PDA

View Full Version : One Month...

bgsuwoody
07-02-07, 10:08 PM
Well its getting much closer and I only have about 1 month left before I leave. I know I've been here and made my comments and done my thing, but now I have a question.

First I wanted to know where my focus should be in this last month? More specifically what should I be focusing on mentally and physically? I've been trying to get prepared as much as possible, but anything specific for this last month would be great?

Also I was wondering at what point should I stop my workout routine before I leave? Should I stop a few weeks before or go until the last day? Anything you have would help.

davblay
07-02-07, 10:14 PM
Woody, live your life as you are now! Don't change your lifestyle either way! Continue to March and Carry on my friend! :thumbup:

Cash2053
07-02-07, 10:19 PM
Continue your workout for about another week. Do some lite pt for week 2 and 3. Just relax the last week, and mentally prepare yourself. You are not going to gain much the last few weeks anyway so just mentally prepare yourself. Good Luck.

Christ0ph
07-02-07, 11:19 PM
practice screaming and actually try and lose your voice a couple times before you go, seriously. You get picked on SOOOO much less by the DI's if you can sound off like a motherffer!

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-02-07, 11:22 PM
Focus on spending time with friends and family. Keep working out, but don't kill yourself. Once you get to boot camp you'll have a couple of days with no PT, so you don't need to worry about tapering off too much. If you want, stop a week or so before you leave. If you want to run the day before- do that.

TrevelyanInc
07-03-07, 01:35 PM
The freshest recruiter's assistant in our office said four days rest beforehand is probably good. But then again, a lot of people get wound up right before they go, so don't kill yourself if you really, really have to go out and run.

And uh, don't get hurt at Wal*Mart. Been there, done that :D

Marine84
07-03-07, 07:20 PM
tick................tick......................tick (evil laugh)

bgsuwoody
07-03-07, 07:24 PM
I saw that coming...yup the ticks will only get quicker( I got about what 15 dots between them now :) )...1 week of DC vacation, 2 more weeks at work, then the biggest parties of my life, then a new adventure. I only expect it to fly! You guys probably wont see me for a few days, but I will take a ****ton of pictures of DC and of the 8th & I evening parade hopefully and the Marine Corps Museum...

usmc2007
07-03-07, 08:11 PM
Well its getting much closer and I only have about 1 month left before I leave. I know I've been here and made my comments and done my thing, but now I have a question.

First I wanted to know where my focus should be in this last month? More specifically what should I be focusing on mentally and physically? I've been trying to get prepared as much as possible, but anything specific for this last month would be great?

Also I was wondering at what point should I stop my workout routine before I leave? Should I stop a few weeks before or go until the last day? Anything you have would help.

yep, me too....hope we get the same platoon....that would be cool.

ianmusto
07-03-07, 09:08 PM
Me and a buddy will also be down there....so were all going down with mohawks right?

immaproshooter
07-03-07, 09:13 PM
just remember this... if you can run the mile n ahalf in plenty of time and do enough pullups and crunches dont over do yourself for htis last month...enjoy it while it lasts...you will have 13....sorry...12 weeks now of boot then 10 days at home....then either 8 weeks of ITB if you are lucky enough to be an Infantry Man or 21 days of MCT if you are unfortunate enough to be anything else...lol... all of which you will do plenty of physcial stuff.....you jsut need to make sure you are in shape enough for that first IST at boot you will do that the sat you are there.....and after that no matter how great you are they will break your butt down and build you up they enjoy brekain people down...i personally went in adn failed the IST and i was able to come out doing pretty good

davblay
07-03-07, 11:40 PM
Me and a buddy will also be down there....so were all going down with mohawks right?

Yeah----you do that----the DIs love a smart azz recruit! It's a good thing they all have a good sense of humor and all! I am sure they will share a good laugh-------R----I-----G----H-----T!!!!

Accord
07-03-07, 11:52 PM

You want my advice? Forget about the Marine Corps for this next month, don't worry about improving your run time, pullups, or any of that trash, you'll improve at boot camp no matter what.

Just spend time with your family because you will not be seeing them not just for the next 3 months but realistically the next 4 years. Aside from your 10 days of leave after boot camp the next time you will see your parents is your block leave before deployment unless they decide to fly up and visit you one weekend when you get to the fleet. My only regret is spending so much time PT'ing, researching the Corps, and crap like that and not spending enough time with my family. Don't make that same mistake. You will spend the next 4 to 20 years eating, sleeping, drinking, and breathing the Marine Corps... for the next month just enjoy being a normal civilian with a family.

davblay
07-03-07, 11:58 PM
You want my advice? Forget about the Marine Corps for this next month, don't worry about improving your run time, pullups, or any of that trash, you'll improve at boot camp no matter what.

