PDA

View Full Version : R-e-s-p-e-c-t

KittyRina
06-27-07, 09:55 PM
Tell me if I'm out of line, Hell, chew me out.. butttttt.....

Respect is one of the KEY things in the Marine Corps. It seems like a lot of us poolees/wannabes forget that we learn from each other, and once we go to our MCRD we have to rely on each other (i.e., if some guy in your platoon ****s up, you all might *get* to PT it off). There are a LOT of reasons to respect one another on here, including (but not limited to) some of us know a little more than others, and those BTDT Marines know a lot more than others, we need the support, both now, during, and after Boot Camp (leatherneck.com is THE #1 Marine Corps support group!!!), and just because someone says something wrong or doesn't know 100% what they're talking about, it doesn't mean they're "retarded".. that person might just save your life on a battlefield someday.

What it boils down to, to me, is-- RESPECT EVERYONE...Enlisted, Officer, DEP or Not.... because like I said, they might end up covering your *** in a VERY REAL and VERY TIGHT situation.. (now, lets all hug and say sorry.):banana:

USMC90
06-27-07, 10:29 PM
(now, lets all hug and say sorry.):banana:

Ladies only on this one please.

:p

All jokes aside I agree to some degree BUT I also think that if you want respect you have to earn it.

KittyRina
06-27-07, 10:30 PM
Ladies only on this one please.
aw would you like a hug?:p I mean that with all respect, of course

USMC90
06-27-07, 10:40 PM
aw would you like a hug?:p

Negative. Stand by though. ;-)

I mean that with all respect, of course

:beer:

KittyRina
06-27-07, 10:45 PM
I'll be waiting... always, waiting... lol

TrevelyanInc
06-28-07, 12:23 AM
Unnecessary displays of affection aside, I agree.

At the same time... we're in the Marines' court, kiddies. They make the rules, and us following them is respect. One day, I'll be a Marine. I'll expect all the snot-nosed poolees here to treat me with a little respect because I went through the 13+ weeks of hell just to have that honor.

So, yeah, I agree. But we're not all equals here. The Marines in here are giving you a hard time because you really don't get it yet (hell, I don't either) and that's what you should expect in Boot Camp, and for a while after that. But eventually, you learn things, in time, and it all makes sense.

My friend had an extremely politically incorrect way to say it:
Winning an Internet argument is like winning the Special Olympics. When it's all said and done, you're still retarded.

rvillac2
06-28-07, 02:22 AM
My friend had an extremely politically incorrect way to say it:
Winning an Internet argument is like winning the Special Olympics. When it's all said and done, you're still retarded.

OMG, I just did a Marine84 and spewed all over my laptop.
nice one.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-28-07, 02:32 AM
I respect those that have earned my respect. Marines have earned that respect. Some of the poolees here have as well. However, if you're expecting me, or the other Marines here, to kiss your ass and go out of our way to respect you- it isn't going to happen. You haven't done anything worthy of our respect yet. You've said you're going to enlist in the Marine Corps- many, many people have said that and never earned the title of Marine.

That said, there is no need to be hostile or harsh unless someone is just being an idiot. Sadly, that happens around here more than it should.

davblay
06-28-07, 08:29 AM
Amen!

thedrifter
06-28-07, 08:59 AM
Respect is EARNED by Following the Site Rules;)

PM OUT

Ellie

zx6rdr
06-28-07, 09:06 AM

Respect is one of the KEY things in the Marine Corps. It seems like a lot of us poolees/wannabes forget that we learn from each other, and once we go to our MCRD we have to rely on each other (i.e., if some guy in your platoon ****s up, you all might *get* to PT it off). There are a LOT of reasons to respect one another on here, including (but not limited to) some of us know a little more than others, and those BTDT Marines know a lot more than others, we need the support, both now, during, and after Boot Camp (leatherneck.com is THE #1 Marine Corps support group!!!), and just because someone says something wrong or doesn't know 100% what they're talking about, it doesn't mean they're "retarded".. that person might just save your life on a battlefield someday.

