PDA

View Full Version : Huey/Osprey Crew Chief

enervate242
05-23-07, 10:52 PM
I'm not a poolee, but this seems to be the place to go to ask questions, so:

Got out last year, currently planning on doing some school and then going back in, this time career. I have always wanted to fly for the Corps, but I'll be too old for the flight program by the time I would be eligible for it (i.e. PLC done and bachelor's earned). I still want to work with helos, however, so crew chief is currently my second option. I'm wondering if anyone working said MOS can give me their honest opinion about it--as a former 0352, I have very little experience with the air wing and was always too busy grabbing my pack or running up and down ramps to talk to aircrew types. Is it worth making a career in, or is it nothing but 18-hour days, uniform inspections, and other misc. pogue bull**** (as some former aircraft mechanics have led me to believe)? That would of course depend on the particular unit and the leadership, but I'm wondering anyway.

The other thing I'd like to know about is the current enlistment track for crew chiefs. What are the chances of getting stuck as a C-130 loadmaster or some other boring job? (I'm more interested in anything to do with CAS or CASEVAC, not running cargo back and from between Kuwait and TQ.) Hueys would be my first choice, with the Osprey coming in second.

Since the MV-22 is replacing the CH-53's and 46's, are maintenance personnel for those aircraft no longer being trained? Answers from a recent graduate or a knowledgeable recruiter would be much appreciated.

Oh, and no question of reenlistment eligibility. I'm 24 and got out RE-1, 2nd class swim qual, and 1st class PFT.

rvillac2
05-23-07, 11:15 PM
Welcome home, Daniel. Semper Fi.

enervate242
05-23-07, 11:29 PM
Thanks. : )

killerinstinct
05-24-07, 10:21 AM
u usually find out what kind of aircraft you will work on after ur A school in pensacola and get sent somewhere lemoore was for me to learn f-18's and the helos were down at camp pendleton and from there you get to the fleet.