PDA

View Full Version : Marine Homecoming

thedrifter
07-01-07, 06:20 AM
Marine Homecoming
Submitted by Stephanie Beecken on 30 June 2007 - 9:44pm.
READ MORE: News | Onslow County

It is tearful reunion for family members this weekend as thousands of marines return home.
Friends and family wait in anticipation as the marines arrive by sea and air.

Sgt. Dustin Hodges, who just returned from his 6 month long deployment says, "I’m just happy to be home. I have a baby son now."

Sgt. Hodges isn't the only one who will see his new baby for the first time.
Petty Officer William Neason's daughter was born in March.

He describes seeing his baby girl for the first time as "utter joy. I've seen a few pictures of her, but they do not show the detail, the true beauty of her."

Today was the first time he held his daughter in his arms and touched her tiny hands.

Neason says, "it was really hard being away when she was born and I'm overjoyed to be here with her now."

Neason is also overjoyed to be with his wife and son as he hugs them both.

For the time being, the family is together and making the most of every moment.
Neason says, "It’s good to be home. I’m happy to see my family, but not looking forward to leaving again.

The troops know it won't be long until the next deployment.

The marines were on a six-month deployment to Africa, Kuwait and Jordan.
Their mission was to keep stability in these countries.

2,200 troops were deployed six months ago and all 2,200 are returning home this weekend.

Ellie

thedrifter
07-01-07, 08:17 AM
Lejeune Marines return -- some to bigger families
By Lisa Hoppenjans, Staff Writer
CAMP LEJEUNE - Five-month-old Lara Andaya's eyes were wide, her face worrisome and puzzled, as Sgt. Rosito Andaya hoisted her into the air. He held her at face level, smiled widely and said softly, "Hi. Hello."

The father and daughter met for the first time Saturday as 2,200 members of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit began their return home from a six-month deployment in a flurry of quiet tears and excited screams. Husbands and wives lingered in long embraces, proud parents ambushed their sons with bear hugs and some, such as Andaya, met for the first time children born while they were away.

The Marines will continue to arrive through Monday.

The unit was on three ships floating around the Horn of Africa and the Middle East, intended as a rapid reaction force for any conflicts or humanitarian crises that break out. In the meantime, they train with local forces; on this deployment the unit held training exercises with military forces in Djibouti, Qatar, Jordan and Kenya, working on strengthening ties with those countries.

"Our work doesn't necessarily make headlines, but a lot of people say that's a positive thing," said Capt. Will Klumpp, a public affairs officer for the unit. "Because if all is quiet in Kenya and Jordan and other nations because they are standing strong against threats of transnational terrorism, a lot of that can probably be credited to units like the 26th MEU."

While in Kenya, the unit helped build a school and set up a two-day, open-air medical clinic, providing immunizations and treating people with dysentery and malaria.

"We treated people who don't really have access to the kind of medical care we provide," said Petty Officer 3rd Class Jonathan Underberg, 21, a Navy hospital corpsman.

Around 8:30 a.m. Saturday, some of the first groups of Marines began landing by hovercraft on Camp Lejeune's Onslow Beach. Propellers whirled, sending sand and sea spray flying, as the hovercraft plowed onto the beach. A single Marine stood up at the top of one boat and threw his arms up in joy as it came to a stop on the sand.

Across the base, families waited for hours in sticky heat for the Osprey helicopters (from ships) or buses that would carry their loved ones from the beach.

Diana Mitchell, 24, of Orlando sat in the back of her Ford F-150, its windows covered in messages for her husband, Cpl. David Mitchell: "Welcome Home," "I love you" and "I missed you."

The couple were married just under a year ago. At David's deployment, Diana met Kristine Kern, whose fiance was also deploying with the unit. The two talked by phone every day.

"We kept each other sane," Kern said.

The windows of Connie Jones' car had a different message: "Finally I get to meet my daddy." Like Lara Andaya, Raven Jones was born while his father, Cpl. William Jones, was away. Connie wandered the field, with Raven balanced on her left hip, a video camera in her right hand and the couple's 4-year-old daughter, Carlee, pulling the bottom of Connie's shirt from behind.

Connie sent Will digital photos by e-mail every day, documenting important moments like Raven's first smile, and had Raven listen to recordings of his dad reading stories.

"I don't want [Will] to miss out on anything," she said.

She was ready to capture another memory on camera, but Will caught her by surprise. She hadn't been able to pick him out of the crowd of Marines in camouflage uniforms and hats, but he saw her. As she chatted with other wives, Carlee jumped up. "Mommy! Mommy!" she shouted and pointed, "Daddy!"

Connie ran to him. By now, Raven was asleep, oblivious to the roaring helicopter landing a few hundred yards away. Will touched his son's head.

"It's weird," Will said later. "I've only ever seen him in pictures."

Staff writer Lisa Hoppenjans can be reached at 932-2014 or lisa.hoppenjans@newsobserver.com.

Ellie