PDA

View Full Version : 2 random questions

kbs95125
07-02-07, 07:44 PM
Any of our recent graduates want to fill me in on what you leave boot camp with, besides that amazing EGA and the huge sense of accomplishment?

I'm just curious as to what you "get" and what you pay for yourself.

And I had a question about injuries in boot camp. Lets say you... break a finger, but it still functions enough to not bother you, would you have to go to medical? Or can you just sack up and move on?

USMC90
07-02-07, 07:59 PM
Any of our recent graduates want to fill me in on what you leave boot camp with, besides that amazing EGA and the huge sense of accomplishment?

And I had a question about injuries in boot camp. Lets say you... break a finger, but it still functions enough to not bother you, would you have to go to medical? Or can you just sack up and move on?

I'm not a Marine but I'd like to answer this one.

I've broken a finger once and thought I could just suck it up and move on with what I was doing..... negative. It could get worse if you don't get it looked at. For one it could become permanently damaged which would result in pain and not being able to use it the way you did before.

I don't think the Corps wants damaged goods.
:p

kbs95125
07-02-07, 08:45 PM
I've broken fingers plenty myself too. Its just one of those injuries where there isn't anything you can really do but tape it up though.

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-02-07, 11:20 PM
I have broken more fingers than I care to remember. The only time I got medical attention was for a compound fracture. When the bone was sticking through the skin, I decided it needed to be looked at.

If you don't feel the need to go to medical, you won't get dropped. For something like that, you would just get a couple days of light duty and still not get dropped.

You don't "get" much of anything. They deduct the cost from your pay. That said, you'll have all of your uniforms and associated stuff.

Christ0ph
07-02-07, 11:24 PM
Well, by the time you leave, your seabag is packed to the limit. You pay for everything even if it is issued. Medical can be such a freaking scandal sometimes, especially in First Phase. At San Diego MCRD, I've seen some broken as f**k Recruits not get dropped and hang around the squad bays on light duty for ages. Be careful anyways, if you really think it's serious, go to medical.

kbs95125
07-03-07, 02:31 PM
Thanks for all the resonses. I had a feeling that was how it was but I just wanted to confirm.

I doubt I'll be getting any injuries I'll be concerned with in boot.

Marine84
07-03-07, 07:15 PM
Let me tell you..................I had the top rack and, since I'm short, I had to climb down the frame of the bed like a ladder. I "missed" one morning but my little toe caught on the frame on the way down and split the skin between my last 2 toes. I didn't say anything about it. A DI saw me favoring that foot and asked me what was wrong, I told her what had happened that morning and she told me to take my boot off and let her see. I think that b!tch yelled at me alllllllllll the way to medical - she had a COW cause I didn't say anything. Even if you cut your finger with a piece of paper, you had better tell that DI - no matter how stupid or insignificant YOU might think it is.

kbs95125
07-04-07, 12:02 PM
Good to know ma'am. Thank you.

Motorola07
07-04-07, 12:18 PM
Like the PVT said, You leave with everything they give you. Only thing i believe you don't leave with is your linen role and 2 canteen cups, 2 canteen bags, and the belt. Cortex jacket, and a poncho. All those stay... But everything else is yours, you paid for them. You can also leave with blues, but you have to pay for them as well.

About being broke, you will get light duty for a while. They wont drop you to MRP for something small like that. You can still run, you can still get ITd(to the point of not using your hands). Talked to a guy in MRP, the DI's finally dropped him to MRP, he was on bedrest for 2 weeks in his TC. He had bronchitis. He said, they DI's would come to his rack, make him get out of his rack and get IT'd. They finally dropped him to MRP because he wasn't getting any better. Let me put it this way. If you are sick, the DI's hate you with a passion.

Zulu 36
07-04-07, 02:08 PM
Talked to a guy in MRP, the DI's finally dropped him to MRP, he was on bedrest for 2 weeks in his TC. He had bronchitis. He said, they DI's would come to his rack, make him get out of his rack and get IT'd. They finally dropped him to MRP because he wasn't getting any better. Let me put it this way. If you are sick, the DI's hate you with a passion.

I wouldn't say they hate you. I think it is quite the contrary. The last thing they need is for you to die on them. The paperwork is horrible for one.

I caught a bad case of the flu during snapping in week. It was obvious that I was a sick puppy and had a high fever. Before I turned into sickcall, the SDI called me into the hut and asked me if I could gut out a trip to the range first to shoot "triangularization" (now called battle sight zero). He said if I could do that, he could cover me for a couple of days bed rest without having to drop me. He was very solicitous and said he would respect my decision. I chose to gut out BZO. The DIs loaded me up with aspirin and cool water and off we went.

I was on the first relay to shoot, managed to get some semblance of real dope, don't ask me how, and the Third Hat then took me to sick bay and stood around while I was seen to take me "home."

I was on best rest for three days. The DIs all made sure I took my meds and water, and they had other recruits sneak carrots, celery, crackers, and bread out of the mess hall so I could eat something.

The SDI had to go to bat for me with the Series Commander because I missed three days of snapping in and managed to avoid dropping me.

I remain grateful to my SDI for the chance and his faith in me. I shot Sharpshooter on qual day and he was happy.

Now, remember, these were the days the DIs still smacked us around regularly too, never mind a little IT.

Motorola07
07-04-07, 02:20 PM
I didnt mean to put it that way. But They dont like it when you get dropped. They put time and effort in you.

Zulu 36
07-04-07, 03:18 PM
I didnt mean to put it that way. But They dont like it when you get dropped. They put time and effort in you.

That statement I will fully agree with. You are a challenge that they lose. No Marine likes to lose a challenge.

kbs95125
07-05-07, 04:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses, its really informative for me.

Christ0ph
07-05-07, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't say they hate you. I think it is quite the contrary. The last thing they need is for you to die on them. The paperwork is horrible for one.

I caught a bad case of the flu during snapping in week. It was obvious that I was a sick puppy and had a high fever. Before I turned into sickcall, the SDI called me into the hut and asked me if I could gut out a trip to the range first to shoot "triangularization" (now called battle sight zero). He said if I could do that, he could cover me for a couple of days bed rest without having to drop me. He was very solicitous and said he would respect my decision. I chose to gut out BZO. The DIs loaded me up with aspirin and cool water and off we went.

I was on the first relay to shoot, managed to get some semblance of real dope, don't ask me how, and the Third Hat then took me to sick bay and stood around while I was seen to take me "home."

I was on best rest for three days. The DIs all made sure I took my meds and water, and they had other recruits sneak carrots, celery, crackers, and bread out of the mess hall so I could eat something.

The SDI had to go to bat for me with the Series Commander because I missed three days of snapping in and managed to avoid dropping me.

I remain grateful to my SDI for the chance and his faith in me. I shot Sharpshooter on qual day and he was happy.

Now, remember, these were the days the DIs still smacked us around regularly too, never mind a little IT.

Senior Drill Instructors are cool like that. Prove to them that you are putting out and want to be there...and they will take care of you to their best ability and fight to keep you with the platoon. :thumbup::thumbup:

Marine84
07-05-07, 11:00 PM

Just for the record.................you don't "get" $h!t - you "earn" EVERYTHING with sweat, guts and determination! ;)

kbs95125
07-06-07, 10:58 AM
That was a typo ma'am. I won't make the same mistake again.
Haha