PDA

View Full Version : Grunts

SeanWicks07
05-31-07, 05:52 PM
All Grunts Speak up. Whats the best thing about being a grunt? Whats the promotion rate like? Barracks? Field life? Weapons? Tell me how it is like to me a grunt. Im stoked, but give me a general idea.

chili77bowl
05-31-07, 06:40 PM
Dude, here's the stuff.

When you hear someone say, "I worked WITH the grunts."
They are lying out their teeth.

NO ONE works with the grunts, they work FOR the grunts.

Promotion is slow, unless you are 0321.
Barracks are the worst, cause they want you away from other people as much as possible to avoid the fights.

Your average day is PT, sit around waiting on "the word", lunch, Sit around waiting for "the word", formation, "the word"

my advice to you is this,
1. PT. Alot! More than you are now. it only helps when you are humping.
2. Don't cry. Grunts are mean, especially to each other, if you show weakness, they laugh, point, and harrass you...but it makes you tougher.
3. Don't EVER talk to your Sgt about a personal problem without FIRST going to your team leader/Sqd leader.
4. Don't quit. If the humps get long and hard, don't give up your gear.
5. Remember, you signed up to do a dirty job. It's NOT a video game, it's NOT a movie, it's real. You may be called to kill. You may be asked to go into harms way. This is what you signed up for. Forget about the college benifits, you don't have that much time to take classes. Use them when you get out.

SeanWicks07
05-31-07, 07:07 PM
Dude, here's the stuff.

When you hear someone say, "I worked WITH the grunts."
They are lying out their teeth.

NO ONE works with the grunts, they work FOR the grunts.

Promotion is slow, unless you are 0321.
Barracks are the worst, cause they want you away from other people as much as possible to avoid the fights.

Your average day is PT, sit around waiting on "the word", lunch, Sit around waiting for "the word", formation, "the word"

my advice to you is this,
1. PT. Alot! More than you are now. it only helps when you are humping.
2. Don't cry. Grunts are mean, especially to each other, if you show weakness, they laugh, point, and harrass you...but it makes you tougher.
3. Don't EVER talk to your Sgt about a personal problem without FIRST going to your team leader/Sqd leader.
4. Don't quit. If the humps get long and hard, don't give up your gear.
5. Remember, you signed up to do a dirty job. It's NOT a video game, it's NOT a movie, it's real. You may be called to kill. You may be asked to go into harms way. This is what you signed up for. Forget about the college benifits, you don't have that much time to take classes. Use them when you get out.

That gives me warm fuzzies.

mrbsox
05-31-07, 07:17 PM
Define GRUNT

0311, 0321, 0331, 0341, 0351(52)

At first glance, most consider anything in the 03 field a GRUNT. I'm an 0341, mortarman. In my case, 81mm.

I don't consider myself a TRUE grunt, but will answer to the title. By definition the mortars are SUPPORT, but so are machineguns (31s) and anti-tank assault (51s, 52s). In actual practice ALL are used as needed to fulfill the Marine doctrine.

Outside Najaf, (2004?) it was an 0341 platoon enduring most of the fighting in the cemetary as we were clearing the way for the Iraqis to take back control of the mosque.

So ALL will need to know the 0311 doctrine... 'close with and destroy the enemy...'

A days routine ??
In the field or garrison ??

In the field, hump and train all day and night. eat, sleep, change socks, pi$$ and crap when you can. Over and Over.
Oh... and dig and fill in fighting positions (not fox holes).

In garrison, clean and learn. Close order drill and Fk Fk games. PT
Rake the sand
Water the grass (in the rain)
Clean weapons
Prepare for inspection
Again
Over and Over

What's it like ?? For me, the field was what it meant to be a Marine. Others hated it.
I hated garrison, but others loved it. You'll have to decide for yourself.

mrbsox
05-31-07, 07:19 PM
That gives me warm fuzzies.

Be sure and tell your Drill Instructor, that he gives you "WARM FUZZIES" :D

SeanWicks07
05-31-07, 07:25 PM
Be sure and tell your Drill Instructor, that he gives you "WARM FUZZIES" :D i'll pass

Phantom Blooper
05-31-07, 07:49 PM
I'm a GRUNT 0311..Retired a GRUNT0369...and I (NOT a female sheep) would be very interested in what your definition of WARM & FUZZIES exactly are ???? :evilgrin:

rvillac2
05-31-07, 07:49 PM
i'll pass
The words you're looking for are "Aye, Aye, Sir!"

Marine84
05-31-07, 09:27 PM
I'm a GRUNT 0311..Retired a GRUNT0369...and I (NOT a female sheep) would be very interested in what your definition of WARM & FUZZIES exactly are ???? :evilgrin:

LOL! I had to wipe my monitor off AGAIN!

