PDA

View Full Version : Change of Course, Advice?

sec9
06-20-07, 06:34 PM
Alrgiht well Im 18 and about to leave for college this September. The plan is/was to start college then as soon as possilbe take care of my orthodontic work and surgery. While doing that I would be in DEP and go to boot as soon as I am fully recovered then if possilbe do the 92 day program and go back to school and drill as a Marine Reservist with a unit near my school.

Now comes the part that I could use advice on. Im starting to think that I would much rather be an Active duty Marine rather than go to this college, wait 1-2 more years and become a Reservist. What I was thinking I could do is enroll in a community college and take courses just until I can complete this orthodonic process where I have to get surgery to widen the upper pallet in my mouth. The surgery itself is not that big of a deal, it's kind of like getting your wisdom teeth out but on a larger scale and recovery is anywhere from weeks to months. I talked to my recruiter about it he mentioned nothing about a waiver for this kind of surgery, but if I do need one Im sure it wont be hard to get. Problem is the school I am to be attending is great school and my parents (mostly dad) are really happy that I got in there. I plan on talking to him and laying out the education options the Marine Corps offers for Active Duty Marines as well as officer programs like MECEP. A lot of people tell me to do ROTC or just try to head straight for an officer position, but I feel that it would be better to have some enlisted time under my belt before I take on the responsibility of an officer.

My dad is understands that I want to join the Marines and supports my decision. He just wants to make sure that Im making the right decision. I want to know what some of you would do in my position, and any advice on how I can do this.

JoeSzynal
06-20-07, 07:02 PM
If you want to join becuase of WOT efforts, not to worry, the war will be here when you get out of school. If not, again, go to college.

If you were 100% for sure you wanted to be a Marine I wouldn't be reading your post.

By the way, you will get better and more training as active duty by design.

sec9
06-20-07, 07:13 PM
Im 100% I want to be a Marine. Its just a matter of whether I wait 1-2 years and go Reserves, while also doing 4 years of college or going active duty right away. I would rather go active duty rather than reserve.

HurricaneRJ
06-20-07, 07:14 PM
Hmm, your not the only one who thinking about becoming a Reservist. Alot of these poolie who want to do active duty would hate me because misery loves company.

Get your teeth fix first, concentrate on PT and goto school and get at least a semester done and get the Pfc. promotion. Also becoming an officer is no easy thing, you have to wanna do it, it shouldn't be "I wanna be an officer but.... I wanna be an active duty Marine now."

Marine84
06-20-07, 09:20 PM
We've already done it - what do you think we're going to tell you? Joe's right - if YOU were sure that you wanted to be one of us, we wouldn't be reading this thread.

killerinstinct
06-21-07, 07:56 AM
i got one thing to say you going to college; Look into the PLC program it allows you do do training during the summer while your off few weeks between semesters and upon graduation youre a Marine.

Sous3313
06-21-07, 10:13 AM
Now comes the part that I could use advice on. Im starting to think that I would much rather be an Active duty Marine rather than go to this college

Thats what im doing. I was gonna try to play football for a D-2 school and take Webpage Design/Computer Graphics and get a degree in Computer Science. But i have always wanted to join the Marines. And i figure i can always go to college later. And for football well.... the Marines have base teams i hear.

TheBiggness
06-21-07, 11:12 AM
I'm sure School is gonna be there after a 4 year contract.
Hell, you might even want to make a career out of the Marine Corps after you've been in.

bgsuwoody
06-21-07, 11:51 AM
I was always told the Marine Corps would be there when I got done with 4 years of college. Well they were right, but I took the 5 year plan. Much can change during that time, but if your being a Marine is in your heart I believe that it doesn't matter if you went to college first. I sure as hell wasn't going to miss my opportunity when it arose...the day I was sure I was graduating at least by the end of summer I got my ass in the recruiters office and went to MEPS 2 days later. However, I didn't need summer classes and that's why I'm stuck here until August...aren't you all lucky now! I've wanted this for too long to let job opportunities and people's opinion get in my way! Only a month and a half left!

yellowwing
06-21-07, 12:00 PM
Can you Lead and Make Decisions and Own Up to Them Good or Bad? The enlisted US Marines is one of the hardest mofo you have ever seen. Each and every Marine wants to live up to Belleau Wod, Chosin, Khe Sahn and Beirut.

Can you live up to the rep of the Lion of Fallujah (http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/06/gdcritter_sends.html)?

HurricaneRJ
06-21-07, 12:30 PM
Can you live up to the rep of the Lion of Fallujah (http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/06/gdcritter_sends.html)?

He is another insipiration we all could look up too. I still have his picture saved as my background.