PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge

motocarlo
06-01-07, 11:28 AM
I just put together a little knowledge sheet, I thought it would be good to have it all in one place. It is pretty basic, but good to know before boot I guess. <br />
<br />
<br />
11 GENERAL ORDERS OF A SENTRY <br />
<br />

Marine84
06-01-07, 11:35 AM
JIIIIIIIIIIIIM!!!!! Make it STOP PLEASE!!!!!!!

CantWaitToSign
06-01-07, 11:39 AM
What do you mean make it stop?

Master Sephiroth
06-01-07, 11:44 AM
What is the unoffical 12th General Order, Carlo?

SgtHMH
06-01-07, 11:59 AM
12. Walk my post from flank to flank and take no chit from any rank.

Semper Fi

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 12:23 PM
when do you actually use our general orders?

LOG4
06-01-07, 12:36 PM
when do you actually use our general orders?

All the time in boot camp and every now and then in the Fleet ("Operating Forces"). Also when you move up in rank and get bored, you can "quiz" your Marines. When you are in the field, you realize that the General Orders make sense...

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 12:38 PM
All the time in boot camp and every now and then in the Fleet ("Operating Forces"). Also when you move up in rank and get bored, you can "quiz" your Marines. When you are in the field, you realize that the General Orders make sense...

How so? I mean for what in the field? patrols...What? I have a buddy who is a platoon Sergeant and he says i only need them in bootcamp

LOG4
06-01-07, 12:48 PM
How so? I mean for what in the field? patrols...What? I have a buddy who is a platoon Sergeant and he says i only need them in bootcamp

Okay, as a junior Marine, no matter what MOS you are, you will be pulled for extra duties like guard or whatever. Say you have a four-hour watch and at the fourth hour you realize your relief hasn't showed up. Well, just because you've been on duty for your time doesn't mean you can get up and leave. You can only quit your post only when properly relieved. That's when you start cursing... I've been in for over twelve years so far and I still use my General Orders. Yeah, you really use it in boot camp becuase you are tested on it. In the fleet you actually really apply it...

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 12:49 PM
Okay, as a junior Marine, no matter what MOS you are, you will be pulled for extra duties like guard or whatever. Say you have a four-hour watch and at the fourth hour you realize your relief hasn't showed up. Well, just because you've been on duty for your time doesn't mean you can get up and leave. You can only quit your post only when properly relieved. That's when you start cursing... I've been in for over twelve years so far and I still use my General Orders. Yeah, you really use it in boot camp becuase you are tested on it. In the fleet you actually really apply it...

thats the best advice i have ever heard.

LOG4
06-01-07, 12:55 PM
Thanks! Here's another... and please remember it:

In the Marine Corps, it is easier to get into trouble than to stay out of it. If you're doing something and that little voice in your head is telling you "this just doesn't seem/feel right" then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Pick the Marines you hang out with wisely.

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 12:56 PM
Meaning no tijauna trips huh?

rvillac2
06-01-07, 01:01 PM

Well, you are only officially tested on them in bootcamp. They ALWAYS apply, however.

We always have firewatches, gear guards, gate guards, and other misc guards. If your platoon in the fleet goes to chow and leaves their packs staged outside, they'll leave a guard. The sergeant might say, "Pvt Schmuck, watch our gear." At that point, the GENERAL orders apply. That means if you fail to man your post, you can be punished by command for not following orders!

Also, if you had me for your squad leader, guess how I pick who 'volunteers' for police calls or duty sections? That's right. Fall in and prepare for inspection. I may quiz you on general or MOS knowledge. If you fail to remember your stuff, you'll find yourself picking up trash around the base or manning a desk on Saturday night.

LOG4
06-01-07, 01:05 PM
Let me put it to you like this... There is nothing in TJ for you. TJ = Trouble. Not once in my twelve years have I gone to TJ. I've been asked a million times to go, but that little voice tells me it doesn't feel right. Marines (military personnel for that matter) are always getting into trouble there. Stay awa.

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 01:10 PM
so memorize them now.....zgot it....What am i tested on at bootcamp? i heard they have written tests?

LOG4
06-01-07, 01:12 PM
Memorize your General Orders, ranks... well, everything under "what you need to know before you go" part of your welcome aboard package. If your recruiter didn't give you one (he should have once you DEP'd in) then have him give you one.
The tests are multiple choice.

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 01:15 PM
i really just get this feeling im putting recruit trianing on this golden pedlestol and its not going to be anything like i think it is. Maybe i need to stop thinking and start practicing,...."push-ups ay sir, steam-enginies, ay sir, 1,2,3,1,2,3,2. "

bgsuwoody
06-01-07, 01:17 PM
Go to the Marine Mentor Forum and take a look at the "Recruit Knowledge" sticky and you will find a lot of stuff

rvillac2
06-01-07, 01:19 PM
Let me put it to you like this... There is nothing in TJ for you. TJ = Trouble. Not once in my twelve years have I gone to TJ. I've been asked a million times to go, but that little voice tells me it doesn't feel right. Marines (military personnel for that matter) are always getting into trouble there. Stay awa.

Hey, can anyone stationed in So Cal confirm this? I heard that non-rates were not allowed to go into Mexico on liberty without being accompanied by an NCO.

Not that NCO's are immune from getting their a$$ in trouble down there.

Stay away from TJ man. No good can come of it.

