PDA

View Full Version : Geezers in the pool

rundegrun
06-02-07, 07:50 AM
I was wondering if there were any other "older" poolees on the forum, such as myself. I'm 27, married with one kid, who finally decided to listen to that little voice in the back of his head and join the Marine Corps (and yes, I got the wife's approval first, in fact she's the one that suggested Corps or nothing). To top off my "advanced age", I'm 6'4, and have a couple of tattoos on my back (nothing racy); I kinda dropped the whole "blend in, don't stand out" advice right out the window.

I see the potential for getting picked on a little more as an extra challenge to overcome, which will make graduation all the more fulfilling, and am definitely looking forward to Parris Island (I don't ship till the end of the year)

Anyone else in the same boat?

My name is Dan, and I'm a recovering Army contractor.

Kurby494
06-02-07, 08:18 AM
I was wondering if there were any other "older" poolees on the forum, such as myself. I'm 27, married with one kid, who finally decided to listen to that little voice in the back of his head and join the Marine Corps (and yes, I got the wife's approval first, in fact she's the one that suggested Corps or nothing). To top off my "advanced age", I'm 6'4, and have a couple of tattoos on my back (nothing racy); I kinda dropped the whole "blend in, don't stand out" advice right out the window.

I see the potential for getting picked on a little more as an extra challenge to overcome, which will make graduation all the more fulfilling, and am definitely looking forward to Parris Island (I don't ship till the end of the year)

wow! Good luck man. I thought i messed up by not goin right out of high school and I'm only 20. I hope you make it, you know what they say; better late than never.

rundegrun
06-02-07, 08:37 AM
wow! Good luck man. I thought i messed up by not goin right out of high school and I'm only 20. I hope you make it, you know what they say; better late than never.

Thanks.
The real kicker is that for my entire professional life, I've always been the youngest by many many years. This will definitely be a first for me.

davblay
06-02-07, 08:43 AM
PLease stand for the GRAND OLD MAN! I went thru Boot with a 28 year old! He was older than our DI's, done just fine, stayed with us all the way! You'll make it. :thumbup:

thedrifter
06-02-07, 08:50 AM

A DI I know from PI just got done with a platoon of older recruits which were mostly older than him...;)

Work hard and You will become that Marine...You are all treated as Recuits...age is no difference...

Ellie

rundegrun
06-02-07, 09:02 AM
Thanks Gunnery Sergeant.

And for anyone reading this that's contemplating joining at a later age with a family:
they WILL scrutinize your finances and the Mrs. HAS to sign a bunch of paperwork. I got a call, while at MEPS, from someone I was told was pretty high up, that wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving my wife and kid in the poorhouse with no food.

jimrod83
06-02-07, 09:29 AM
I'm still a wannabe(still have about 100lbs. to lose before I can DEP), but I'm going on 24. I've also got a fair number of tattoos(none that would show in a uniform though). I'm separated, with a son from someone else(previous relationship)whom I'm not custodial to, but I pay my support every week. What sort of paperwork woes do they put you through?

Marine84
06-02-07, 09:32 AM

That's funny as hell................sounds like you're joining AA or something.

Don't worry so much about your age - I was 23 when I went in - at your age you can handle the mental part of it with no problem. The hardest part for me was the physical part but the DIs work REALLY hard to put you in the mood for it ;) . Piece of cake dude - you'll make it through with no problem!

Good luck and keep reading through the forums - you'll already know a lot when you get there. You're in for the time of your life!

Marine84
06-02-07, 09:37 AM
I'm still a wannabe(still have about 100lbs. to lose before I can DEP), but I'm going on 24. I've also got a fair number of tattoos(none that would show in a uniform though). I'm separated, with a son from someone else(previous relationship)whom I'm not custodial to, but I pay my support every week. What sort of paperwork woes do they put you through?

It's the government honey - you'll fill out more paperwork than you ever will the rest of your life. It's just paperwork that will keep everything (money wise) rolling while you're gone. Your son won't miss out on the support - it usually takes a bit to kick in but after that you won't have to worry about it.

rundegrun
06-02-07, 09:42 AM

Not sure for seperations, they seemed to make a big deal out of whether I had any children that I wasn't currently living with or any illegitamate children / child support.

My wife had to write/sign/get notarized a letter that she understood what was going on and that she was fine with me serving (for those that are currently married, this is the point where you find out if your wife really supports you on this decision or not), and they needed the Social Security cards and birth certificates of both my dependents (even though my wife works and makes almost as much as I do, she's still considered a dependent).

Apparently the talking to you get from a high up regarding taking care of your dependents is routine. Not sure what they're going to say to you though.