What it boils down to, to me, is-- RESPECT EVERYONE...Enlisted, Officer, DEP or Not.... because like I said, they might end up covering your *** in a VERY REAL and VERY TIGHT situation.. (now, lets all hug and say sorry.):banana:

Sounds like somebody should join the Peace Corps, rather than the Marine Corps.

Marine84
06-28-07, 09:07 AM
Dangit Kitty - and I had hopes for ya girl! The Corps wasn't politically correct when a lot of us went through. If we see something that looks/walks/sounds like a duck, we call it a duck - plain and simple. There ain't no sugar coating going on. If you feel you have been dissed by ANY Marine in here - we hate it for you. If you feel you have been dissed by any other member on this site - take it up with them privately.

I would suggest you get a thicker skin................you'll need it at Parris Island and you WILL NOT get to tell your DIs how they should be respecting you instead of being in your grill raising hell about how you're NOT worthy enough to wear the uniform.

AND, just ANOTHER piece of knowledge for you and all the other females that come through here.....................you will find that, in general, WMs get very little respect in the fleet anyway - if you think a male Marine is going to "carry your weight" just because you're a female, YOU ARE DEAD WRONG! You will have to PROVE yourself EVERY single day that you're in it for the fight WITH them.

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 10:02 AM
I'm going to agree. The reason I get so upset on the forums sometimes is because some people decide they can come on this forum (the Marines' house) and act out of line. The Marines deserve the respect they have earned. They have already conquered the challenge of boot camp and the fleet, they have established us an area to ultimately speak freely on issues regarding bootcamp, and they help us for no reason other than to see us succeed and carry on the tradition of good Marines.

However, besides that I don't just hand respect out like its Halloween candy. Someone has to go beyond the everyday and prove themselves to me as someone that will be there, will do the things required of them, and will do so with little complaint. Respect also comes from overcoming and acheiving extroidanary feats.

This isn't the Kumbaya, love your neighbor, group hug, pass the peace pipe, kiss and make up, Unity Coalition, politicaly correct, free love, Golden Rule, society you may have wished to join.

There isn't a magic way to earn one's respect, but there are guidelines and Ellie said it well, here the way to earn respect is to follow the rules...but I would add to that if you desire the respect of these Marines it is 100% necessary to go that extra mile.

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 10:03 AM
Edit: Double Post :)

HurricaneRJ
06-28-07, 10:35 AM
This isn't the Kumbaya, love your neighbor, group hug, pass the peace pipe, kiss and make up, Unity Coalition, politicaly correct, free love, Golden Rule, society you may have wished to join.

That was a good set of words.

Marine84
06-28-07, 10:45 AM
pass the peace pipe

Some of us older ones call it a bong! ;)

And..................we DO NOT hug (unless it's our own kids, parents, spouses, pets and the Harley riders that hug their bikes)

davblay
06-28-07, 10:48 AM
I'm going to agree. The reason I get so upset on the forums sometimes is because some people decide they can come on this forum (the Marines' house) and act out of line. The Marines deserve the respect they have earned. They have already conquered the challenge of boot camp and the fleet, they have established us an area to ultimately speak freely on issues regarding bootcamp, and they help us for no reason other than to see us succeed and carry on the tradition of good Marines.

However, besides that I don't just hand respect out like its Halloween candy. Someone has to go beyond the everyday and prove themselves to me as someone that will be there, will do the things required of them, and will do so with little complaint. Respect also comes from overcoming and acheiving extroidanary feats.

There isn't a magic way to earn one's respect, but there are guidelines and Ellie said it well, here the way to earn respect is to follow the rules...but I would add to that if you desire the respect of these Marines it is 100% necessary to go that extra mile.

Kim, I think this Poolee had potential! Well----maybe!

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 11:35 AM
I hope I still have potential ;), Only 30 something more days and I'll get to finally prove it! Until then I'll be hanging out here doing what I can

thedrifter
06-28-07, 12:15 PM
Kim, I think this Poolee had potential! Well----maybe!

I do have to agree...The Best out of the Bunch!

Ellie

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 12:19 PM
I do have to agree...The Best out of the Bunch!

