PDA

View Full Version : Confused?

CEV87
06-29-07, 11:47 AM
Hey everyone Ive been lurking on this site for the past 6 months but know I ship to PI this Sunday. My problem is my recruiter told me i cant have anything on my wishlist of MOSs i wanted which were 1. Infantry 2. Combat Support 3. Security Forces. I can understand about 2 and 3 being filled but I would have never have thought that Infantry would be filled up. Any advice would be great from anyone of you Marines.

-Chris

SnowPaint078
06-29-07, 11:53 AM
Hey everyone Ive been lurking on this site for the past 6 months but know I ship to PI this Sunday. My problem is my recruiter told me i cant have anything on my wishlist of MOSs i wanted which were 1. Infantry 2. Combat Support 3. Security Forces. I can understand about 2 and 3 being filled but I would have never have thought that Infantry would be filled up. Any advice would be great from anyone of you Marines.

-Chris

Remember all Marines are first a Rifleman, so In a way you are infantry. But I guess look at what MOS's interest you and try to find the best alternative that offers you to be close to your interests. Maybe you like guns & bullets, -Ammunition Technition
Maybe you like vechiles and cars and would like to have an oppertunity to see combat
-Tank crew (not sure but you get the drift)
Try that and then try to switch over after bootcamp if a spot opens in your wish list, if thats an option.

CEV87
06-29-07, 12:01 PM
hmm. your right. Thanks and I appreciate it.

KittyRina
06-29-07, 12:24 PM
Good luck on Sunday.. .. stay Moto!!

If you really try hard, you might be able to find a spot in infantry, but snowpatrol is right.. you're first a rifleman. :)

bgsuwoody
06-29-07, 12:45 PM
Come back, I think you are going to find some REAL different answers from the Marines...who I hope can get here to answer your questions in time. I have a feeling that they will tell you NOT TO LEAVE until you get the MOS you want (but I don't want to put words in their mouth). I would HIGHLY recommend you wait for their advice!

Marines we could use your help here!

hempstead56
06-29-07, 04:02 PM
LAV crewman and ABRAM crewman are all badass jobs

awb5711
07-02-07, 10:52 AM
Honestly....I'd call him on that one. Respectfully though. Something sounds fishy if there are no openings in any of those fields. If those are the jobs you really want and will make you happy then hold out. Wait a little while. Maybe go talk to another recruiter. This is your life, not ours, the recruiters, or the Corps. Becoming a Marine is a big commitment and a huge lifestyle change. Set yourself up for success by coming in doing something that you will enjoy.

davblay
07-02-07, 11:40 AM
There you have it Poolees! That's why the SGTs make the BIG BUCKS! Good answer, I agree 100%! :thumbup:

bgsuwoody
07-02-07, 11:50 AM
Honestly....I'd call him on that one. Respectfully though. Something sounds fishy if there are no openings in any of those fields. If those are the jobs you really want and will make you happy then hold out. Wait a little while. Maybe go talk to another recruiter. This is your life, not ours, the recruiters, or the Corps. Becoming a Marine is a big commitment and a huge lifestyle change. Set yourself up for success by coming in doing something that you will enjoy.

And Exactly the answer I expected thank you Sergeant!

Marcus
07-17-07, 12:40 AM
My recruiter told me that the MOSs that fill up the fastest are:
1. 03xx Infantry
2. the other combat arms MOSs (artillery and armoured vehicles)
3. Motor T.

I haven't quite figured out why so many people would want Motor T.

Phantom Blooper
07-17-07, 06:12 AM
I haven't quite figured out why so many people would want Motor T.

Oh you silly rabbitt.....don't let SSGT. Jim Nelson hear (See) you say that! :evilgrin:

jetdoc
07-17-07, 07:20 AM
Thats exactly what I would say AWB, good post. <br />
<br />
The only way that story sounds plausible is if you scored real high on the ASVAB and they want you for, I don't know, Avionics? Greater need of the...

jinelson
07-17-07, 08:02 AM
by Marcus - I haven't quite figured out why so many people would want Motor T.

I cant freaking believe that you even said that! Motor T see's just as much action as the grunts in a combat zone, it takes balls to be a big green slow moving target of oppritunity for our nations enemies! Read below and educate yourself about Motor T.

Jim

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x157/usmc3537/motort5.jpg

Motor-T provides critical link for Marines in Iraq’s Al Anbar Province

RAWAH, Iraq (March 7, 2007) -- Far up the beaten dirt road, the front of the ten-vehicle motor transport convoy was barely visible through the fog-like sand hanging in the air.

The Marines had already been driving for about eight hours. Their route took them to three cities in the Al Anbar Province, about 150 miles northwest of Baghdad, bringing supplies to Marines separated from the majority of the Camp Lejeune, N.C.-based 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion.

