PDA

View Full Version : Clarification...

HunterWPIChE
05-31-07, 07:59 PM
Last summer I was very close to enlisting. Then I decided that college was my priority. I am back from my first year at college, and i am having a change of heart. I have always said to myself "one day I will join the military." I think joining the Marine Corp would be the way to realize this dream. This post is essentially asking for confirmation that my understanding is correct re the following.

A job in Recon (0321) seems like perhaps a "longterm"goal, but I am also interested in the 02xx and 13xx fields. A job in the 03xx field other than 0321 would also be fine. This is my understanding:

I would sign an Active Duty contract, with a guarentee of either a 02xx, 13xx, or 03xx job (pending quota availability with the recruiter). I would attend Boot camp. Then I would attend the School of Infantry and be trained in my assigned job, for example 0311, or 0241, or 1361, depending on where the Corp needed me and what field I was guarenteed. If I then felt so inclined, and was able, I could attempt a lateral move to the 0321 job by attending 0321 Indoc, etc. Is this all correct (I am not so much concerned about the specific process of making such a "lateral move," since that would be putting the cart before the horse; I have yet to even enlist, much less survive boot, etc.).

In addition, would one of those 3 fields, 02xx, 03xx, or 13xx be better to feed into the 0321 job?

Thank you in advance for your responses; any and all input is greatly appreciated as it will help me come to a decision about my future.

sgt tony
05-31-07, 09:15 PM
IF you enlist and make it through boot camp. You will need to be a 03 to do the lat move you are talking about if you go 02 or 13 they will have to much training and school that it would be unlikely to lat to 0321. You may be able but very slim.

Sgt D
06-01-07, 02:20 AM
Yes, If you go 03XX you will be able to take the recon screening in SOI. If you go 13XX you would still have a good chance to take the screening but you would have to wait a few years. If you went 02XX you will more than likely not be able to take the screening. Lat moves are based on avalibility alot like picking your MOS upon enlistment, but the kicker is it's hard to lat move to a field with alot of people, and it's hard to lat move out of a field with few people. Recon and Intel (02XX) are both low on people.