PDA

View Full Version : Young Marines?

rickfjr74
07-03-07, 07:10 PM
I am going into the Young Marines(real Marines later in life) and am going to boot camp in August......As with the real Marines I am preparing for it as well...(killing 2 birds with 1 stone if you will) and I am wondering whether anybody was/is in the Young Marines and if they can tell me how hard boot camp was...example: is it close in toughness to the REAL Marine boot camp...are the Drill Instructors as tough as real Marine drill instructors ect...:evilgrin: thanks

Christ0ph
07-03-07, 08:23 PM
ROFL

Trust me, it's no where as close as the real deal. I did the Young Marines thing as a kid and it pales in comparison. All the little things that make a Marine a Marine are absent in the Young Marines because you can't throw these kids around like Recruits. I saw a large group of Young Marines at the San Diego USO last saturday. They looked just as disgusting as any other civilian on the street to me. Long hair, heinous seabags, no distinction of uniformity..etc..

It's a great program and a helluva lot better then the Boy Scouts but it's far off. Study your military knowledge as much as possible and PT just as much in the Young Marines.

jinelson
07-03-07, 08:49 PM
Go for it rickfjr74 I respect the YM's they are just where everyone needs to start. You are a step a head of those who cant or wont join the Young Marines.

Jim

davblay
07-03-07, 08:57 PM
Go for it rickfjr74 I respect the YM's they are just where everyone needs to start. You are a step a head of those who cant or wont join the Young Marines.

Jim

I guess thats why the Corps will contract you in as a PFC with YM service---huh? Good to go, DEVIL PUP!

fade2black
07-05-07, 12:57 PM
I am the XO of our YM unit and I can tell you now, if you see nasty looking YM it is a direct representation of their staff, not the kids. Leadership by example right? They are going to look like their adult leaders.....I rest my case. :)

I am also the drill instructor of all incoming nasty civilian kids and it isn't anywhere close to Marine Corps boot camp....and it isn't supposed to be. I am not making Marines, I am making Young Marines. BIG difference. Remember these are still kids, not adults. You have to achieve the rank of at least YM Sgt to get meritorious PFC in USMC boot camp. I just had one of my kids graduate about a month ago from PI and he was a PFC due to his 4 years in the YM program. Good kid and a now a fine new Marine!

Good luck to you, it's a great program and you'll have a good time. If you have any more questions about the program, feel free to ask me.