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 01:25 PM
How far can you go on weekend liberty?

TheBiggness
06-01-07, 01:30 PM
Meaning no tijauna trips huh?

You stay the hell away from there.

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 01:31 PM
You stay the hell away from there.

Why? Is it bad as everyone says it is?

TheBiggness
06-01-07, 01:45 PM
It's only the dirtiest place in Mexico, complete with watered down booze, crime and chicks with diseases that will make your dick explode.

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 01:47 PM
In that case i'll stay to LA girls

rvillac2
06-01-07, 01:57 PM
Keep your head in Recruit Training. If you get stationed at Pendleton after school, you'll have a good time in So Cal.

Marine84
06-01-07, 03:04 PM
How far can you go on weekend liberty?

You would be surprised......................OH! my bad you mean how far as in distance? You can do or go wherever you want but, it's a good idea to let someone in the unit know where you are.......................just in case.

I had a BLAST every time I went to MX! :banana:

249gunner
06-01-07, 06:59 PM
4. To repeat all calls [from posts]more distant from the guardhouse than my own.

Can someone plz explain this one to me?
What Im supposed to do...

Zulu 36
06-01-07, 07:19 PM
I agree with this. There is nothing there for most Marines, especially young and inexperienced Marines. The place is a snake pit looking for a victim to bite.

I've been to TJ several times, but I never saw the place until I was a sergeant, had been to WestPac twice (including Vietnam), AND only went with a sergeant friend of mine who was originally from Mexico. Of course he spoka da' lingo. We only went during the day and only went to the turista part of town to do some of his household shopping (tortilla presses, Mexican food spices, and such things like that). We never got drunk and only ate at one place my buddy trusted (we never got sick, but ate well). We always meant to take in a bull fight, but the logistics didn't work out.

Zulu 36
06-01-07, 07:24 PM
4. To repeat all calls [from posts]more distant from the guardhouse than my own.

Can someone plz explain this one to me?
What Im supposed to do...

This one dates, as they all do, from ancient history before telephones and radios.

Say Post #10 calls for the Corporal of the Guard, but Post #10 is a mile away from the Guard Shack. Post #9 picks up the call, "Corporal of the Guard to Post #10." Then Post #8 repeats it, etc, until the CoG hears the call and responds to Post #10.

249gunner
06-01-07, 07:47 PM
This one dates, as they all do, from ancient history before telephones and radios.

Say Post #10 calls for the Corporal of the Guard, but Post #10 is a mile away from the Guard Shack. Post #9 picks up the call, "Corporal of the Guard to Post #10." Then Post #8 repeats it, etc, until the CoG hears the call and responds to Post #10.

If I get a call Im supposed to repeat it to some post down the line?
I get the idea, just need a confirmation, Im not taking any chances if I get myself in such a situation.

thx

Zulu 36
06-01-07, 08:02 PM
If I get a call Im supposed to repeat it to some post down the line?
I get the idea, just need a confirmation, Im not taking any chances if I get myself in such a situation.

thx

This will be explained to you in boot camp, but essentially, if any post makes a verbal call, ALL posts repeat it. You'll never go wrong repeating a call from any post. Afterall, the CoG may not be in the Guard Shack, he might be checking posts and be at the other end of things.

When I stood CoG in boot camp and the post along the Navy boot camp fence caught two swabbies going UA, I heard the call for the CoG repeated all over the place by everyone. It was like an echo chamber and the Sgt of the Guard (our Kill Hat) was well pleased with everyone and said so.

Marinewannabe15
06-01-07, 11:16 PM
I just learned all the gen. orders yesterday...the 4th and 6th always got me but I know them like the back of my hand now.

20070709MCRDSD
06-29-07, 12:34 AM
I just wanted to say.......BUMP.

coffeecoven
06-29-07, 01:26 AM
I REMEMBER GETTING LETTERS AT MAIL CALL, WITH S.W.A.K. ECT. ON THEM. THEN HEARING MY D.I. YELLING, "WHAT IS THIS CODE, ARE YOU
SOME KIND OF AN AGENT, HERE TO F*** UP MY PLATOON?" IT COST ME
TEN PUSH UPS FOR EACH ALPHABET. I HAD TO ASK MY GIRLFRIEND TO STOP
WITH THE ALPHABETS OR STOP WRITTING :I wasn't trying to become no
push up champion!

20070709MCRDSD
06-29-07, 01:36 AM
lol

coffeecoven
06-29-07, 01:47 AM
Damn, I Just Replied In The Wrong Thread. Sorry ---hope My Mistake
Is Heplfull Some How.----guess It's Time For This Old Salt To Get
Some Shut Eye.

Semper Fi

20070709MCRDSD
06-29-07, 01:53 AM
Why should we know the 13th commandant?

bgsuwoody
06-29-07, 02:00 AM
Why should we know the 13th commandant?

Because he was Major General John Archer Lejeune also known as "The Greatest of All Leathernecks" appointed in 1920 and his major accomplishments as Commandant of the Marine Corps included
1. Guiding the Corps towards an amphibious assault role
2. He established the Marine Corps Institute
3. He established the Company Grade Officer's School and the Field Grade Officer's School
4. Organized Headquarters Marine Corps

His birthday message is also read at the celebration of the Marine Corps Birthday every year.

rvillac2
06-29-07, 03:08 AM
Damn, Woody's got his sh_t wired.