PDA

View Full Version : Can I still be a Marine?

wannabe07
06-04-07, 01:46 PM
Well i'll talk about myself a little bit. I depped in on april 20th this year and i am shipping out to bootcamp on august 28th. last week i was playing basketball and i jumped up to block a shot. it...

Thefewtheproud
06-04-07, 01:51 PM
There is always next year marine. Use the extra time to build up more strength. You could always improve. Unles for leagal rights I'm sure you can re-enlist. :)

davecerami275
06-04-07, 02:33 PM
There is always next year marine. Use the extra time to build up more strength. You could always improve. Unles for leagal rights I'm sure you can re-enlist. :)
\

"there is always next year Marine" WTF are you talking about? Since when did a poolee earn the title Marine??? The title Marine is earned, not given.

original poster: rehab,,,, follow your doctors instructions. if possible during your rehab time get in the gym and work upper body (check with your doctor first). the ACL tear knocked you on your butt. it is time to stand up, dust off your britches and kick a$$ on rehab

GySgtRet
06-04-07, 03:25 PM
Ok here is what needs to happen:

Get physical therapy and document everything that is done from day one.

Make sure that your progress is also documented. This will come in very handy when you become physically qualified again whenever that will be.

Get to know what BUMED is they are the determining factor in whether or not you are physically qualified or not and when you can ship. Do not hang this on the recruiter or the Marine Corps BUMED is the authority for medical waivers they are Navy.

DO NOT BOO HOO about it suck it up. Do NOT brag about how you injured yourself, the Marine Corps doesn't want this to happen to any poolees. It is unfortunate that it has happened to you.

Get a prognosis after you are half way through therapy and let your recruiter know your progress, if he/she feels the poker is hot enough he/she will act on what you have done.

Make sure to get a letter from your PT your orthopedic doctor, whoever is involved in making you well again.

Simple follow it.

Gunny out

wannabe07
06-04-07, 11:31 PM
thanks a lot guys! ya when i told my recruiter he was talking to me as if i had no hope of ever re-enlisting.

davblay
06-05-07, 12:40 AM
thanks a lot guys! ya when i told my recruiter he was talking to me as if i had no hope of ever re-enlisting.

Never say never! The fact is that it may have caused you to miss this opportunity, but there will always be another ship. Get it fixed and show everyone that you have what it takes to be one of us! Suck it up and remember that chit happens, ain't nothing we can do about that. No one will think any less of you for it! You will just be a Marine Friend until you can DEP back in later, ok? Keep your moto and GIT R DONE! :beer:

Cash2053
06-05-07, 03:32 PM
I had the same issue and I still became a marine. My injury was not quite as severe as yours, but pretty much the same. I tore my MCL playing football while I was in the DEP. I was diqualified at MEPS. GYSgt. is right. Document everything you do. Get doctors recommendations that it is ok to enlist in the marine corps, you will have to be patient. It took me almost a year and a half to get approved after I fully recovered. Also run a PFT instead of an IST to send in your waiver package. You will be disqualified at MEPS, no question. They will probably recommend a waiver as they did in my case. Just give your recruiter all your documentation and get a first class PFT. It will look favorable in your waiver package. To get my package approved, I had to get my personal doctors recommendations that it was ok to enlist in the marine corps,run a PFT, and write a letter to congress about my case and why I want to become a marine. Again, be patient and stay motivated.