PDA

View Full Version : Question About Dealing With Family Members

PHILLYBOI
07-05-07, 01:59 PM
After my mom signed for me to enlist everyone in my family has been giving me the 3rd degree about joining the Marine Corps. For example they would say stuff life the Marine Corps is racist, and the war is about oil, or the war is about one mans greed, and you might get killed etc, and the answers that I give them is never enough, I tell them that I want the pride of belonging to the Marine Corps and serve my country but I guess as an african american thats not good enough, they think that going for free money for college is a better reason.So how could I give them all a satisfying answer so they'd get off my back?

GUNNY MAX
07-05-07, 03:42 PM
Have any of these family members earned the title of Marine? Regardless, have your Recruiter talk with them. You are on the right path. Stay motivated, and take advice from those that will encourage you.

GySgtRet
07-05-07, 03:43 PM
Thank you for making the Marine Corps your choice. Marines do not set the policy of the US Governement we inforce the policy. If the Marine Coprs is racist I never saw it in the 20 years that I served my Country and my Corps. Don't get me wrong there are things in life that aren't fair and the Marine Corps is one that is not a democracy. Everybody male, female, black, white, you name are trated equally. Did any of the members of your family ever serve in the armed forces? Just curious. The way it works is the policy nakers in D.C. and your dtate get together and deceide on how to handle the crisis such as 9/11. Then you as a Marine carry out your orders. Whether it is about oil or chocolate you carry out the policy it doesn't matter what it is about you just carry out your orders.

By the way Welcome to Leatherneck.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-05-07, 10:23 PM
Well said, Gunny! <br />
<br />
I can't add much, except the fact that of all the services, the Marine Corps is probably the least racist you will find. We don't give a rip what color you are or who you WERE...

PHILLYBOI
07-06-07, 11:27 AM
Thanks you guys for your help, and your right coming up in philly was rough enough and i actually have a plan for my life, and not selling drugs in north philly, it kind of hurts a little to not have your family behind you.

killerinstinct
07-06-07, 01:28 PM
After my mom signed for me to enlist everyone in my family has been giving me the 3rd degree about joining the Marine Corps. For example they would say stuff life the Marine Corps is racist, and the war is about oil, or the war is about one mans greed, and you might get killed etc, and the answers that I give them is never enough, I tell them that I want the pride of belonging to the Marine Corps and serve my country but I guess as an african american thats not good enough, they think that going for free money for college is a better reason.So how could I give them all a satisfying answer so they'd get off my back?\

well just look at their cars and say if this war is about oil would you rather withdrawl and pay 10 dollars a gallon for gas?

The Marine Corps is probalby one of the least rascist branches there are a lot of dark green Marines and you'll see there might be jokes about race but its all out of play cuz in the end we all brothers. Now in the army and air force they just ghetto and nasty undisciplined ****s.

My best bet is to say it's your decision and they dont have to walk in the footsteps of your life. :beer:

davblay
07-06-07, 05:10 PM
For 232 years the Corps has had one color---GREEN! We do not discriminate, we treat all Marines the same! As far as answering your family questions, just use a lot of Uh-ha's and maybe's and I'll ask about that's. The Corps has trained people like you and me all these years and they seem to know what they are doing! Thank you for chosing My Corps and I know you will be an asset to our ranks!

jetdoc
07-06-07, 10:16 PM
Lots of good points made here for you Phillyboi. Your relatives are just trying to look out for you if you think about it. They know kids are dying in Iraq and they don't want their boi to get wasted over there.

I prefer to not say what my opinion is on Iraq, but I support our troops 110%, no questions asked. Some folks lose sight that we all need to support our troops no matter what.

I would respect my families opinions but tell them to respect your decision as well. Your mind is made up and you want to be a Marine, subject closed, and you really need their support. If they still won't give you their support then you will have to rely on yourself and your NEW family, the Marines. Your recruiter should help and do you have any poolies up in Philly town?

I can say that the Marines are not racists and your family is just saying that to get your to change your mind. I'm not saying their are not racists in the Marines, because there are, just like in society at large. Racism is not tolerated by the Corps however. When you come across racism you just deal with it, as I'm sure you have your whole life from time to time.

Believe me, racism will be the least of your problems Philly...just concentrate on the task at hand and you will be fine.

BTW, seems like you have a long time till your ship date?

Marine84
07-06-07, 10:56 PM
Racism? What the hell is THAT?

LeonardLawrence
07-07-07, 11:26 PM
A possible answer for the loved ones....

"I am proud to be able to serve in a democracy where people are allowed to say anything you want.... no matter how ignorant"

:devious: . (smile and walk away!)