PDA

View Full Version : New...

KittyRina
06-24-07, 08:48 PM
( i read another thread like this, so i decided to do one of my own.)

My name's Katrina, I'll be 17 years old in July. I am enlisting in the Marine Corps as soon as I turn 18 years old. I'd enlist right now in a heartbeat, except for the fact that A) I'm overweight and B) my mom and step dad are opposed to the military. A couple of reasons I wanted to join. First, I wanted to join because I'd seen people go into boot camp and come out completely different, but as I researched and started talking to Marines (one of my friends leaves for boot July 24, I believe) I noticed how, even though she wasn't in the Corps, she had the pride of it. Another reason is the totally different level of testing. You aren't in boot for 5 weeks, like some, but you get pushed farther and harder than anybody.
When I told my biological dad (lives about an hour away , is in the National Guard Reserve and has been to Iraq once) his first response was to advise me to join the AirForce... because it was *quote!!* "easier on you".. I was really suprised, because he was tellin me how the AF only had to stay for like 4 months, and that's the best.... I just told him that I was going into the Marines for that reason, that Marines didn't have rose petals spread wherever they went...

So basically, I stand with a few questions:
I haven't told my mom and stepdad yet. My first thought was to call them before getting on the plane to PI and tell them... but what are your thoughts?
For any woman Marines: what was your experience like at PI?
Any encouragement or anything that got you through it is good, too.... thanks!

Katrina

HurricaneRJ
06-24-07, 08:51 PM
Welcome aboard and your not alone when it comes to the parents. Get Pt'ing and get ready. Glad your here.

KittyRina
06-24-07, 09:44 PM
thanks!

USMC90
06-24-07, 09:51 PM
( i read another thread like this, so i decided to do one of my own.)

My name's Katrina, I'll be 17 years old in July. I am enlisting in the Marine Corps as soon as I turn 18 years old. I'd enlist right now in a heartbeat, except for the fact that A) I'm overweight and B) my mom and step dad are opposed to the military. A couple of reasons I wanted to join. First, I wanted to join because I'd seen people go into boot camp and come out completely different, but as I researched and started talking to Marines (one of my friends leaves for boot July 24, I believe) I noticed how, even though she wasn't in the Corps, she had the pride of it. Another reason is the totally different level of testing. You aren't in boot for 5 weeks, like some, but you get pushed farther and harder than anybody.
When I told my biological dad (lives about an hour away , is in the National Guard Reserve and has been to Iraq once) his first response was to advise me to join the AirForce... because it was *quote!!* "easier on you".. I was really suprised, because he was tellin me how the AF only had to stay for like 4 months, and that's the best.... I just told him that I was going into the Marines for that reason, that Marines didn't have rose petals spread wherever they went...

So basically, I stand with a few questions:
I haven't told my mom and stepdad yet. My first thought was to call them before getting on the plane to PI and tell them... but what are your thoughts?
For any woman Marines: what was your experience like at PI?
Any encouragement or anything that got you through it is good, too.... thanks!

Katrina

Welcome.

Let me just say one thing. It's YOUR decision to join the Corps NOT theirs, if they don't like it.. too damn bad.

Good luck.

AMW
06-24-07, 10:49 PM
Hey welcome. Nice to see another female around these boards (there actually are more than I expected)

good luck

Matlock09
06-24-07, 11:50 PM
Nice to see another female around these boards As Borat would say from the glorious nation of Khazakistan.....very nice!
Oh and of course Welcome!

bgsuwoody
06-25-07, 12:07 AM
Wow look at all these new wannabes/poolees...Hopefully we will have a few more so we all can feel complete again...I like seeing all the June join dates :)

Nice talking to you tonight on the chat Kitty. Thanks for coming. Heed the advice of the Marines here especially Marine84 (she'll be a big help for you because she has BTDT) and continue on the path you've laid forth for yourself and allow nothing or nobody to get in the way of that and you will succeed and find yourself a Marine in no time.

KittyRina
06-25-07, 10:34 AM
thanks for the advice! Yeah, I plan on making this place like my Bible... i'm on another military site, too, but they aren't as .. umm... close knit as leatherneck.com! I love this place! Lots of Moto, lots of .. interesting.. characters!!

HurricaneRJ
06-25-07, 11:00 AM
BTDT - Been There Done That.

KittyRina
06-25-07, 11:11 AM
Yeah! I Googled it, and then edited my post! lol

Marine84
06-25-07, 11:51 AM
Heed the advice of the Marines here especially Marine84 (she'll be a big help for you because she has BTDT)

HAHAHAHA! A FEW times!

rvillac2
06-25-07, 06:25 PM
HAHAHAHA! A FEW times!

BTDL= Been There, Did Lots.

Marine84
06-25-07, 08:43 PM
BTDL= Been There, Did Lots.

;) You better believe it!