Just spend time with your family because you will not be seeing them not just for the next 3 months but realistically the next 4 years. Aside from your 10 days of leave after boot camp the next time you will see your parents is your block leave before deployment unless they decide to fly up and visit you one weekend when you get to the fleet. My only regret is spending so much time PT'ing, researching the Corps, and crap like that and not spending enough time with my family. Don't make that same mistake. You will spend the next 4 to 20 years eating, sleeping, drinking, and breathing the Marine Corps... for the next month just enjoy being a normal civilian with a family.
Good post John! I can see you are settling into the Corps. How are you doing? Is everything going ok for you at Lejeune?

Be it known----Accord is the most motivated Poolee, turned Marine, on this site! Listen to what he has to say, all you poolees. Walk in his footsteps and be the best!

Semper Fi, John!

immaproshooter
07-04-07, 01:21 AM
hey accord you are in Lejeune? you in SOI?...if so ITB or MCT?.... what company are you in?

HurricaneRJ
07-04-07, 03:08 AM
He graduted SOI not to long ago, He's a grunt none the less. He is already assigned a Infantry battalion.

Hey Woody, I might be able to get a slot in August, we had a guy who puss out and took ridlin and he started bleeding out of his ass. So I have to loose 4lbs by next Tuesday and if I do. I take his spot and his infantry contract.

bgsuwoody
07-04-07, 03:55 AM
Well then you know what you have to do...Don't let the beer and the grill get you this 4th of July then :)

bgsuwoody
07-04-07, 03:55 AM
Edit: Double Post

hempstead56
07-04-07, 10:46 AM
He graduted SOI not to long ago, He's a grunt none the less. He is already assigned a Infantry battalion.

Hey Woody, I might be able to get a slot in August, we had a guy who puss out and took ridlin and he started bleeding out of his ass. So I have to loose 4lbs by next Tuesday and if I do. I take his spot and his infantry contract.

Fat loss= Water intake+Cardio You could lose that much if you really need to

bgsuwoody
07-04-07, 10:49 AM
Oh I think he knows what to do...he's been making this progress for a long time now and this is just the final step. We are all pushing for RJ and hope everything goes his way.

HurricaneRJ
07-04-07, 07:54 PM
The grill got to me already too late (I cooked). I'm eating Tuna and drinking lots of water and carido 45 minutes everyday. I found out the reason I wasn't loosing much recently was because I was doing the same thing and my body got use to it, so I started power walking and I lost weight real quick, now. I'm in the attic all day.

SnowPaint078
07-04-07, 11:27 PM

My recruiter says I should focus on leadership, keeping my IST scores high, being safe & getting out of trouble. But then again he knows I want to be the best & a squad leader. I would say dont do much in the last week, except run lightly a day before. Wouldn't want to get used to not running at least once a week. & from what I noticed running once a week keeps you healthier & your breathing in general becomes deeper.

Kurby494
07-05-07, 12:38 PM
Damn, a month?.... Now it's really gonna start gettin boring around here. lol. ;)

But seriously. Keep up the good work man. Honestly If I were you I owuldn't change a thing. You've got your head on tight and you're lookin for the prize. I suggest that you keep up the running all the way untill the last week or week and a half. Also as the time draws near start simplifying your work outs. Dont keep doin anything thats too unorthodox or that involves any equipment or supplements because in boot camp the only people I've seen who use work out equipment are the boys in the Pork Chop Platoon, and you're definately not headed there.

Stay strong Bro and you got this!

Kurby494
07-05-07, 12:41 PM
The grill got to me already too late (I cooked). I'm eating Tuna and drinking lots of water and carido 45 minutes everyday. I found out the reason I wasn't loosing much recently was because I was doing the same thing and my body got use to it, so I started power walking and I lost weight real quick, now. I'm in the attic all day.

Yeah thats how it goes. Once you see your results start to plateau you need to find a new way to shuffle up your work outs. What I do is spend 1-2 months focusing on different things and then switch. Also switch your dieting too. The worst thing someone can do is the same thing over and over because once your body has it figured out it wont work nearly as well anymore.

