PDA

View Full Version : Conway speech motivates high school students

thedrifter
06-20-07, 03:16 PM
Conway speech motivates high school students
By Kimberly Johnson - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Jun 20, 2007 12:35:16 EDT

The Marine Corps’ top officer gave 1,000 high school juniors a dose of “Marine Corps-style” leadership advice, urging them to be assertive when pursuing their goals.

“In the absence of orders, attack. Be aggressive,” Commandant Gen. James Conway said during his keynote address at Missouri Boys State on June 16 in Warrensburg, Mo.

“Don’t wait for someone else to make the decision for you. If there’s that stalemated moment and there’s uncertainty, step forward. Be aggressive and take advantage of your God-given skills and don’t hesitate to act, given the opportunity to do so,” he said.

Conway, who grew up in Missouri, spoke to the Boys State students for about 30 minutes before giving the floor to combat veteran Marines, who told the crowd what it means to be a Marine.

Sgt. John Tremaine, a Kansas City, Mo., native and a veteran of two deployments to Iraq, said that being in the Corps has taught him that you can learn from anybody.

“I’m going to obtain knowledge and use it to further my leadership to mold Marines to take my spot, because someday, someone is going to end up taking the sergeant major’s [of the Marine Corps] spot,” said Tremaine, the logistics chief for 2nd Marine Division’s Maintenance Battalion. “Someone’s going to take the commandant’s spot.”

Conway emphasized to the teenagers that leadership requires selflessness.

“In our Corps, officers eat last,” he said. “In the field, officers wait until everyone has gone through the [chow] line. There’s great symbolism in that. It’s a great way of life when you are a leader. Make sure you take care of your people first, and yourself second.”

Lt. Col. T.V. Johnson, Conway’s spokesman, said the presentation left an impression on the boys, who were gathered at the American Legion sponsored-event to learn about government from the local to the state level.

“They were motivated,” he said. “The first question after his speech was, ‘Where do I sign up?’ ”

Ellie