My roommate at meps two weeks ago was also 24 with a boatload of tats, he's at Parris Island now.

Good luck on losing the weight! They were saying that for every pound over at meps, they delay retrying for a week! :scared:

jimrod83
06-02-07, 09:43 AM
That's good to know, because I still have a few things that I'm going to be paying on for years yet(support, lawyers bill from all the custody stuff, student loan, etc. etc. etc.)

What ARE the rules when it comes to tattooes and being in the military?

rundegrun
06-02-07, 09:47 AM
That's good to know, because I still have a few things that I'm going to be paying on for years yet(support, lawyers bill from all the custody stuff, student loan, etc. etc. etc.)

What ARE the rules when it comes to tattooes and being in the military?

Yeah they talk a lot about those too. I've got two, star of life on one shoulder (medic, first unselfish thing i ever did), zorak the praying mantis on the other. They specifically ask if the tats can be covered up with a t-shirt, and if they are offensive. The recruiters had to take pictures and send them in, and it's noted in your meps file, otherwise, that's pretty much it.

jimrod83
06-02-07, 09:53 AM
Hmm. define 'offensive'? everything I have can be covered up by a t-shirt and pants, though atleast one of them, while maybe not 'offensive', would probably fall into the 'shocking' category.(I'm stilling finishing it, but I've got chucky coming out of my left thigh)

rundegrun
06-02-07, 09:55 AM
That's funny as hell................sounds like you're joining AA or something.

Yeah I get more crap at work than anywhere for my decision not to go Army, especially since now the retired guys get a $2000 incentive to get people to sign up. It usually goes:

(enter Dan's boss )
**** WHAT'S THIS I HEAR YOU'RE GOING INTO THE F***ING MARINE CORPS??!

rundegrun
06-02-07, 09:57 AM
Hmm. define 'offensive'? everything I have can be covered up by a t-shirt and pants, though atleast one of them, while maybe not 'offensive', would probably fall into the 'shocking' category.(I'm stilling finishing it, but I've got chucky coming out of my left thigh)

I think it's more along the lines of naked women, or a tat that says "i rape children".. something along those lines. Have you seen a recruiter yet? They can usually tell you right there what'll fly.

MKinney
06-02-07, 10:03 AM
Good to hear you are joining. There were several "old timers" in my platoon at bootcamp and I never knew until the week before we graduated. They were some of the most awesome guys I knew, and were going infantry. It'll be a piece of cake if you are in shape, the mental aspect won't be hard.

Thanks Gunnery Sergeant.

And for anyone reading this that's contemplating joining at a later age with a family:
they WILL scrutinize your finances and the Mrs. HAS to sign a bunch of paperwork. I got a call, while at MEPS, from someone I was told was pretty high up, that wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving my wife and kid in the poorhouse with no food.

Oh and not to nit-pick, but it's Master Sergeant :nerd:.

rundegrun
06-02-07, 10:14 AM
Oh and not to nit-pick, but it's Master Sergeant :nerd:.

Oh crap, I swear that extra stripe wasn't there 5 minutes ago. :(

edit: see, cause, uh, the Master key on my keyboard was sticking..

MKinney
06-02-07, 10:17 AM
just wait until you are trying to see those things on someones collar haha.

rundegrun
06-02-07, 10:22 AM
just wait until you are trying to see those things on someones collar haha.

at least the "salute if it's shiny" rule will probably work.

It's a constant uphill battle at work now trying to determine who is Sir and who is *insert rank*, because the Army decided it'd be brilliant to put the rank on the center of the chest, right where your CAC card usually lands (if you wear it around your neck).

jimrod83
06-02-07, 10:22 AM
The recruiter called me the other day, but missed me(I was working, and out of my truck carrying a 400lb. stair into a house), and he was in a meeting when I returned his call.(They have my info because I did the ASVAB prep on a certain military website). I didn't even want to bother a recruiter, until I'd lost another 50lbs.+, because I know there isn't anything they can do, etc., that I'm wasting their time until I am actually in some form of shape.(update: I've lost 13lbs. in the 6days:worked out 5 times, and being strong on eating proper foods/portions)

rundegrun
06-02-07, 10:25 AM
The recruiter called me the other day, but missed me(I was working, and out of my truck carrying a 400lb. stair into a house), and he was in a meeting when I returned his call.(They have my info because I did the ASVAB prep on a certain military website). I didn't even want to bother a recruiter, until I'd lost another 50lbs.+, because I know there isn't anything they can do, etc., that I'm wasting their time until I am actually in some form of shape.(update: I've lost 13lbs. in the 6days:worked out 5 times, and being strong on eating proper foods/portions)

keep it up man! If you start finding that you're relaxing your workout schedule too much, let your recruiter know, and he'll help.

davblay
06-02-07, 10:27 AM
rundegrun (member.php?u=43183)----Yep, they say the eye sight is the first thing to go, when we get old!

bgsuwoody
06-02-07, 10:28 AM
How old is "older." This week hasn't been a great week for me feeling young, but I'm only the good ripe age of 22, but I have a 3 year difference between all the poolees at my RS so I'm the old guy.

bgsuwoody
06-02-07, 10:32 AM
keep it up man! If you start finding that you're relaxing your workout schedule too much, let your recruiter know, and he'll help.