Ellie

Well you guys better stop this. Now I am going to have a big head and a **** eating grin all day while I am at work. :cool: I guess I'll run it off when I get home ;)

KittyRina
06-28-07, 12:24 PM
I'm not talkin about handing out respect.. there are a few poolees on here that just DONT get that we're all in the same boat.. I'm not sayin just love everybody, but we can't bicker like 4 year olds... now if someone said to me that I'm a worthless piece of crap and don't belong in the Marine Corps... then umm respect terminated.. I agree that you have to earn respect.. but some people don't even carry a grain of respect for anyone on here... bah.. I should've known this would blow up in my face...

(now, lets all hug and say sorry.)
That was sarcasm...

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 12:37 PM
I think the problem is not that this blew up in your face, but that you jumped into the wrong "life raft." Every poolee here that doesn't go the extra mile is essentially "using" each one of these...

USMC90
06-28-07, 12:45 PM
^Good post.
:beer:

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 12:46 PM
I'm not talkin about handing out respect.. there are a few poolees on here that just DONT get that we're all in the same boat.. I'm not sayin just love everybody, but we can't bicker like 4 year olds... now if someone said to me that I'm a worthless piece of crap and don't belong in the Marine Corps... then umm respect terminated.. I agree that you have to earn respect.. but some people don't even carry a grain of respect for anyone on here... bah.. I should've known this would blow up in my face...

That was sarcasm...

And nothing against you Kitty, but you have been around here for 6 short days. I haven't been here that long either, but I have learned a lot. I have taken attributes and things I've learned from reading almost every thread in this forum and following in the footsteps of individuals like Achped, Accord, Covey, Jackson07, Justin493, and many others that you can fully tell have EARNED the respect of these Marines some before and after bootcamp (Edit: or OCS sry Justin :) ). It is important that if you want to be great that you walk in the path of those who have reached greatness. (There's a quote by Machiavelli, but I just said it how I wanted).

Justin493
06-28-07, 01:59 PM
Now I've got a **** eating grin ;)

TheBiggness
06-28-07, 02:07 PM

Wtf?
WE respect the Marines, this is their hang out. They let us come around to learn. If someone gets out of line they catch hell. I garuntee it's more effective and they remeber more then if someone was polite.

Other than that I havn't seen any poolees and wannabes talking chit and disrespecting each other. We get along pretty good.

davblay
06-28-07, 02:51 PM
WHEW---------I just don't know where the Corps' recruiters come up with Poolees like bgsuwoody (http://member.php?u=41801)! I, for one, am going to miss this lad while he's making his transition to Marine! But then he will be the Corps' gain and our loss! :cry:

bgsuwoody (http://member.php?u=41801), you are GOOD TO GO in my book! Keep the Poolees in line. I nominate bgsuwoody (http://member.php?u=41801) to be the honorary Guide for the poolees until he leaves in August! Anyone second that? :marine:

SGTBrentG
06-28-07, 02:56 PM
Absolutely!

davblay
06-28-07, 03:08 PM
How about it Jinelson, can we do something like that?

usmc2007
06-28-07, 06:13 PM

have i earned that Woody? lol

coffeecoven
06-28-07, 07:13 PM
Respect Is A Two Way Street?

Once I Thought I Had Found A Cure For Apathy--but Nobody Seemed
To Care

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 07:18 PM
have i earned that Woody? lol

Jakob, hopefully we can be right hand men at the Island :)

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 07:31 PM
WHEW---------I just don't know where the Corps' recruiters come up with Poolees like bgsuwoody (http://member.php?u=41801)! I, for one, am going to miss this lad while he's making his transition to Marine! But then he will be the Corps' gain and our loss! :cry:

bgsuwoody (http://member.php?u=41801), you are GOOD TO GO in my book! Keep the Poolees in line. I nominate bgsuwoody (http://member.php?u=41801) to be the honorary Guide for the poolees until he leaves in August! Anyone second that? :marine:

Just for the record Dave, I don't need a title to be doing the job that any poolee or member of this forum should be doing anyway. I will continue to do everything in my power to be a benefit rather than a hinderance to this forum and continue to interact in a way that is appropriate and enjoyable. My goal is just to be the best I can be during my preparation, so I can be the best on the Island, and if its even possible the best in the Fleet.

