PDA

View Full Version : Why is the flex-arm hang supposed to be difficult for males?

Jrrrr
06-26-07, 10:19 PM
I keep hearing that the flex-arm hang is inherently difficult for males because we're built differently than women. Anatomy is obvious, but I've been wondering what the specific explanation is.

For instance, I can do a 70 second flex-arm hang with some effort, but only 4-5 deadhang pullups. That's not something I want to brag about, but it doesn't make sence if pullups are supposed to be easier for men.

Too bad I can't use my hanging skills to get an easy 100 on that part of the PFT.

Quinbo
06-26-07, 11:46 PM
There used to be a presidential physical fittness badge that could be earned by high school students by performing a flex arm hang for 70 seconds then running a 440 in a 3 minutes or less and then performing 10 push ups

bgsuwoody
06-26-07, 11:48 PM
Holy crap, we used to do these...Next time I go home I am going to find my badge and my certificates lol...man the old days!

Jrrrr
06-27-07, 09:14 PM
There used to be a presidential physical fittness badge that could be earned by high school students by performing a flex arm hang for 70 seconds then running a 440 in a 3 minutes or less and then performing 10 push ups

I remember that from elementary and middle school, too. There was also a sitting reach test.

AMW
06-27-07, 09:38 PM
I would get amazing results on everything except that damned sitting reach test. I hated it

Andreas
06-28-07, 03:54 PM
Back to on topic.

The only reason the rumor is around that the Flex-Arm Hang is harder for males is because...we don't do it...that's what what we get tested on.

If you can do pullups...you can do the flexed arm hang. For women they usually weigh less, so that is easier, also...there is a way to do it....you brace your elbows in to your ribs...

Then the timer also only stops when your arms cease to have a bend in it...

I mean cmon....seriously...

You could almost be at a dead hang...and have a slight bend in your arm still and your timer still counts.

Bleh

=P ~ ~ ~

winniele
06-28-07, 06:03 PM
i just think the flex arm hang is not harder for males but pull ups are harder for females because of our boobs (i don't know if that is appropriate).it is sort of heavier for us on top. so flex arm hang is just staying in one place and easier for women (although not for me) and don't need to lift ourselves up :)

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 07:26 PM
Yes I would definitely have problems if I had boobs, only because I think I would have some huge ones ;)

SnowPaint078
06-28-07, 07:36 PM
Yes I would definitely have problems if I had boobs, only because I think I would have some huge ones ;)

I dont know what to make of that statement, but good for you, I hope your proud of that. ;)

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure either, but I think if I was a girl I would want some huge knockers...I know that's something I hear a lot of complaining about...usually not by women, but by me :)

kbs95125
06-28-07, 08:06 PM
No offense, but I don't think you'd look very good with any size boobs. :sick:

Haha, just messing with you. Please don't get boobs.

SnowPaint078
06-28-07, 08:08 PM

Agreed.

HurricaneRJ
06-28-07, 08:41 PM
I wanna see some pics if you get some.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-28-07, 09:53 PM
The flex arm hang seems difficult for males because they don't practice it. If you spent time doing it you'd be fine. Pull ups are diffiult for women because they require more upper body strength than many females have. But, PCP is full of males that can't do them either.

USMC90
06-28-07, 10:22 PM
I wanna see some pics if you get some.

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by kbs95125

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Agreed.

LOL god I love this site.

bgsuwoody
06-28-07, 10:24 PM
I agree too, I don't need my own set of boobs, If I need to I can borrow them from my "close friends" ;)

Qwarkeh
06-28-07, 11:45 PM

Trust me, you don't. This one girl I knew from school had the biggest breasts I've ever seen that are natural. She had so many back problems because of it.

On the other hand I'm glad I'm almost flat chested (haha, sorry guys) because my chest doesn't get in the way of things:bunny:

killerinstinct
06-29-07, 08:01 AM
i am going with the boob latch theory..

It states when doing a arm hang place both boobs over the bar to provide some extra support..

I hope this has answered your question

drumcorpssnare
06-29-07, 03:28 PM
Heck, back in the "Old Corps"...the Women Marines did pull-ups with their breasts!:D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

HurricaneRJ
06-29-07, 03:47 PM
Lol.