SeanWicks07
05-31-07, 10:37 PM
i was out with a corporal once and he told me going to iraq gave him warm fuzzies. not the kind when your about to get laid by some stripper during leave but a feeling like your oding something that is worth the life you have been given. so i have been using it

Sgt D
06-01-07, 02:06 AM
The greatest part about being in a line platoon in a victor unit (0311 in a deployable unit) is knowing that everyone in the Corps is there to "SUPPORT" you. If there were no line platoons there would be no Marine Corps. Being the heart and soul of the green machine gives you a certain sense of pride that no other Marine could ever have.

Yes, life will really suck until you pick up Cpl, then it will just suck. But it is worth the hassell. Grunts get payed to walk around in the great outdoors and shoot sh!t. What more could you want. Ask to be the SAW Gunner when you get to the fleet. No 0311 can be a good leader in the infantry if he doesen't know how to use the M249, being a gunner is the best and fastest way to learn it.

killerinstinct
06-01-07, 07:48 AM
you also have to have a very big ego is another requirement judgin on the 03's i have met and as you can see how they refer to POG's.

wheres my **** stirring stick im need the big one for this???

Marine84
06-01-07, 08:15 AM
How many times have I told you Killer? DON'T POKE THE BEAR!

Quinbo
06-01-07, 11:02 AM
Many is the time we were not given liberty at the same time as the cannon cockers, bb stackers, pencil pushers, shame train riders, chow slingers, bomb droppers, box counters, brown nosers, pogues, desk jockeys ect. Mainly because there might be a small disagreement somewhere along the way. Liberty was eventually granted because the cold water in the rain room wouldn't take the war paint off and they didn't serve beer in the chow hall.

killerinstinct
06-01-07, 12:09 PM
exvrpy is the case on ship when most grunts are on their down time snapping in while we work 14 hour shifts and most ordies never see a chow hall for lunch as you are always busy.....

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 12:20 PM
29 palms, Pendleton, or Lejuene for a grunt?

killerinstinct
06-01-07, 12:27 PM
youll like the pool in 29 palms but thats bout it that and palm trees and the only green lawn is the general's....

Camp pendleton GET A CAR!!!!!!!! Its the largest friggin base in the world takes you probably 45 minutes to get from san onofre to mainside it sucks.. BUt probably better of the 2 on the west coast...

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 12:31 PM
I have a motorcycle and someone told me i had to get a motorcycle endorsement from pendleton? Do you know anything about that? I heard surfing is good on Pendleton too, servicemen and women only beaches with perfect waves?

killerinstinct
06-01-07, 12:38 PM
well theres a lot of beach on pendloton takes up all of it the waves??? eh they are nothing like santa cruz or northern cali but if you from southern cali you woill like them.

Well you arent allowed to drive till you get an indoc and get your drivers improvemnt and have to take a motorcycle safety course and get briefed on why you have to wear a road guard vest whenever you use your bike which isnt optional either.

So basically till you get close to the fleet you wont be able to own a POV while in school status. Some schools will give you the course it depends on the length of ur school etc and where you are at..

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 12:40 PM
So basically a no go until i am in the fleet? Once i am in the fleet how do i go about going to that course?

Quinbo
06-01-07, 12:56 PM
Go to the front gate of whatever base you end up on and talk to PMO .... the orientation course is a lark and generally is held weekends... just a check in the box if you know how to ride a bike.

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 01:01 PM
Grunts have the most fun right? What do the women in south cali think about the grunts?

rvillac2
06-01-07, 01:11 PM
LOL...Sean. You don't wear your MOS on your chest (not like the army).

Everyone down here likes Marines. Especially if you cruise around the OC (Orange County). When El Toro was active, the Wingers got just as much action as the grunts from Pendleton. ; )

Fun with the grunts? Like beauty, fun is in the eye of the beholder.

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 01:13 PM
Thanks for reminding me. Ill just get some grunt tattoo lol

killerinstinct
06-01-07, 02:41 PM
well there are also alot that dont like Marines

SeanWicks07
06-01-07, 08:02 PM
Its kind of like being in a Frat isnt it?

Phantom Blooper
06-01-07, 08:17 PM

I wouldn't use the word frat. I think the better word would be Brotherhood. ALL Marines are a band of brothers (& sisters). They will defend you to the death if need be. A fraternity,isn't that way. Marines in general are unique creatures of the land,air and sea. Grunts need the support of all the sister MOS's to do the job properly.Without those in support of the infantry the mission woud still be accomplished but it would be much more difficult.

I was never in a frat..but,years back I went to a frat party. Marines :banana: by far can throw a better blast than a college frat!

:evilgrin:

Marine84
06-01-07, 08:17 PM

OOPS! Incoming.....................................

Nothing like a "frat"!

Marine84
06-01-07, 08:19 PM
Marines :banana: by far can throw a better blast than a college frat!

:evilgrin:

I KNOW that's right!