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 07:48 PM
Just for the record Dave, I don't need a title to be doing the job that any poolee or member of this forum should be doing anyway. I will continue to do everything in my power to be a benefit rather than a hinderance to this forum and continue to interact in a way that is appropriate and enjoyable. My goal is just to be the best I can be during my preparation, so I can be the best on the Island, and if its even possible the best in the Fleet.

However, that did sound kind of unappreciative so I would just like to say thank you for even including my name for such a thing, but it is not necessary, I love being here, even now during my lunch break from work. I am honored and will be going back to work even more giddy than when I arrived earlier :D <----kinda like this!

usmc2007
06-28-07, 07:57 PM
Jakob, hopefully we can be right hand men at the Island :)

hopefully....but thats only if we get the same platoon!! LOL

TrevelyanInc
06-28-07, 10:39 PM
Personally, I think those deserving respect on this board usually get it.

It's not the Peace Corps by any means; Marines are a rough bunch. Hell, they kill for a living. Did you expect anything less?

But Marine or no, those who are gonna put the Marines before themselves and give 113% those 13 long weeks, those who have potential, those who can follow the rules (even I forgot my profile the first time I posted)... those souls who can stay in line and still be outstanding leaders, they get respect around here and it'll be even more so when they get the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor pressed into their hands.

I think Woody has a little advantage, given that he has more age and maturity than some of the other poolees around here. But he'd still get my vote. If the Corps was a democracy, that is :D

davblay
06-28-07, 10:47 PM

Scratch that Jinelson, this guy might be the next President! Woody all you had to say was "THANKS", I don't need a lecture from you!

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 10:55 PM
Personally, I think those deserving respect on this board usually get it.

It's not the Peace Corps by any means; Marines are a rough bunch. Hell, they kill for a living. Did you expect anything less?

But Marine or no, those who are gonna put the Marines before themselves and give 113% those 13 long weeks, those who have potential, those who can follow the rules (even I forgot my profile the first time I posted)... those souls who can stay in line and still be outstanding leaders, they get respect around here and it'll be even more so when they get the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor pressed into their hands.

I think Woody has a little advantage, given that he has more age and maturity than some of the other poolees around here. But he'd still get my vote. If the Corps was a democracy, that is :D

Ok, at this point I think this may be getting out of hand. I am no better than anyone else on this board. The potential is there in everyone, it is being able to use the qualities you have and practicing and increasing those you do not possess to the standard desired. If you know you aren't more mature or physically capable or otherwise you are one step ahead of most...you know your problem, now build on it. Leadership Principle II: Know yourself and seek self improvement

There is this quote that Accord told Achped and I take it to heart probably more than anything I have ever read on this site.

"Just know that when you get to recruit training, you're going to have alot of recruits who can only do 5 pullups, 70 crunches, and a 25 minute three mile as their FINAL PFT.

Don't look at those guys and be like "Oh, yeah, we're better than him, he sucks." Look at the guy who's got the highest PFT score and be like "What? He only got 21 pullups? I'll do 23...and run faster than him."

Strive to be the best, and walk in the path of greatness, Research your enemies and research those you respect even further. Emulate those who you wish to be and always put in a 100% effort.

I'm no one special, you won't be asking during your service what would bgsuwoody do, you'll be asking yourself what would Chesty do? What would Dan Daly do? What would Commandant Archibald Henderson do? What would Smedley Butler do? What would Carlos Hathcock do? What would the Marines at Derna, Chapultepec, Belleau Wood, Haiti, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Cosin Reservoir, Da Nang, Khe Sanh, or Fallujah do?

And even more importantly however, is what are you going to do for others. These men are all famous and all true heros have inhabited in themselves a desire to put others before themself. To be selfless and courageous. To be honorable under the least honorable conditions. They had uncommon valor as a common virtue. Finding that may be the necessary linchpin you find in your service, or even before and that's the day everything will click.

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 10:57 PM
Scratch that Jinelson, this guy might be the next President! Woody all you had to say was "THANKS", I don't need a lecture from you!

It's the political science major, 5 years of college, and 4 years working in local/state/national politics...I apologize...I've said it before I speak like a term paper and I'm attempting to stop...but I'm SOOOOO good at it.