PDA

View Full Version : My Mother's Old-Fashioned Sayings

thedrifter
06-18-07, 06:53 AM
My Mother's Old-Fashioned Sayings
By Carol W. Kimball

Published on 6/18/2007 in Home »Region »Region News

Please close the door,” my mother would say when I got home from school and left the kitchen door wide open. “Were you brought up in a barn?” That was one of her favorite sayings, along with lots of others that you don't often hear nowadays. Barns and farms figured in many of them. Everyone had a barn, or lived near one. If we were playing catch and I missed, someone would say, “You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if you tried!” Or I might hear, “Too late to lock the barn after the horse is stolen.” All those references are fading from our culture.

Chickens were part of our lives then. “Your chickens will come home to roost,” my mother would observe, meaning that I would get what I deserved for my actions. And sometimes she would say that I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

When I helped with house-cleaning, she might caution, “Use plenty of elbow grease,” meaning to put some muscle behind my work. Or if she was rushed that day, it would be, “I'll just give it a lick and a promise,” meaning once over lightly. If I dawdled I'd hear, “You're as slow as molasses in January!” That referred to the times when molasses jugs were kept in unheated cellars or woodsheds during cold winter months and the thick stuff congealed in the freezing temperatures.

When I talked too much my mother would remark, “You chatter like a chipmunk. I think your tongue is fastened in the middle and wags at both ends.” At the table, if I left food on my plate, I heard, “Your eyes were bigger than your stomach.”

My father had a few favorites too. “Born too long ago,” he would say when he felt a touch of arthritis. He also liked “dead as a doornail,” whatever a doornail is, and “six of one and half a dozen of the other.” “Cat got your tongue?” he would ask if I didn't answer a question right away. Talking about an elderly friend he would announce, “I've known him since I was knee-high to a grasshopper,” or “since Methuselah was a pup.” When he finished work he used to say, “I've been as busy as a one-armed paper-hanger.”

I recall that when my mother was provoked she would say, “Go pound sand!” I hadn't heard that for years until my friend Betty Ann was annoyed with a recent incident at Elm Grove Cemetery. She told me, “I was so mad I told him to go pound sand!” It's the equivalent of “go fly a kite,” I suppose, but I couldn't make much sense out of it. However, on the Internet, I learned that the expression comes from the forgotten custom of filling rat holes with sand, apparently an ancient means of rodent control. I'm told the expression can have a slightly shady meaning too, but I'm sure my mother had no knowledge of any double entendre.

“A poor excuse is better than none,” she would say when I tried to explain why I hadn't cleaned my room. Alternatives to that were, “Tell that to Sweeney,” (whoever he was), or “Tell that to the Marines.” We heard “If the shoe fits, put it on” when we were discussing blame for some transgression. There were quotations to suit almost any occasion. It was common to hear someone say, “I'm as happy as a clam.” That always puzzled me, but I've been told that the whole expression should be “as happy as a clam at high tide.” People dig clams when the tide is low, so of course they're happy when they're out of reach at high tide.

Most of Mother's sayings that I remember make some kind of sense, interpreted in the light of the times. But one favorite I still can't understand. If she was greatly distressed or disgusted, she would say, “That just about gives me the hypos!” Or perhaps it was “gives me the high pose.” I never heard anyone else use that expression. Did she mean that she was so upset that she needed a shot to calm her down? To this day I don't know. I was interested to find on the Internet under folk sayings, a listing for “hypos” with the notation that the meaning was yet to be determined. I hope I'm among the first to know.

Another mysterious but often-used expression, especially when we had some wild plans of which she disapproved, was “I'll put the kibosh on that.” She meant simply, “Forget it!” I had no idea where that came from, but the miraculous Internet again had something to say. There are several theories about its origin. One holds that it is from the Yiddish “Kabas,” meaning suppress. Others think it comes from the Gaelic phrase “cie blas” meaning cup of death. We know Charles Dickens used it in his writing, spelling it “Kye-bosk.” But when my mother used the term in Quaker Hill so long ago, there was no doubt about her meaning.

carolkimball0647@yahoo.com

Ellie

crate78
06-20-07, 06:50 PM
It might be appropriate here to post a story my mother once told.

A story my mother told……….

This goes back about 80 years to a long-gone country Lutheran church, located about a mile from where my house now stands.

To lay a bit of groundwork, the church faced to the east, and because of the absence of indoor plumbing had an outhouse on the south side of the church grounds. As also was the custom in Lutheran churches of the era, instead of families sitting together, the women and girls sat on the right side of the center aisle and the men and boys sat on the left.

It also was the custom of the day for Lutheran churches to annually set aside one Sunday, usually in the fall, as “Mission Festival” Sunday, with a covered dish lunch and a second service in the afternoon with an imported preacher trying to drum up enthusiastic support and donations for mission work.