“Pretty much every day we’re on the road,” said Cpl. Ronald Lewis, a 22-year-old motor transport operator. “We bring out supplies, food, drinks, ammo and equipment.”

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x157/usmc3537/motort11.jpg

By 4 p.m., they had been working for eight hours and already completed what the majority of Americans would consider a normal work day. But, they weren’t done yet.

While conducting a patrol in armored humvees around Anah, a city of roughly 20,000 where the ‘Motor-T’ convoy had just resupplied about 120 Marines, a team of combat engineers had run over a hidden improvised explosive device which destroyed the front of their vehicle.

No one was seriously injured, but the Motor-T Marines were now responsible for transporting the destroyed vehicle.

Several hours later, after they used their equipment to load up the damaged humvee, and were set to head back “home,” another call to move a vehicle came in.

“Well, sometimes that’s what happens,” said Lewis, a Clinton, Tenn., native. “You just have to be able to work around the clock.”

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x157/usmc3537/motort14.jpg

They might have long, busy days, but the team of roughly 40 motor transport Marines here seem to take a certain pride in their job.

Motor-T is the link between the infantry Marines who conduct daily security operations and the rest of the battalion. While some U.S. Forces in Iraq enjoy access to military stores to buy goods, internet access and daily “mail call,” in this remote part of the Al Anbar Province many infantry Marines go weeks at a time without these luxuries.

Through their constant convoys, Motor-T helps do the legwork that takes care of their Marines who live “in the field.”

But the responsibility comes with its risks.

“Obviously, when you’re on the road, you’re going to be susceptible to IED attacks and small arms fire,” said 2nd Lt. Jose Guevara, the 30-year-old motor transport officer. “But, dealing with all the heavy equipment, we also have to supervise and make sure that everyone’s safe.”

Maintaining safety and completing their job could be a difficult business, said Guevara, a Victoria, Texas, native. However, the job runs smoothly due to the work of his enlisted noncommissioned officers, many of whom are on their second deployment, and his junior Marines who, he says, “have really stepped up and taken on a lot of responsibility.”

Their hard work and attention to detail is important, Guevara said, because as cliché as the term “complacency kills” might have become to service members in Iraq, it’s the truth.

“We know what to expect and we’re prepared for it,” said Guevara. “It’s almost the same thing over and over, but you can’t let your guard down.”

“Every time you leave the wire, you have to act like it’s the first time,” he said.

Phantom Blooper
07-17-07, 08:11 AM
Jim,did you get my PM about the reunion?:beer:

:evilgrin:

jinelson
07-17-07, 08:39 AM
I sure did bro, I used to be a member of MTA. Thanks but I have a full plate with Leatherneck.com and Marine Corps League right now.

Jim

jetdoc
07-17-07, 09:14 AM
Motor T, Grunts, Arty guys, you all rock and we love you here in the Wing however in all of your posts you fail to mention one very important thing...who gets all the chicks...thats right baby, THE Air Wingers do.

:p Semper Fi you Devil Dogs!!

jetdoc
07-17-07, 09:18 AM
Back on topic...hope the advise from myself and others in this thread will help you out young fella. The balls in your court now.

Phantom Blooper
07-17-07, 09:21 AM
Yep!

Marcus
07-17-07, 01:37 PM
I definately understand how someone would want to go Motor T. It seems like a really cool MOS. I just didn't know there were so many of those guys and that the MOS filled up so fast.

Zulu 36
07-17-07, 01:58 PM
I was also Motor T in Vietnam. MT people had one of the higher casualty rates in Vietnam, after grunts of course. I'm sure they are taking a high percentage in Iraq as well. Our idea of "up-armored" trucks was putting a layer of sandbags on the cab floor and praying a lot.

Several of my instructors in operators school had Purple Hearts from wounds received while driving in Nam.

While I was never wounded, I was shot at a number of times. My regular deuce-and-a-half had three bullet holes through the right side of the cargo area, about mid-way back. Once I saw a green tracer pass over my hood while driving. I just wonder how many more were fired at me that missed totally and I had no clue.

Billd
07-17-07, 09:05 PM
The end of the Fiscal year (FY). So many openings are given to the Corps for each FY in all MOS's. Once they fill the number given, no more allowed for the remainder of that FY. The Governement FY runs from 31 October to 30 October. If your shipping after October, then I would talk to someone about it. I'm just not sure what FY they're filling for at the moment, I would find out where the regional office is and try to get more info. Don't jump into something you don't want to do. I know it's hard, but if you have to wait 6 months or even a year, do it!! Remember that you will be doing whatever it is you decide to do for at least 4 years!