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-01-07, 10:46 PM
I did the frat thing (Pike if you're curious) and it is nothing the same. I don't know of one frat brother that would take a bullet for me and I know I wouldn't or them. But, I trust that every person on this site with stripes or bars under there name would, and I know I would for them.

rvillac2
06-02-07, 12:10 AM
LOL.. FRAT? Would you call your country a c-u-n-t?

I am a proud Sigma Phi Epsilon Alumni Brother and a United States Marine. The Corps made me a warrior, the fraternity made me a gentleman and a scholar. My fellow Marines are right. The two are not alike.

My college fraternity brothers are some of my best friends and best business associates. However, there is an invisible yet very noticeable bond between Marines and even veterans in general. We swore an oath to protect the country and most of us welcomed the chance to kill someone or die in the course of that duty. Only those of us who have donned a uniform and picked up a weapon can really appreciate that sense of committment.

I had the honor and privilege of enjoying the company of hundreds of veterans today. I ride with the Patriot Guard and we attended the funeral of Joe Anzack, the soldier who was captured recently and found later. Being a part of that Brotherhood (including the sisters) is something that can only be experienced, not spoken of.

Lastly, guess who is also a Sigma Phi Epsilon Brother? General James T. Conway, Commandant, United States Marine Corps.
OOHRAH.

chili77bowl
06-04-07, 10:11 PM
29 palms, Pendleton, or Lejuene for a grunt?

Twenty Nine Palms, dude...

Pray for 3/4 or 1/7...I'm a little biased...

29 is the greatest place to EVER get stationed!

Zippo
06-05-07, 10:23 PM

Everyone says different things about 29 Palms. Let's just say that some Marines dare to speak otherwise.

CPLGRAY90-94
06-06-07, 07:00 PM
Sean, You will have no problem hooking up with girls in So. Cal. They love Marines. Infact, get ahold of these two girls, they'll hook you up. Karen kurash and dori beeler in Huntington beach and costa mesa. Try the Pier ST. annex (its a club) or the austrailian beach club ( not sure if they are still running or not) Look them up in the phonebook. Anyway, let me know what you run into down there. Lata!

rvillac2
06-06-07, 10:17 PM
Ya, too late.
I married Karen, you bastard!

CPLGRAY90-94
06-06-07, 10:22 PM
Right on!! Does she still have that wart?? I could never get over her lisp. Oh, and how is my son doing?? hahaha!

rvillac2
06-07-07, 01:27 AM
Right on!! Does she still have that wart?? I could never get over her lisp. Oh, and how is my son doing?? hahaha!

Kabar took care of the wart.

I like making her say "oooh, take that poothy!"

Son is doing fine. Transgender operation went ok. Your daughter's new name is AMANda.

:banana:

Ceya
08-16-07, 12:32 PM

ahh the Stumps, Camp Wilson..Not for me.

I had fun going to the field but outside of that.

Rolling Thunder 3/4 fun cats to be with.

1/7 applies the same.

To all the other units there 3rd LAR ( Wolf Pack), 2/7, 3/7, 1st Tanks, Delta AAVs, The Rhinos ( the wing). Life was ok.

that lake.. the smell still haunts me.

S/F,
CEYA!

Marine84
08-16-07, 06:53 PM
Kabar took care of the wart.

I like making her say "oooh, take that poothy!"

Son is doing fine. Transgender operation went ok. Your daughter's new name is AMANda.

:banana:

I've been laughing for 15 minutes!

rvillac2
08-16-07, 07:27 PM

Thank you..thank you very much. I'm here all week.

SkilletsUSMC
08-18-07, 01:27 AM
All Grunts Speak up.

This sounds like youre barking an order. Watch your tone.

Covey_Rider
08-18-07, 05:50 AM

I'm with you there...I can't stop laughing either. I'm waiting for the family photo album to come out!

Marine84
08-18-07, 07:09 AM
See Poolees - Grunts are fun to hang out with but, be verrrrrrry careful drinking with them (and this is why I don't) because they can come up with some reallllllllly weirded out $h!t to do with the drunkest one of the bunch. You could wake up at the top of the flagpole in front of HQ the next morning - whomever would be pulling Colors would have to pull YOU down before running the flag up!

And RV - post the family pics man! I'm curious how Amanda's surgery came out.

sparkie
08-18-07, 07:39 AM
More like how the surgery came off.

Marine84
08-18-07, 09:04 AM
More like how the surgery came off.

LOL!

Accord
08-22-07, 10:26 PM
All Grunts Speak up. Whats the best thing about being a grunt?
*crickets*

*crickets*

Honestly, the best part about being a grunt is just having the pride in the fact that you're a grunt, you are literally the tip of the spear and the history books 50 years from now will be written about you. Other than that, being a grunt absolutely sucks, 99.9999% of the time you will be absolutely miserable, but that's what's so good about the grunts.