PDA

View Full Version : A Word Of Advice For Young Marines

CPLGRAY90-94
06-06-07, 06:30 PM
I was told this when i got out and it really stuck with me and i did'nt really understand it until i got out and got a job. I was told by a salty old sgt major, "You will hate working with civilians"! I did'nt really get it until about a year after i was out. Civilians have bad attitudes, no teamwork, are lazy, no respect, and no pride! They also fear your leadership capabilities when they find out you are a former marine. Any thoughts? Am i off my rocker??

SGTBrentG
06-06-07, 06:40 PM
You are right on the money! I have been out for 14 years and have certainly adopted some civilian traits. I am fat and out of shape. However I still take pride in my job, am very competitive, believe in teamwork and respect my superiors. For the last 14 years I have met so many pukes that only show up for a pay check and have no pride in themselves, much less their work, that it makes me sick! The toughest transition to civilian life for me was that I couldn't bark out an order and it get accomplished. Still have trouble with that one from time to time. All the HR rules and regulations are ridiculous. Can't hurt any feelings!

CPLGRAY90-94
06-06-07, 07:09 PM
HAHAHA! Man i thought i was the only guy who felt that way. The good thing is with all the stupid civilians it really makes us look good because we have a work ethic. Just remember "Not as mean, not as lean but still a Marine"

davblay
06-06-07, 07:56 PM
After 38 years, I am still as much a Marine as I was then-----but you wouldn't think it by looking at me now! LMAO!

GunsUp
06-06-07, 08:10 PM
I am so with you on your comment. Try working for the State/Feds. Now there's a protected class! I worked for the State of AK for a couple of years as a welfare case manager (lol!! I still laugh about that one!) and was told after about six months by my supervisor (retired AF enlisted guy) that I needed to tone it down and not wear suits/ties to work and probably should lose the flattop/high and tight. I guess people complained that I was unapproachable, had unreasonable expectations (hello!! the point is welfare to work! all I ask was that they get a job and I would set them up!), and I was always there early and left late. Hmmm... Sounds like work ethic to me!?!?! Anyway, now I work oilfield safety and funny thing... Most guys on my crew a former Marines! So, productivity is up and people are where they should be. Also, whenever I have had an opportunity, I will push a former Marine into the job over a civilian because I know what I can expect in regards to performance, honesty, reliablilty and working as a team.

Yes, the Marine Corps did prepare me for the civilian workforce but I don't think the civilian workforce is prepared for the Marines...

Marine84
06-06-07, 08:17 PM
I'm with ya'll.............same thing here.

semperfi170
06-06-07, 09:01 PM
I agree!! Biggest mistake was not listening to a SgtMaj who told me something similar. Went to work for McDonnell-Douglas in St Louis for my 1st civilian job. Most of the guys in the section were ex-military (Navy and Air Force), I was the only Marine. Their attitudes sucked for the most part even if they were nice guys. Have had the same experience even as a manager when I was told I that I couldn't expect my subordinates to live up to my example and that I had pushed them too hard. What BS!!! I would have really enjoyed having Marines working for me in the various jobs I in which I was a manager. You can hold them to a higher standard because that is what is expected!!:usmc:

Sgt Leprechaun
06-07-07, 07:15 AM
I agree 100 percent. Try working as an "army civilian" if you want new levels of frustration and disgust. Layer upon layer of mindless twaddle coupled with micromanagement to the 'nth' degree.

The only standard is, basically the fed gummint is the nations largest welfare provider. Doing anything except the bare minimum makes the OTHER 90 percent of the slugs in gummint LOOK BAD and is therefore discouraged at the highest levels LOL. No kiddin.

Osotogary
06-07-07, 09:02 AM
I'll agree with what you all have said and I am a civilian BUT it has been my experience, along the way, that I have had to work with some real dorks, buttholes and lazy sumofbritches (slackers for want of a better word) that have served in the Armed Forces. Now, I don't know how they behaved while in the Service, nor was it my business, but whatever it was... they brought some real bad habits with them. I'm saying all this because I was taught my work habits from some very fine individuals who just happened to be former NCO's. I believe that they taught me well.
Adios from South Florida.
Gary

outlaw3179
06-07-07, 09:54 AM
Agree 100%. What I loved about the Marine Corps was if you were f*cked up , there was no beating around the bush or trying to be senstive. You were immediatly fixed. Try doing that at work. See how fast someone goes crying to the boss or to HR because you hurt their feelings. In the Marines , your short, sweet and to the point. In civilian life you always have to cater to everyones feeling making sure everybody is all warm and fuzzy . FUK that! Semper Fi!

jetdawgg
06-07-07, 10:03 AM
The are no others like us Marines:usmc:

ggyoung
06-07-07, 11:05 AM
The last job I had was the best job I have had next to the Marines. That was underground coal mining. I worked with a lot of Vietnam vets mostley Marines and army grunts. At one time we had a meeting of just Vietnam vetrens, we talked about a lot of things, why we liked our jobs and such. We found out the the bigest reason we liked our jobs was, it put us on "liveing on the edge again". We could get that "adreneral high" that we got when our lives were on the line. About how we depended on everybody to do there job and watch you backs. This was really important if you were pulling pillers.

JinxJr
06-07-07, 11:19 AM
I agree 100 percent. Try working as an "army civilian" if you want new levels of frustration and disgust. Layer upon layer of mindless twaddle coupled with micromanagement to the 'nth' degree.

The only standard is, basically the fed gummint is the nations largest welfare provider. Doing anything except the bare minimum makes the OTHER 90 percent of the slugs in gummint LOOK BAD and is therefore discouraged at the highest levels LOL. No kiddin.

I've been a Department of the Army Civilian for 14 years and I delight in making these folks NUTS! When I was hired, I was the youngest guy in the section I work in but when the Supervisor retired a few years ago I got his job. There isn't anybody in this Directorate that doesn't know there's a Marine running one of the branch sections. Makes me love coming to work !

Sgt Leprechaun
06-07-07, 11:34 AM
Jinx, the wife always tells me, &quot;God help that place if they ever put YOU in charge!&quot; <br />
<br />
Sounds like you are livin the dream!

mamiehughes
06-11-07, 03:05 PM
OMG! I'm not alone! I was a WM but never a whyyyynnneeeee one. These civilian cry baby bia ches really get on my nerves. I've been in the civilian workforce for almost 13 years and when a woman cries to get her way it goes ALL through me. No pride and no self respect! I guess it goes back to that good ole traning!