PDA

View Full Version : My neighbor was a Drill Instructor

Motorola07
05-22-07, 09:55 PM
My neighbor was a drill instructor at Paris Island.. Well sort of my neighbor, he lives 3 houses down.. Just talked to him 20 mins ago and he was telling me all about it.. He said he just found out I joined the Marines, and wanted to come over and congratulate me on it and wish me luck..

He asked when I ship out and said he wants to take me out next Tuesday to the gun range and said he wants to teach me BRASS?

He kept telling me to keep my mouth shut and pay attention... Don't ever b!tch, because if you b!tch, you will always be on duty...

I believe he is in his 60's.. Not for sure but I believe so.

HurricaneRJ
05-22-07, 09:58 PM
It's great to speak to vets of any branch, but meeting a D.I. is special. (When he is off the drill field of course.)

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-07, 10:00 PM
I have no idea what BRASS is, but pay attention to what the man tells you. Old Corps DIs helping you out before boot camp is a pretty good deal.

Motorola07
05-22-07, 10:02 PM
From way it put it on BRASS. He kept telling me breathing, trigger fire and something else... I'll let you know what he told me next tuesday when we go out...

MKinney
05-22-07, 10:03 PM
Breath, Relax, Aim, Sight, Squeeze.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-07, 10:05 PM
dadgumit, you're right. I don't know if they ever taught us that it was "BRASS" but I have heard and said those words countless times.

Motorola07
05-22-07, 10:08 PM
Theirs the words of wisdom...

Going to ask a lot of questions with him... He keeps telling me how lucky i am that theres no more hitting in Boot camp

MKinney
05-22-07, 10:12 PM
Oh they still hit, probably not as bad as they use to do it. It's more of a "stealthy" when no officers are looking sucker punch kinda deal.

yellowwing
05-22-07, 10:22 PM
A Drill Instructor? Maybe he wants to get you out there to teach:
Because
Recruits
Are
Silly
Sods

:banana:

Seriously, go out and have fun and keep your ears open.

Integrity57
05-22-07, 10:23 PM
I was told it can get rough when the recruits go up north for the Crucible from MCRD SD. But only if you screw up.

Thatcher
05-22-07, 10:30 PM
I was told it can get rough when the recruits go up north for the Crucible from MCRD SD. But only if you screw up.

I was told it can get rough at anytime...

haha

Kildars
05-22-07, 10:33 PM
I also heard that hitting still goes on, I think that it's good. When you're in combat the enemy is going to yell at you. I think sometimes recruits need to be smacked into place. The threat of a physical punishment is a much stronger influence than a vocal punishment. When I go through MCRD if I mess up I will expect a Drill Instructor to put me in place.

USMC90
05-22-07, 10:36 PM
I also heard that hitting still goes on, I think that it's good. When you're in combat the enemy is going to yell at you. I think sometimes recruits need to be smacked into place. The threat of a physical punishment is a much stronger influence than a vocal punishment. When I go through MCRD if I mess up I will expect a Drill Instructor to put me in place.

You say that now as you sit in you're chair in front of a computer. You might change you're mind when it's really happening to you.
:p

HurricaneRJ
05-22-07, 10:38 PM
Guys, hitting is not allowed.

Thumping on the other hand.......Go find out.

rvillac2
05-22-07, 11:12 PM
Breath, Relax, Aim, Sight, Squeeze.

Good job, Matt. How'd you shoot today?

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-23-07, 12:38 AM
Guys, hitting is not allowed.

That is exactly correct. Hitting a recruit is against the rules, and we all know a DI would never violate a rule like that. It is shameful to degrade the name of find NCOs like that. :evilgrin:

;) ;)

davblay
05-23-07, 12:51 AM
When you are somewhere away from ther main stream, you fug up, the DI gets eyeball to eyeball with you, he's talking and nodding his head, the brim of his Smokey is thumping you across the bridge of your nose------ or he turns quickly and his elbow "Accidently" hits your gut------he accidently trips over you (his boot in your side) as you are doing push ups------the butt of your rifle hits you in the jaw, gut or groin when he takes it from you during inspection arms---- No he wouldn't violate the rules---but accidents happen, right Marines? :evilgrin:

Besides, it's called personal motivation!

CBRN5711Tech
05-23-07, 12:53 AM
Okay, but are the recruits still able to give blanket parties?

davblay
05-23-07, 12:57 AM

ABSOLUTLELY NOT!! ;););)

MKinney
05-23-07, 01:04 AM
ah blanket parties. I myself only witnessed it happen once, but heard there were more. Guy got caught with gatorade (his lips were bright red) in his canteens. I believe he got two. The DIs made him chug almost 4 full canteens of gatorade and he spewed like Old Faithful, except red in color.

Oh and shot 226 today.

davblay
05-23-07, 01:11 AM
ah blanket parties. I myself only witnessed it happen once, but heard there were more. Guy got caught with gatorade (his lips were bright red) in his canteens. I believe he got two. The DIs made him chug almost 4 full canteens of gatorade and he spewed like Old Faithful, except red in color.

Oh and shot 226 today.

PFC, that was not a blanket party, it was motivation!! Blanket parties (CODE REDS) are not allowed!! Didn't you watch 'A FEW GOOD MEN?"

MKinney
05-23-07, 01:18 AM
Oh you're right. Recruits wouldn't DARE do it :P
Lets call it a little Midnight motovation

davblay
05-23-07, 01:23 AM
Oh you're right. Recruits wouldn't DARE do it :P
Lets call it a little Midnight motovation

You're learning PFC :thumbup: CYOA!

chrisathey1989
05-23-07, 07:59 AM
You guys may think I'm an idiot, but what is a blanket party? I haven't heard anything about that.

HurricaneRJ
05-23-07, 08:13 AM
Full Metal Jacket.

Go watch it, you will figure it out.

chrisathey1989
05-23-07, 08:17 AM
okay I'll go rent that tonight.

Old Marine
05-23-07, 09:07 AM
A "Blanket Party" is right before the "Short Sheet Party".

Hitting is not allowed by the SOP, and besides hitting is for sissys.

Now THUMPING, that is another story.

davblay
05-23-07, 09:19 AM
A "Blanket Party" is right before the "Short Sheet Party".

Hitting is not allowed by the SOP, and besides hitting is for sissys.

Now THUMPING, that is another story.

I once saw a recruit with a bruise shaped like a combination padlock on his cheek! They say he had em all over his body! I never asked!!!!! The dude graduated as a PFC though!

napalm
05-23-07, 11:10 AM
When my friend went to Parris Island a platoon was caught having a blanket party(about 8weeks in) and they were sent back to week one.

One of my friends friend had about 4 blanket parties(her as the victim). Don't know if they were caught or not.

CantWaitToSign
05-23-07, 11:15 AM
Blanket parties does not sound very exciting to me, especially if it might send us back to week 1!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-23-07, 11:56 AM
The whole platoon was sent back to week 1? I find that a little hard to believe.

HurricaneRJ
05-23-07, 12:57 PM
I was questioning that myself.

I thought the D.I.s would be repremand or demoted, but I find it hard to believe that they would do such a thing.

kbs95125
05-23-07, 01:06 PM
The best thing I was told by a PFC about hitting at boot camp was "Don't believe that a Drill Instructor can't hit you. If they can't use their hands, they will use yours. I was hit by my own hands more times then with the Drill Instructors."

napalm
05-23-07, 04:16 PM
Something like that I belive I'll ask him next time I see him.

thedrifter
05-23-07, 04:31 PM
Locking down