PDA

View Full Version : Flag connotes honor, sacrifice to local residents

thedrifter
06-28-07, 07:45 AM
Flag connotes honor, sacrifice to local residents

Thursday, June 28, 2007
By Margaret Smykla

Richard Dean, 73, still gets goose bumps when he sees the American flag. The South Park man recalls driving, years ago, cross-country on a motorcycle, witnessing the ever-changing panorama of the United States, Pittsburgh to Big Sky to Big Sur.

He also experienced patriotic shivers of another kind on that trip: He still marvels at the diverse range of Americans who extended courtesies and kindnesses to him.

"It makes the country even greater," he said of differences in backgrounds and beliefs. Mr. Dean said that is the "breathtaking landscape of America.''.

Other South residents shared similar stories, as we asked in time for the Fourth of July: What does the red, white and blue mean to you?

"The red, white and blue stands for the many opportunities here to make what you want of yourself,'' John Federkeil said.

Mr. Federkeil, 74, of West Mifflin, said he has firsthand knowledge of this because he has traveled extensively outside the country since his retirement.

The Korean War veteran said he is upset about the Iraq War. He said he believes that the fighting has no benefit to America, just as there was no gain, he believes, from wars in Korea or Vietnam.

But, he added, that it doesn't detract from the joyous reminders the flag invokes of our independence and freedom.

Zak Cofini, 15, of Castle Shannon, is reminded of the sacrifices others made when he sees the flag.

"I respect it because all branches of the military gave their lives so we could have the flag and our freedom," said Zak, a member of the Young Marines, the official youth program of the U.S. Marine Corps.

For Sheila Matragas, 43, the flag that proudly flies outside her Whitehall home every day represents the "honor and respect of Americans, especially the ones who served."

On July 4, she will line Brownsville Road with hundreds of others to watch the annual Brentwood parade in which her husband, Jim, and daughter, Teah, both volunteer firefighters, will participate.

Their willingness to risk their lives for others heightens Mrs. Matragas's appreciation of her community and the freedoms she enjoys.

For all its might on the world stage, the heart and soul of America lies in its communities, said Jim "Red" Wilson, 55, of Bethel Park.

"What I really revel in is the heritage of Western Pennsylvania," he said, of the sportsmen, artists, scientists and tradesmen who sprung from Steel City roots of mills and mines.

"This is the core of America," he said of his hometown.

"I wouldn't want to live anywhere else," he said.

For Kevin Coleman, 30, of Bethel Park, the flag symbolizes "the core values of apple pie and fairs like this," referring to the June 24 Rev Up and Roll family-oriented festival at the South Park Fairgrounds, which he enjoyed with his 7-month-old son, Alex.

He would remind foreign visitors that one of the best things about his homeland is our acceptance of diversity. For that reason, he said, Americans do not wage wars against each other over differences, unlike some of the world's hot spots.

Michelle Staab, 20, of Castle Shannon, plans to visit her parents in Mount Washington where plenty of flags line the streets, then watch the City's annual fireworks display, this year being shot from Station Square.

She said the best thing about living in America is our freedom of religion and choice.

To Jeff McDonough, 24, of Mt. Lebanon, the flag represents the United States, where we enjoy freedoms others do not.

But while America "is a pretty safe place to be," in this age of terrorism and nuclear weapons, "we are hurting our image by trying to police the world," he said.

Laura Russell, 52, plans to celebrate the holiday by raising the U.S. flag at Dormont Pool.

The first time she marched as a veteran in a parade was on Memorial Day in the mid-1990s, when, during a downpour, she represented Dormont Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 640.

"I don't only participate for me, but for all veterans who can't do it anymore, due to age or disability," said the Vietnam-era veteran.

Since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, she has flown a flag from the front porch of the Dormont home she shares with her husband, Dave, who is also a Vietnam veteran.

"If you cut me, part of me would bleed Steeler black-and gold, but the other would bleed red, white, and blue," she said.

(Margaret Smykla is a freelance writer. )

Ellie