PHILLYBOI
07-05-07, 02:17 PM
Good luck guys make us proud, I dont think mohawks is a good idea??????

immaproshooter
07-07-07, 11:35 AM
just remember...never let yourself give up.... its all in your mind theres not a thing in boot that you cant do physically jsut put your mind to it and you can get through it all

Marine84
07-07-07, 12:59 PM
Woody..........................tick............... .........tick........................tick

HurricaneRJ
07-07-07, 07:40 PM
Yeah thats how it goes. Once you see your results start to plateau you need to find a new way to shuffle up your work outs. What I do is spend 1-2 months focusing on different things and then switch. Also switch your dieting too. The worst thing someone can do is the same thing over and over because once your body has it figured out it wont work nearly as well anymore.
Yeah, I've PT everyday now, I'm spending at least 5 hours in the gym and then i work from 2 til 11. I'm pretty much gone all day. I get screened monday. I got a couple more lbs to loose by then, so Sunday I'm going all out at the gym. I'll give a sitrep once I get home on monday.

usmc2007
07-07-07, 08:42 PM
Woody..........................tick............... .........tick........................tick

Howcome nobody gives me the "tick................tick...........tick........"? lol i want one!! lol

davblay
07-08-07, 12:53 AM
Howcome nobody gives me the "tick................tick...........tick........"? lol i want one!! lol

Jak, your ticks ar furhter apart right now! They do speed up as times gets closer!

bgsuwoody
07-08-07, 02:17 AM
Man the ticks are great. I have been ticking the time away myself the whole time I've been in DC. It's like its own little song now in my head. I mean 1 month do the day before bootcamp being at 8th & I and ticking the next day away at the Marine Corps Museum and the Memorials. Tick me away baby! I'm ready

On the other hand, can you tick my last two weeks of work away for me any faster, I would really appreciate it. :)

usmc2007
07-08-07, 01:10 PM
Jak, your ticks ar furhter apart right now! They do speed up as times gets closer!

yea, but mine should be the same as Woody's...lol.....we leave the same day, and same MCRD! lol

davblay
07-08-07, 02:38 PM
yea, but mine should be the same as Woody's...lol.....we leave the same day, and same MCRD! lol

tick............... .........tick........................tick

Tooks
07-08-07, 02:55 PM
good luck! Looks like me and you will be at the beautiful Parris of America during pretty much the same time. I'm leaving in two weeks. July 23rd. Scared chitless but I wanna make my family proud and serve my country. The best part about leaving now is that I get to celebrate my 18th birthday while in boot camp. I'm thinking about asking my Drill Instructors for the day off... I dunno just a thought... ;) lol

usmc2007
07-08-07, 03:14 PM
i will turn 18 a week before i leave....but i cant wait to go....it will be so awesome...

TrevelyanInc
07-08-07, 05:06 PM
Woody's new favorite cadence...

"You had a good home and you left!"
"You're right!"

HurricaneRJ
07-09-07, 08:34 AM
Ahh didn't fukin make it today. Maraculiousy I've gained 12lbs in a week. Went from 235 to 247, knida frustrating I guess, I thought all the cardio I was doing would help but guess not. I'm heading back to school, I'm defintely not looking forward to going to boot camp in the winter, so I'm planning on finishing my freshman year by the spring. I'm gonna keep commitment in the gym everyday. (I get sick I if i don't got to gym).

Woody good luck man, you'll do just fine.

jetdoc
07-10-07, 07:33 AM
Ahh didn't fukin make it today. Maraculiousy I've gained 12lbs in a week. Went from 235 to 247, knida frustrating I guess, I thought all the cardio I was doing would help but guess not. I'm heading back to school, I'm defintely not looking forward to going to boot camp in the winter, so I'm planning on finishing my freshman year by the spring. I'm gonna keep commitment in the gym everyday. (I get sick I if i don't got to gym).

Cane, how far along the enlistment process are you? When you go to the gym are you weight training and doing cardio? I go 5 days a week, and I hate cario by itself, so I combine weight training and cardio into one. I do lots of super sets and compound sets with minimal rest time. I go heavy too. Some say that you can't lose fat and increase strength at the same time. They say its like standing and sitting at the same time..however I have done it.

I am not trying to lose weight per se, you're, right? To be honest dude, the people I see on the cardio machines, for the most part, are usually the blue hairs or fatties...usually. My point is just doing cardio is a scam.

Workout with weights, but go more moderate, and do a fast pace with little rest. That way you're doing cardio while working out with weights, killing two birds with one stone.

My kids have tried to work out with me in the gym...that lasted for 2 minutes. Not because of the weight but because of the pace...I don't stop.

Try it man, what do you gotta lose, 'cept some fat.

bgsuwoody
07-10-07, 09:32 AM
Yup, I agree, I warm up with about 15 minutes of bike cardio to get my blood pumping, and then when I'm at the gym I do like the Stew Smith style and rest with crunches. Though I do them with weight and on the benches, it is a great way to keep the heart going, which is the key to loosing weight.

bgsuwoody
07-10-07, 09:46 AM
Some say that you can't lose fat and increase strength at the same time. They say its like standing and sitting at the same time..however I have done it.

Missed this part the first time. Whoever said this is full of ****. I have done it too. My attempt was to gain weight and strength, but it happened that all I did with my style and with my metabolism was lose BF% and gain a significant amount of strength. I am very happy with my progress and though I am not the "huge" guy my strength is getting better and my run time stays down. I'll be the skinny guy pumping out 20 pullups and a 22:00 run anyday. Oh and not to mention the ladies love being able to see the abs.