I'll second this, but also add that if you hit a plateau to speak to your recruiter because mine continues to give me new workouts and routines to do. I just did pretty well on the IST today with 17 pullups, 111 Crunches, and a 9:38 mile and a half. All of this with a hangover ;) . I didn't start out close to this, and much like Achped I was one of the taller one's built like a stick, and in 3 months I have improved greatly.

Good luck with everything and keep it up, you'd be surprised how much these kind of stories motivate me to keep up my routine even more.

Kurby494
06-02-07, 10:44 AM

go see your recruiter anyways man. I went to my recruiters office about 107 pounds over and all the recruiters met me and i ended up being a guest at a few poollee functions. It was good because i made sure I put out during the PT and they were all really encouraging. Then fast forawrd a year and i show up 80 pounds lighter and they were all alot more impressed because they had seen me when i was heaviest. The point is go meet them now because even if you don't see them again for awhile, once you come into their RS after dropping weight (even if your still over) theyll see your motivation. And you can't waste their time because it's their job to get people into shape to join up, at least thats what Sgt. Brooks and Sgt. Candelario told me cuz i was the same way 8 months ago.

keep it up bro and youll get there. It just takes time.

motocarlo
06-02-07, 11:53 AM
Bro, I will turn 27 in boot!

I have 7 tattoos, and actually had to get one covered up b/c it had a slight hint of a female breast.

I'm in the gym six days a week, 3 days cardio, 3 days lifting and should be good to go by late September when I ship as far as fitness goes.

What M.O.S. are you going for?

jimrod83
06-02-07, 02:42 PM
If anatomical parts of a female are not allowed, I guess that makes me glad I decide NOT to get that ****na on my arm to cover up my soon-to-be ex-wife's name.

Don't worry about me slacking on the working out, If I think I'm not pushing myself hard enough, then I go for broke and max on everything.(I'm still getting certain joints used to walking/jogging, etc, and am not pushing my cardio/walking too hard, but then I'm doing nothing but hills when I do it, which makes 30min of walking fairly tough)

Kildars
06-02-07, 03:32 PM

Hi, Dan. *AA Meeting?* lol

Anyways, I will probably be deping in around your age. I have a hearing loss in my right ear and I've talked to some doctors and there is a lot of research going into being able to restore it. I was told 3-5 years, last year. I'm 20 now. So I will be in your boat :).

Also, for anyone who is interested. Sound Phatmaceuticals just completed Phase 1 of their clinical trials with the Army. It is a pill that you can take that prevents noise induced hearing loss (great for the military). Anyways, you can read more about it here. (http://www.prnewswire.com/news/index_mail.shtml?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-04-2007/0004499684&EDATE=)

HurricaneRJ
06-02-07, 04:37 PM
I started a new diet that is susppose make me loose 52lbs in 2.5 months. Its working for the first week. I've dropped 10lbs like it said I would, good thing is that my fat is going away and my pull-ups increased to 3 now and crunches maxed out.

Zulu 36
06-02-07, 04:42 PM
at least the "salute if it's shiny" rule will probably work.

It's a constant uphill battle at work now trying to determine who is Sir and who is *insert rank*, because the Army decided it'd be brilliant to put the rank on the center of the chest, right where your CAC card usually lands (if you wear it around your neck).

I think those rank jobbie-doos in the middle of the chest are just "insert bullet here" marks. :p

Kildars
06-02-07, 05:43 PM
I started a new diet that is susppose make me loose 52lbs in 2.5 months. Its working for the first week. I've dropped 10lbs like it said I would, good thing is that my fat is going away and my pull-ups increased to 3 now and crunches maxed out.

What diet is that?

HurricaneRJ
06-02-07, 07:33 PM
Its a really good diet. Its the grape fruit diet.