For the sake of the story on this particular Mission Festival Sunday, I will refer to the regular pastor of the church as “Reverend Jones” and the visiting preacher as “Reverend Smith”. During the afternoon service, Reverend Smith gave his requisite sermon drumming up support for mission work and then turned the proceedings over to Reverend Jones to conclude the service.

As Reverend Jones launched into prayer, all of the ladies seated appropriately on the south side of the church looked out of the windows and saw Reverend Smith hot-foot it to the outhouse. Reverend Jones continued in prayer, “God bless this, God bless that, God bless the job Reverend Smith is doing……”

Whereupon, in current vernacular, the women all “lost it” and collapsed into fits of laughter. The men, dumbfounded and seated on the north side of the aisle wondered what in tarnation got into those crazy women. Reverend Jones stood uncertainly at the altar in complete bewilderment. Presumably, Reverend Smith attended to his own activity unaware of the commotion in the church. It was several minutes before the women were able to compose themselves enough to allow the service to continue.

I’m unclear as to whether anyone ever did inform Reverend Jones of what actually caused the disruption.

ggyoung
06-21-07, 10:52 AM
My mother always said "poor people do things in a poor way, and always have more babies". This is true I have found that out.

FistFu68
06-21-07, 12:29 PM
:evilgrin: MY MOTHER USED TO TELL ME,EVERY MORNING;JACK MAKE SURE YOU GOT CLEAN UNDERWEAR ON IN CASE YOU GET INTO A CAR WRECK.SO IF WE HAVE TO COME SEE YOU IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM OR THE MORGUE? GOD~BLESS HER!!!:confused:

GUNNY MAX
06-21-07, 03:02 PM
I love some of my late Grandpa's sayings....
"Any job worth doing, is a job worth doing right"
"An empty gun, makes the loudest bang"
"One boy is a boy, two boy's half a boy, and three boys are no boys at all"
(when I would be splitting firewood and my friends would come over to play)
"Take care of your tools, and your tools will take care of you"
"It's colder than a well diggers butt"

ggyoung
06-21-07, 05:13 PM
GUNNY MAX++++++++++++I thought I was the only one left who remembers choping wood and doing chors.

GUNNY MAX
06-21-07, 05:24 PM
Don't see much of it anymore gg. It seems that these days, even out in the boonies where I'm from, kids play with video games or are glued to the T.V. instead of doing chores or out playing tag, hide-n-seek, or swimming in the pond. Although my nieces and nephew still do chores ........ while listening to their I-Pod

marinemom
06-21-07, 05:51 PM
My mom never put the kibosh on our plans - if I asked to go with friends to some place that she thought was not appropriate without adults, or we wanted to do something - and the whine I remember using was "But all my friends are doing it" - the response was usually "And if your friends were going to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, I suppose you'd want to do that, too".

A New York mon's saying - but even tho we live in Virginia, when tigger tried to pull my chain, I found myself using the same line.....does that mean I became my mother????????

crate78
06-21-07, 08:25 PM
I OWE MY MOTHER

1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.
"If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning."

2. My mother taught me RELIGION.
"You better pray that will come out of the carpet."

3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"

4. My mother taught me LOGIC.
" Because I said so, that's why."

5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC.
"If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the store with me."

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
"Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."

7. My mother taught me IRONY.
"Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about."

8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS.
"Shut your mouth and eat your supper."

9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.
"Will you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!"

10. My mother taught me about STAMINA.
"You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone."

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.
"This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it."

12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.
"If I told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!"

13. My mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."

14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION.
"Stop acting like your father!"

15. My mother taught me about ENVY.
"There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do."

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
"Just wait until we get home."

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING.
"You are going to get it when you get home!"

18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
"If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze that way."

19. My mother taught me ESP.
"Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?"

20. My mother taught me HUMOR.
"When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."

21.My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT.
"If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."

22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
"You're just like your father."

23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.
"Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?"

24. My mother taught me WISDOM.
"When you get to be my age, you'll understand."

25. And my favorite: My mother taught me about JUSTICE.
"One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you!"

I think I heard every one of these

crate

Phantom Blooper
06-21-07, 09:08 PM
:evilgrin: MY MOTHER USED TO TELL ME,EVERY MORNING;JACK MAKE SURE YOU GOT CLEAN UNDERWEAR ON IN CASE YOU GET INTO A CAR WRECK.SO IF WE HAVE TO COME SEE YOU IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM OR THE MORGUE? GOD~BLESS HER!!!:confused:

My mother said the same thing then as I got older I thought about it and figured out that if the accident was bad enough I would probally shiat myself anyway so...............:banana: <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->