thedrifter
07-05-07, 07:06 AM
INDEPENDENCE DAY 2007
FOR THE TROOPS
Picnic in Lawnton raises $1,500 for gifts
Thursday, July 05, 2007
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

In 1947, Ed McKitrick of Lawnton joined the Army to serve his country. He ended up going to war.

Fifty-seven years later, his grandson Scott Snyder of Lower Paxton Twp. joined the Marines. A year later, he, too, was fighting in a war.

As many celebrated Independence Day yesterday, the Rolling Ridge II development in Lawnton honored veterans during a "Support Our Troops" community picnic featuring patriotic songs, games and food. The event, attended by about 200 people, raised $1,500 for backpacks full of gifts for those serving overseas.

"Years ago, the neighbors in our development used to have community picnics, but we got away from it," said Pat Cleary of the community association picnic committee. "A couple months ago, we talked about how nice it would be to have a community picnic so we could get to know each other again. We also wanted to support our troops."

During the picnic planning, neighbors discovered their community had about 50 veterans and 12 people serving in the military.

Julie Schiefer, an organizer, said this inspired them to pattern their efforts after the USO Soldiers Angels Foundation and Wounded Warriors Project. Working with American Legion Post 998, they decided to use the picnic to raise money for the troops, to sew or knit blankets for the wounded and to get toiletries, phone cards, playing cards, CD players and clothes for backpacks.

The neighbors, many wearing red, white and blue clothing, gathered under cloudy skies on Arney Road yesterday. They started the picnic by pledging allegiance to the flag, praying and singing the national anthem.

Swatara Twp. commissioner Tony Spagnolo, a Navy veteran of World War II and the Korean War, said "we're here to honor and support our troops whether we support this war or not. Besides raising funds, we're writing letters to the troops. I remember that mail call days were good when you got mail from home. It boosts the morale."

McKitrick, attending the picnic with his wife, Phyllis, said Independence Day means freedom and democracy. "I was in the Army from 1947 until 1970," he said as hamburgers sizzled on a grill, a bird sang and flags and yellow ribbons fluttered. "I fought in the Korean and Vietnam wars."

His grandson Marine Lance Cpl. Scott Snyder served in Iraq for seven months and now is stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C. "I told my grandson to follow orders and stay safe," McKitrick said. "He's done that. We're very proud of him."

Several people wrote letters to the troops.

Sue Zaccano's letter "thanked them for making this world a better place."

Lisarose Kress and two of her three sons, Devin, 7, and Daniel, 4, also made cards. "Thank you for your service, for making us proud and reminding us of how wonderful it is to be free," Lisarose Kress wrote.

Around her, the crowd enjoyed grilled hot dogs, hamburgers and other treats. Children made chalk drawings on the street and visited McGruff the Crime Dog, Swatara Twp. police and Lawnton firefighters.

"A lot of good will is coming out of this picnic," Spagnolo said. "It's a fun day but has a serious side, too."

MARY KLAUS: 255-8113 or mklaus@patriot-news.com

Ellie