Breakfast
2 Eggs (any style)
2 pieces of Bacon
1/2 grapefruit or grapefruit juice

Lunch
Any meat (any kind, any style)
Salad (any dressing)

Dinner
Any meat (any kind, any style)
Cooked vegetables in butter (green, yellow, and orange only)

*Important
-Stuff yourself every meal, the more you eat the more you burn.
-Eat the bacon in the morning and the grapefruit. They start the burning process
-Any bevarage needs be diet(in my case, Corona Lite)
-Stay on for 12 days at a time, take two days off
-Don't cheat.
-Stay active and exercise.
-Drink plenty of beer.
-No bread, rice, or anything white.

jimrod83
06-02-07, 09:05 PM
hmm, sounds a bit like a southbeach/caveman/atkins/thurman diet, with a half a grapefruit every meal thrown in every meal to be your carbs.

jimrod83
06-02-07, 09:09 PM
I'm doing:
Protein shake for breakfast(low carb high fiber shake)
Two sandwiches throughout the day(Only a half a time. multigrain bread, mustard only, 1 slice of cheese, 3slices of meat(90 calories)
a serving to two servings of fish for dinner, with a side of steamed vegetables.

Total calories:1400-1700
Total weight lost in the last 6 days(including one day where I kinda cheated, and ate some stuff I shouldn't have, even though it didn't amount to too many calories)13lbs. Also, I drink 1-2gallons of water a day, take a multivitamin, and worked out 5 of those days.

HurricaneRJ
06-02-07, 09:16 PM
You should loose the weight quickly.

jimrod83
06-02-07, 10:28 PM
I'm also eating very little sodium, so the fluids go right on through me, taking all extra toxins, etc. Only down side? I'm sweating like a hog(no fatbody pun intended), from the lack of sodium. The upside? I fit into a pair of 46 inch jean shorts(semi-comfortably, just not quite as loose as I prefer)for the first time in probably 8yrs. or better.

jimrod83
06-02-07, 10:36 PM
ab workouts are leaving me a bit tight, so that I'm almost always flexing my stomach muscles, without even thinking about it most of the time.

sec9
06-02-07, 10:43 PM
Yeah I get more crap at work than anywhere for my decision not to go Army, especially since now the retired guys get a $2000 incentive to get people to sign up. It usually goes:

(enter Dan's boss )
**** WHAT'S THIS I HEAR YOU'RE GOING INTO THE F***ING MARINE CORPS??!

ahahah ur boss sounds like a nice guy....

HurricaneRJ
06-02-07, 10:44 PM
Thats sh!t news man. I've just recently tried on a size 40 and they actually fit. (my mom would be shocked because I'm usually wearing baggy clothes.) I was wearing 48s not to long ago.

jimrod83
06-02-07, 11:33 PM
Cool. Last year was the first time since I was 16 that I'd been under 300 lbs.(then home life got real sh***y, and I turned to good ole' comfort foods.) The smallest I've made since I was in highschool(freshman year at that, probably) is a 48, which are the semi-baggy shorts that I'm wearing right now.(bought them last summer, when my last pair of 50 jeans tore beyond repair)

rundegrun
06-03-07, 12:44 AM
Bro, I will turn 27 in boot!

I have 7 tattoos, and actually had to get one covered up b/c it had a slight hint of a female breast.

I'm in the gym six days a week, 3 days cardio, 3 days lifting and should be good to go by late September when I ship as far as fitness goes.

What M.O.S. are you going for?

I went up to the recruiter and said "give me something that can't possibly translate to a civillian job, like LAV crewman" and that's what i got!

0313!:D

rundegrun
06-03-07, 12:53 AM
forgot to add, I'll be a Reservist.. yeah yeah, weekend warrior, just like scumbag contractor, just like scumbag volunteer (firefighter... can't I ever do anything full time!??).

What MOS's are you guys going into, and Reserve or Active?

sec9
06-03-07, 01:08 AM
either 0811 or 1812 for me? I will worry about MOS later I just want to DEP right now.

jimrod83
06-03-07, 11:35 AM
I'm trying for 6000 series(just like the old man himself, if I went for a 0300 he'd kill me. literally.),though like /\sec 9, I need to worry more about getting physically fit enough to dep before I worry about how high I'm gonna score on the asvab(I'm just that good of a test taker, read the material guides for a few weeks before, and I'll ace it). I was also considering either 0200 or communications, but don't know all of what either entails.

Kildars
06-04-07, 09:03 PM
I'm doing:
Protein shake for breakfast(low carb high fiber shake)
Two sandwiches throughout the day(Only a half a time. multigrain bread, mustard only, 1 slice of cheese, 3slices of meat(90 calories)
a serving to two servings of fish for dinner, with a side of steamed vegetables.

Total calories:1400-1700
Total weight lost in the last 6 days(including one day where I kinda cheated, and ate some stuff I shouldn't have, even though it didn't amount to too many calories)13lbs. Also, I drink 1-2gallons of water a day, take a multivitamin, and worked out 5 of those days.

