PDA

View Full Version : While troops swoop away on holiday 96

thedrifter
07-03-07, 05:15 AM
While troops swoop away on holiday 96

CHRISSY VICK
July 3, 2007 - 12:00AM
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Lance Cpl. Nick Stebbins set foot on the sands of Onslow Beach just three days before Independence Day.

That's something the reservist said is a blessing, as his family drove down from Michigan to welcome him home after a six-month deployment with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

Now, he, his mother and two brothers have four days to spend together and celebrate one of the nation's favorite holidays.

"We're taking a road trip to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, to spend time together, relax and watch the fireworks," Stebbins said while shopping at Camp Lejeune. "It's good to be home."

More than 2,000 Marines returned to Jacksonville with the 26th MEU - some who are traveling this week to see family, but many who are staying in the area.

Some cited traffic, gas prices and distance as reasons they're celebrating the Fourth of July in Onslow County. Most Camp Lejeune troops were given a half-day at work Monday and don't have to be back at work until Friday morning.

Marines and sailors at Camp Lejeune are allowed to travel no more than 600 miles for the four-day leave time, or "96," according to Camp Lejeune spokesman Cpl. Shane Suzuki.

"It can vary within each command, but the base rule is 600 miles," he said.

This week, some said they were taking advantage of that, while others said the time and distance allowed just weren't enough to make it home without taking extra leave.

One of those is Cmdr. Karla Iyonmahan of 2nd Dental Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group. The Colorado native has to work duty on Wednesday, but wasn't planning to go home because of the distance.

"By the time you got out there, you'd have to turn around and come back anyway," she said. "But I'm on call, and I have to be here if they need me."

Iyonmahan normally celebrates Independence Day with her friends, family and neighbors at a cookout.

"We pray and thank God for allowing us to live in this country, to be a part of this nation," she said.

First Sgt. Darius Crane said he enjoys the day spending time with family. Because the family just moved into a new home in Wilmington, they are happy to spend their week at Wrightsville Beach.

"I'm taking surfing lessons with my kids," Crane said. "We'll see fireworks and have a barbecue, too."

Pfc. Jason O'Brien of Ohio plans to watch the fireworks too, but not from home.

"I'm trying to save money, and I don't have a car so I'd have to fly home," he said. "A bunch of my friends from Ohio are traveling home, though."

Lance Cpl. Randy Little of California can't make the long trip home in just four days but still wanted to travel this week. He plans take his wife to Washington for the Spirit of Washington cruise on the Fourth of July. It's their first wedding anniversary, and he hopes to make it a special one.

"It's a three-hour cruise with VIP seats and fireworks," he said. "We are very excited. It's a great way to spend the Fourth of July."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 8466.

Ellie