PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about leave.

Chrisbrv
06-27-07, 12:24 AM
Upon competion of ITB do Marines get to go on leave or do they report straight to the FMF?

Thanks!

Sgt D
06-27-07, 12:42 AM
It depends. If you are not in the infantry (going through MCT) I personally don't know. If you are in the infantry it will depend on your duty station in relation to your schoolhouse. If you go through ITB in Pentleton and your duty station is going to be Pendleton or 29 Palms, then no. But if your going to the east coast, Hawaii, or Security Forces School the you possibly could. Basically, if you are going to be stationed near where you went through ITB then no. If you are going to be stationed away from where you went to ITB, then it's possible.

davblay
06-27-07, 07:45 AM
Sgt D pretty well hit the nail on the head. You get 30 day annual leave (vacation). You use 10 of those day after Boot Camp, so if you get more leave after ITB, that eats into your leave time for your first year. I know you young pups like to come home more than we old farts, but you have to plan your leave time carefully so you can be home for special times, such as Christmas and Thanksgiving and such!

When you finish ITB if you are on the east coast, going to the west coast, they will give you like 4 travel days to get there. Travel days do not come off of your leave time. So you might be able to visit home a couple of days, if you live between the bases, if you plan it well. Normally two days travel is all that's actually needed from east to west. They allow you plenty of leave way for your travel so you won't be late reporting in to your new assignment.

That's the way it was in my day!

Andreas
06-28-07, 03:58 PM
Basically just like above, you do get 30 days PER YEAR...

If you are in ITB (SOI), you have been in the Marine Corps a wopping 3 months...4 months? So you've earned 10 days...which you burned after Boot Camp...you may have earned 12-13 days (instead of the 10 as stated a second ago)...so you'll have 2-3 days on the books to use? ...

Highly unlikely for you to get leave.

Just wait until you report to your unit and they go on block leave.

Accord
06-29-07, 09:11 PM
You will get no leave at all upon completion of SOI, your only hope is to get your recruiter to submit a request for recruiters assistance, but other than that you're not getting any leave after graduation.

150 Marines from my company at SOI got sent to Hawaii and guess what? 150 Marines were on planes flying to Honolulu and checking in that very same day. You want leave after SOI? Not gonna happen. You will not get any leave unless you have a family emergency or you're married where you'll get 10 days of free leave to move your crap and get your trash squared away.

You will not get 4 travel days to go from SOI East to Pendleton, or SOI West to go to Lejeune. The Corps will book and purchase your plane tickets for you, the guys going from NC to Hawaii had to report in that same day. Mabye it's different when you're changing duty stations or something later on in your career, but at SOI you're not getting any leave after graduation and you get no extra days for travel.

As of right now, the only duty station where you will be granted leave before reporting from SOI is Okinawa.

Chrisbrv
06-29-07, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

davblay
06-29-07, 11:28 PM
Accord is correct. It's been a long time since I was active duty. If you get leave time and are on PCS you get travel time, otherwise it's off in the wild blue yonder!

Thanks Accord for correcting me! Semper Fi, My younger Brother!