PDA

View Full Version : Will I ever be classified as a "Poolee?"

Biles
05-26-07, 02:38 PM
Since I'm going to NROTC in college straight out of high school I'll never be in MEPS or anything. Would I be considered a Poolee after I take my Acceptance and Oath of Office on the first day of college since I've signed the forms and committed to the Marines then, or would I just jump straignt to Marine after college? (Yes, I know that's a long time away. I was just curious.)

Kildars
05-26-07, 07:33 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to go to MEPS, or something similar and pass a physical exam to be in ROTC. The Marine Corps holds their officers to higher standards than the enlisted men. They wouldn't just let anyone join ROTC.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-26-07, 07:41 PM
Unless you enlist you are not a poolee. You will be a midshipman, which is something totally different.

Biles
05-27-07, 01:22 PM
Unless you enlist you are not a poolee. You will be a midshipman, which is something totally different.

There should be a Midshipman option for this site then...

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-27-07, 01:25 PM
No, but there should be far less complaining by wannabes!

Honestly, why does it matter? You can come and post any questions you have without problem. Does a picture of someone doing pushups really mean anything more than a picture of a flag?

HurricaneRJ
05-27-07, 01:26 PM
Well this Pool(ee) section is sponsored by 1-800-MARINES.

Recruiters don't go out and look for potential officer candidates. Thats something the individual himself must look upon themselves. The only thing you will find around here is information about boot camp not OCS.

look for "Grunts military cadet forums" on google and you will find midshipman and Marines on there that is specifically pertaining on how to become an officer.

Biles
05-27-07, 02:04 PM

Honestly, why does it matter? You can come and post any questions you have without problem. Does a picture of someone doing pushups really mean anything more than a picture of a flag?

Well it just seemed to me that since there was such a big deal on these forums about having all of this accurate account information and filling out your profile completely that they might want a category for everyone in order to accurately reflect who everyone is in relationship to the Corps...

Marine84
05-27-07, 02:43 PM
Well it just seemed to me that since there was such a big deal on these forums about having all of this accurate account information and filling out your profile completely that they might want a category for everyone in order to accurately reflect who everyone is in relationship to the Corps...

Take it up with a Moderator! You'll see there will be a lot of things that the Corps does that will not always meet YOUR needs.

mrob03
05-27-07, 03:54 PM
A good website for potenital officers is www.marineocs.com

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-27-07, 06:38 PM
The only thing you will find around here is information about boot camp not OCS.

That isn't true. We know much more about the enlisted side but we've found and passed on information for many future officers.

Honestly, the reason I don't care about having an icon and status for future officers because as an ROTC cadet/midshipmen, you are not tied to the Corps. You are in the Navy ROTC. If there was a Marine Corps ROTC I may think there should be a change.

All of that said, if it really bothers someone then I think their priorities may be out of line. I can honestly say that if my chevrons were replaced by a picture of someone doing pushups, I wouldn't care. I know what I am.

Master Sephiroth
05-27-07, 06:50 PM

No it seriously does not. A rank means more though.

To the OP: Once you've earned your rank, you can post it. For now, enjoy the Old Glory as an avatar

tuna quesadilla
05-27-07, 08:58 PM
A good website for potenital officers is www.marineocs.com (http://www.marineocs.com)

Here's another vote for www.marineocs.com. It's been a great resource for me.

Biles
05-28-07, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the links and your input! It is appreciated.

thedrifter
05-29-07, 06:50 AM

Food for Thought...

This is a MARINE Site....

These Marines come in here to help folks to understand what a Marine is.

You should be Greatful for all their input, not complaining about petty stuff..

Now since You are a Guest in there home, I would not push Your Welcome mat from under Your feet;)

Ellie