You lost 13lbs in six days?

Kildars
06-04-07, 09:05 PM
-Drink plenty of beer.

You joking? Beer has loads of calories.

bgsuwoody
06-04-07, 09:06 PM

And its really hard to work them off when you are drunk or hungover ;)

jimrod83
06-04-07, 09:45 PM
You lost 13lbs in six days?

;) Actually, it's more like 14.5lbs. in 7days. But I'll probably be another half to one lighter when I wake up. And no, I'm not worried about my kidneys or organs, I'm eating carbs(albeit, with fiber), and drinking just shy of 2gallons of water a day, so I don't have any toxicity problems. My biggest problem is when I'm stuck on the road with nowhere to drain the lizard, and I've got a good quart and a half of water in my system.

And no, it's not just water weight, though some probably is, I can already tell some of it's actual fat being burned.

Kildars
06-04-07, 11:13 PM
;) Actually, it's more like 14.5lbs. in 7days. But I'll probably be another half to one lighter when I wake up. And no, I'm not worried about my kidneys or organs, I'm eating carbs(albeit, with fiber), and drinking just shy of 2gallons of water a day, so I don't have any toxicity problems. My biggest problem is when I'm stuck on the road with nowhere to drain the lizard, and I've got a good quart and a half of water in my system.

And no, it's not just water weight, though some probably is, I can already tell some of it's actual fat being burned.

Hmm, interesting. I have good intentions when it comes to eating good. Never can stay with my diet though.. I just counter it with running a lot. I'm not fat, I just would like to lose some weight around my stomach area. :( So I just run run run run. Then lift weights.

davblay
06-05-07, 12:50 AM
Hmm, interesting. I have good intentions when it comes to eating good. Never can stay with my diet though.. I just counter it with running a lot. I'm not fat, I just would like to lose some weight around my stomach area. :( So I just run run run run. Then lift weights.

To start with you need to finish your profile! Having said that, Depending on your ship date, you can tighten up that stomach doing sit ups, crunches(whatever), squat thrust and such, ask your recruiter for a regime to help you out. But if you don't "LOSE THAT FLAB"(if that's what it is) it will go away in Boot Camp, trust me! The DI's know how to deal with all situations! That's what they do (besides making your life miserable)! :evilgrin:

HurricaneRJ
06-05-07, 02:49 AM

My mistake I meant water. I must have been drinking beer at the time.

Kildars
06-05-07, 04:33 AM
To start with you need to finish your profile! Having said that, Depending on your ship date, you can tighten up that stomach doing sit ups, crunches(whatever), squat thrust and such, ask your recruiter for a regime to help you out. But if you don't "LOSE THAT FLAB"(if that's what it is) it will go away in Boot Camp, trust me! The DI's know how to deal with all situations! That's what they do (besides making your life miserable)! :evilgrin:

I am not currently in DEP. My Status used to say "Marine Friend" one day without me doing it, it changed to Poolee Dep, I have asked some mods to change it for me but it was never done. I'll PM SSgt Nelson again. I was in DEP for a while until my medical waiver was denied. Thank you for the advice though ;). Always appreciated. I apologize for the confusion.

Kurby494
06-05-07, 05:08 AM

Yeah when your severely overweight the weight sheds really quick. I remember when i weighed 330 I was loosing like 20 lbs per month without significant dieting. Just cutting out soda and lots fo cardio. But once you get to be 50-30 lbs away from your goal it slows down alot and gets to be qnywhere from 1-5 lbs a week. But Jim you sound like you have the moto so just keep it up and youll be there within a year.

HurricaneRJ
06-05-07, 05:15 AM
The bigger you are, the easier it is to loose weight. People over 250lbs. Loose weight real quick, but under that, you have to do more and more to loose it. I'm loosing at least 3lbs a week now, instead of 7lbs when I first got here.

jimrod83
06-05-07, 07:04 PM
my biggest problem in the past has been consistency, I'd either diet hard/workout too hard starting, and either burn out or drop the diet(wifey did know how to cook, and never anything healthy when I was dieting), etc. I'm not letting anything getin my way nowadays. My goal is to be a poolee/dep by memorial weekend of next year. And I'm gonna make it, too. just you watch.

firebrick
06-05-07, 10:27 PM
I am 28, and leaving next month. 0311 reserve, us old timers have to stick together.

firebrick
06-05-07, 10:28 PM
Oh plus Ill turn 29 while in boot.

jimrod83
06-06-07, 08:12 PM
You just made me feel young, firebrick. thank you.