View Full Version : Local military wife lending helping hand

thedrifter
07-04-07, 05:15 AM
Local military wife lending helping hand
By Brian Falla/Daily News staff
GHS
Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:43 PM EDT

NORWOOD -

Norwood native Laura Whelan-Bratsis is the first to admit she has trouble with the fact that her husband, Vasilios, is serving in the Marines overseas.

But when she got a chance to help his unit supply new schools in Africa, she jumped at the chance.

A special education teacher who spent three years at Norwood's Junior High South and now teaches at Medway Middle School, Bratsis spent the final few days of school this year walking through the halls and collecting school supplies from students.

With the help of Norwood Veterans Services Director Ted Mulvehill and the Family Support Group, she was able to ship out five boxes of items to her husband's unit, which recently helped build new schools in the area around their base.

Bratsis said due to security reasons, she cannot divulge her husband's location, but said it was in "the Horn of Africa."

She said her husband's unit began their humanitarian project this spring, and he asked her if she could help find some supplies.

"I've seen pictures of where he is and it's worse than anything you see on those Christian Children's Fund ads," said Bratsis, a Norwood High graduate who grew up on Hillside Drive and attended the Balch Elementary School.

She said the entire unit is making similar donations to the cause.

"It's not just me," she said.

Although Bratsis said she's had a difficult time coping since Vasilios left this winter, she said being able to assist his unit in the school project helped.

"I felt like I was helping him, and I felt like I was a part of what he was doing, which was nice," said Bratsis, who married Vasilios in December. "I didn't feel so helpless."

Bratsis said she grabbed everything she could: partially used notebooks, pencils and pens, and three-ring binders.

"At the end of the school years, everyone just wants to throw these things away, but (African kids) have nothing, so anything you give to them is greatly appreciated," said Bratsis.

Bratsis said she was thrilled when Mulvehill told her of the Family Support Group's fundraising efforts, which paid for the cost of shipping the supplies overseas.

"I would have paid myself, if I had to, but it was going to be a couple hundred dollars, so it was a huge help," said Bratsis.

Bratsis also credited the Family Support Group with helping her cope without her husband.

"Until you've been through something like this, you just can't understand what it's like," said Bratsis, who's spent a total of two weeks with her husband since their December marriage.

But being around people who are experiencing similar situations has helped.

Mulvehill said that's the whole idea behind the support group, which he helped organize and launch shortly after the war began. "It's really a great group of people, and they all share that common thing," said Mulvehill.

Mulvehill said the American Legion and others have raised more than $2,000 for the family support group that helps purchase phone cards and other supplies and well as to help pay for shipping.

"People have been very generous," said Mulvehill.

Daily News staff writer Brian Falla can be reached at 781-433-8339 or at bfalla@cnc.com

Ellie