do to see my daughters/sons USMC graduation. It would be one of two things since they won't make an exception for this special event.

Where I work we can do shift/day trades, can she get another person to fill in for her for the last few days of that week, like either thur/fri, or wed/thur/fri? I'd either do the shift trade deal OR:

I would, cough, cough, be calling in sick on thur/fri cough, cough. I'd fly out either wed night after work, or thursday, have my hotel reserved already of course. Watch my daughters graduation on friday, and fly back friday night, with my Marine daughter. I don't make it a habit to fake call in sick but for this I'd make an exception. Her supervisor will know she isn't really sick but oh well, they will have to get over it, IMO.

Its a once in a life time event and I would not miss it because of the vacation schedule being full up.

My 2cents, good luck.

Tyson
07-07-07, 10:24 AM
true cpl i understand that her mom signed for her but still this is a marine corp you know that. but i agree with sgt. also she will find away to make it if she really wants to see you graduate.

Marine84
07-07-07, 10:29 AM

No disrespect to you OR Mom but,..................................are you Fking kidding me? You must be, right? PLEASE tell me you're kidding!

Mom is REALLY going to have a hard time when you DO go - what if you get sent to Iraq or whomever we're dealing with at the time? If it doesn't coincide with the church's schedule then, there won't be a damned thing she can say about it to get you "rescheduled".

On the other hand, Dave has a point. If she had to sign for you, there's not much you can do because she can pull that signature and MAKE you have to wait til you're 18 so you can do it on your own.

Good luck honey and, if you need ANY help at all, all you got to do is yell. I've had to talk to a bunch of Moms, one more is no problem - I'm happy to do it because I can help future Sisters.

WalkingMan
07-07-07, 10:32 AM
I am scheduald to leave for boot camp on July 23, but if I leave that day than my mom can not come out for my graduation. She wants me to postpone my shipdate, but I really want to get going with my life asap. Right now I'm torn between just going or trying to postpone when I'm leaving. Do you guys think it's more important to wait and risk my mom not be there for my graduation, or should I try to postpone and risk being extended all the way to an October or November boot camp?

It depends... did the Marine Corps issue you your Mom, or is she Civilian Issue? :)

Your soul may belong to Jesus, and your heart may belong to Rosie Rottencrotch, but your ass belongs to the Corps.

immaproshooter
07-07-07, 11:43 AM
im not gonna lie i skimmed through the post and didnt read everythign that was covered so if this was covered already ...sorry....but dont forget you always have the opportunity to by dvd or vhs of your graduation and all incase your mother cannot make it then youll have it on video itll be liek she was there.....

RNelson
07-07-07, 05:10 PM
Thanks again so much for the advise. I've just decided that I'm leaving as scheduald no matter what. Also as for my mom pulling her signature, my birhtday is tomorrow and he signature won't matter because I will be 18. She still wants to talk to my recruiter, but hopefully shell understand what I've been trying to tell her after talking to him. Thank you so much once again for all the advise it has been very helpful in making this decision.

Marine84
07-07-07, 07:38 PM
Also as for my mom pulling her signature, my birhtday is tomorrow and he signature won't matter because I will be 18.

Happy Birthday! Good luck when you get to the Island.

RNelson
07-07-07, 08:19 PM
Thank you!

immaproshooter
07-08-07, 12:11 PM
lol enjoy those sand fleas......i almost miss them........ya ok maybe not....lol...

RNelson
07-08-07, 11:39 PM
WEll I just found out this afternoon that I am leaving tomorrow on the 9th so I guess my problem was solved for me. Once again thank you all very much for the help and support!