TheBiggness
07-10-07, 10:21 AM

That chit happened to me to. I trained with a buddy of mine for a while doing some serious running. I lost 3 pounds the first day then put on 8 pounds by the end of the week. I guess it was just muscle gained and water.

Now he moved and I have to do the routine by myself. It seems easier when someone is doing the chit with you. I have to tell my brain to shut up and keep moving sometimes.

Books
07-10-07, 02:04 PM
Dun dun dun! Well, you know what they say about shipping out to boot... It happens to the best of us.

Wish you luck, and some hilarious army-themed packages,
Books

bgsuwoody
07-10-07, 07:21 PM
Kurbs just sent me this picture with a message on MySpace saying "so 27 days left...Can you feel it? I bet your friggin stoked? http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f317/Kurby494/73538219.jpg

Its a great picture and yes I'm friggin stoked! Thanks Kurby!

USMC90
07-10-07, 07:30 PM
^ Mail call?

HurricaneRJ
07-10-07, 09:13 PM
Cane, how far along the enlistment process are you? When you go to the gym are you weight training and doing cardio? I go 5 days a week, and I hate cario by itself, so I combine weight training and cardio into one. I do lots of super sets and compound sets with minimal rest time. I go heavy too. Some say that you can't lose fat and increase strength at the same time. They say its like standing and sitting at the same time..however I have done it.

I am not trying to lose weight per se, you're, right? To be honest dude, the people I see on the cardio machines, for the most part, are usually the blue hairs or fatties...usually. My point is just doing cardio is a scam.

Workout with weights, but go more moderate, and do a fast pace with little rest. That way you're doing cardio while working out with weights, killing two birds with one stone.

My kids have tried to work out with me in the gym...that lasted for 2 minutes. Not because of the weight but because of the pace...I don't stop.

Try it man, what do you gotta lose, 'cept some fat.
Well I was 235 two weeks ago. I was going to the gym 7-days a weeek. Wasn't neccesarily doing cardio. I would run 2 miles 1day, then jog 4 miles the next, and I would run in whatever i felt like in the morning. Now for weight training, I work on my Arms, Back, Shoulders, and Abs everyday. Doing different exercises each day. What I messed me up was drinking 9 water bottles everyday at the gym. I didn't go in the sauna and sweat it off like I should have. My Gunny gave me a water pill and I literally ****ed it all off. I'm back down to 237 now. Now I'm drinking electrolyes before I run now. Add that with a protein shake with fat burner in it everyday. I've gained alot of mucsles. I got vains popping out my back, forarms, and my calves.

CantWaitToSign
07-11-07, 12:19 AM
Damn I never realized so many of you other Poolees are shipping out the same date as me. I just finished my last day of work today now I have 26 days of rest and relaxation (of course not when I'm PTing) I am very pumped to go I can't wait! Just hope my mom doesn't try and thing tricky like break my leg so I can't go...she keeps threatening me with that.

kbs95125
07-11-07, 12:42 AM
Woody has been holding out! Has anybody seen the pictures of his sister?

Haha, just messing with you Woody.

bgsuwoody
07-11-07, 12:51 AM
Woody has been holding out! Has anybody seen the pictures of his sister?

Haha, just messing with you Woody.

Lol, I can only keep it hidden so long lol. Believe me she goes to the same college as me, I was in a fraternity...I've heard it all before!

kbs95125
07-11-07, 12:55 AM
And with that information, I am absolutely suprised you aren't in jail.

Just make sure before you leave you get her a nice large sweater that says "My brother isn't here" on the front and "He's busy becoming a Marine" on the back. I doubt anybody would be giving her an eye after reading that.

bgsuwoody
07-11-07, 12:58 AM
She has a very rich boyfriend that continues to have my blessing as long as he treats her well and takes me out drinking when he's around. He spent a couple hundred bucks on me and my friend one night in DC. If he keeps that up, he's good to go. He is 23 owns his own house, a Lincoln Navigator and 2 other cars and is just loaded. I told him I want a new car when I graduate from boot lol.

kbs95125
07-11-07, 01:00 AM
Well I can't compete with that.

I have a cute dog! Haha

Integrity57
07-11-07, 01:21 AM
She has a very rich boyfriend that continues to have my blessing as long as he treats her well and takes me out drinking when he's around. He spent a couple hundred bucks on me and my friend one night in DC. If he keeps that up, he's good to go. He is 23 owns his own house, a Lincoln Navigator and 2 other cars and is just loaded. I told him I want a new car when I graduate from boot lol.

Is it getting serious between the two of you woody? lol j/k