PDA

View Full Version : Navy vs. Marine Corp: Aviation

CWS
06-17-07, 02:21 AM
As a junior (becoming a senior) in highschool, I've taken a particular interest in two things: flying, and the military. After highschool, I plan to go to college, and from there apply to OCS to work to become a fighter pilot for either the Navy or Marine Corps. The trouble is, I don't know how each branch differs when it comes to being a fighter pilot, and, to put it frankly, what each branch has to offer. I'd like to know what being a Marine Corps. fighter pilot is all about in comparison to the like in the Navy. I have one more year in highschool, and I want to make sure that whichever path I choose will be in my best interest. (Ex: I wouldn't want to be deep in the process of becoming a Navy pilot and find out that I'd like it better as a pilot for the Marine Corps.). Any and all information about the topic would be GREATLY appreciated. This IS the rest of my life we're talking about here.
Thank you very much.

rvillac2
06-17-07, 02:35 AM
You have plenty of time to make a decision. Marines are Naval Aviators and go through the same training as far as flight training academics and physical training.

As far as mission, Marine and Navy aviators do many common things. In fact, with the exception of having a wider variety of aircraft, Marines can do anything the Navy does.

The only thing you have to concentrate on now is developing superior physical fitness and mental discipline. Fighter pilot is a dream that many of us had early on, but not all of us are cut out for the academics involved. You will not only have to study hard, you'll need to beat out your competition. Work hard now and develop good study habits. It will lead to good things in life, in or out of the military.

Zulu 36
06-17-07, 11:11 AM
Marine pilots receive the exact same designator as Navy pilots: Naval Aviator.

Like the Navy, Marine pilots are also carrier qualified, although they get a bit rusty requiring a little extra refresher training when assigned to a carrier air group. Marines do fly more from land bases.

Also, all Marine pilots are first trained like every other Marine officer regardless of commissioning source: The Basic School. Six months of learning how to be a infantry platoon leader. Only afterward do those selected for flight training go off to flight school. Every Marine a rifleman and it applies to the officers even more.

Marine pilots, mainly in the fighter-attack community, will spend tours assigned to infantry units as air support control officers. There have been instances of those officers taking command of units that had lost all of their regular officers in combat. I also believe a pilot, working as an air support officer, got a Silver Star for valor after being severely wounded during the initial attacks into Iraq in 2003.

CWS
06-21-07, 02:54 AM
rvillac2, Zulu 36, thank you very much for the info. This is a good heads up for me and, really, I appreciate it.