PDA

View Full Version : Answering the Call...

thedrifter
06-05-07, 05:49 AM
Answering the Call...

Jun 04, 2007 - About half the Marines from Engineer Company "C" based in Peoria have been called to active duty.

They will train at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, and then attach with other Sixth Engineer Support Battalion Marines in California- before joining the battle in Iraq.

Today The Central Illinois Proud Families of Marines hosted a send-off dinner for the unit.

News 25's Jenny Li has more from the event.

For some of these Marines this is their first deployment overseas.

LCpl. A.J. Woodworth said, "It's my job, it's what I signed up to do, so that's what I'm going to do."

Among the group of freshman, is Tyler Ziegel's younger brother Zach.

Tyler was injured during his deployment with Charlie Company. In December of 2004 Sgt. Ziegel was hit by a roadside bomb.

LCpl. Zach Ziegel said, "We've heard the stories from the guys, what they've been through and obviously from my brother, what they've gone through, the good times, the rough times. But we're ready."

For others, this will be their third tour in Iraq. The hardest part, is telling their families they have to head back...

SSgt. A.J. Conrad said, "They know it's my job and they know this is something that I love to do, not necessarily the deployment part, but the Marine Corps. And being in the Marine Corps this is part of my job."

Maj. David Haney said, "I feel we need to do what we need to do. And to be honest I'll certainly miss my family very much. But I'm proud to be leading these men and women and we need to take care of what we need to do."

It's their sense of duty, and their belief in their code that compels many of them to answer the call... even if they're trying to hide their reluctance about going to war.

LCpl. Elias Hunerdosse said, "Just ready to go.

Jenny: And Come back?

Yeah, pretty much."

Cpl. Robert Thomas said, "I wasn't too excited at first to be honest with you. It was kind of hard for me, I have a daughter at home and I'm leaving a wife back there too. Basically, I can't leave my Marines to war."

LCpl. Andee Short said, "It's a lot of intense training, being away from your family, long days in the field but we're ready to get out there."

They will all tell you they're ready...

They're the few, the proud...and they are always faithful.

The Marines will have a final formation at the drill center on Wednesday, and fly to North Carolina Early Friday morning.

Ellie